North East Region Regional Board for the North East. Topics like local car shows, cruise nights, good mechanics, machine shops, and so on.

Questions for NJ people

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 305 LB9
Transmission: T5
Questions for NJ people

Hey all - I just relocated to NJ from Long Island and have to change over licenses and registrations, et al. I was reading on the NJ DMV site that I can register my GTA as a collector car and not have to get it inspected. It should pass, except for the visual since I removed A.I.R system. Passes smog in NY anyway. The page says , "Submit a letter from the vehicle manufacturer, recognized car club or a collector organization attesting to the vehicle’s limited production status. Must be printed on official letterhead." Who does this PHS? I imagine that will take a while and negate any cost advantages of not having the car inspected. Is it worth it to register the car this way since I drive the car less than 1000 miles per year? Any insight into the NJ "system" would be appreciated.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 180 Likes on 157 Posts
Re: Questions for NJ people

Most of the Grand National guys that I know here in New Jersey go with Grundy collector car insurance, cuz they are simply the best. Reach out to them, tell them you reside in New Jersey, and they will walk you through the entire process step by step. I'm thinking about going w/them for my '90 GTA as well...;

http://www.grundy.com/
Old 02-01-2010, 04:14 PM

Thanks - I've had American Hobbyist insurance (which is now American Collector or something) since I acquired the car in '02. I've been happy with them so far and they were great to deal with as the car was being restored and the value was changing. Grundy wouldn't deal with me until the car was finished, but I needed insurance during the process - not just at the end. I was more interested in the NJ DMV side of things as I have already changed the insurance to reflect my new address.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

you used to be able to just go to the DMV, fill out a card and have collector status, no questions asked, didnt even have to show proof of collector insurance. well, that "was" the way things were done here in NJ, until about a year and a half ago. now to get collector car status, you have to apply to the state office. You have to prove, with documentation or a letter from an nationally recognized car club/organization, that the car is rare, limited production, ect. I do not know how exactly you determine what club or organization is acceptable for this requirement, and have never seen any info on it. 88gta, its not really that rare, but it is a t5 car, might be able to BS your way in. I guess PHS could do it, but again, the car is not that rare

I used to have my ta setup this way, had it that way for 6 years, before all thei new bullcrap started, but i let my status expire last January and lost my status, now im screwed until next year when the car is 25 and is a historic car. yeah thats important you HAVE to renew on time or you have to start allover again. I think its a 180 dollar ticket for failure to inspect. But if you obey the speed limit and be carefull where you screw around, you shouldn't have a problem, and if you do, play dumb and maybe get a warning?

I currently dont have an valid inspection, expired january 09. I drive the car a little more than you do, never had any problems. You can still register the car, and get insurance, since the collector thing is not the registration, its a status for you inspection, you dont get a different plate, or title on the registration card, just a triangular windo sticker, which you can see in this crappy pic, its green, had orange and blue too.
Name:  PIC00045-2.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  79.7 KB

anyway, if you can get the application from DMV, and a paper from PHS, apply and see what happens. Maybe you will get lucky.

for that matter, take the car through inspection, it might pass if you still have the cat on the car, the techs at the station are not always the brightest tools int he shed, might not even notice the lack of AIR.

Last edited by //<86TA>\\; 02-01-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:44 PM

It has a cat and is basically stock except for the flowmaster and lack of A.I.R. I figure I'll just register it as a "regular" car and try to get it through the inspection without anyone noticing the A.I.R system. If I have a problem, maybe I can circle back around and try the collector thing. There were only 809 t5s in '88. It shouldn't be too tough to sell the "limited" nature of a car with a production run of less than 1000 units.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by gtaproject
It has a cat and is basically stock except for the flowmaster and lack of A.I.R. I figure I'll just register it as a "regular" car and try to get it through the inspection without anyone noticing the A.I.R system. If I have a problem, maybe I can circle back around and try the collector thing. There were only 809 t5s in '88. It shouldn't be too tough to sell the "limited" nature of a car with a production run of less than 1000 units.
well, again, who determines rare? is 1000 rare in their book? or is 50 rare? Its just the typical vague NJ policies at work again. Like i said, give it a shot and see what happens. Lastime i had a vehicle of ago the the inspection station, they didnt even open the hood.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:25 PM

Although hope is not a strategy, that's what I'm hoping will happen. I have three cars to bring there. I'll bring the GTA second or last, or not at all, after I get a feel for the process. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1994 Z28
Engine: 355 LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

My dad is using http://www.americancollectors.com/ on his early 70's drag nova and his 87 grand national, I know the GN is appraised at $35,000 by the company and he pays next to nothing a year for insurance... like $400 a year for the GN.
You have to have a clean license for 3-4 years, no tickets or accidents. Anybody that drives the car must be at least 22 and have a clean record also if I recall correctly.

The collector plates are very picky, the state police have given people tickets who can't prove they are driving to a car show.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:07 AM

Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: LG4 305 carb
Transmission: auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

I had classic insurance for a few months. Its just as cheap and you just get a different inspection sticker. For the inspection they either take the car around the block or ask you to do it and they confirm that the odometer still works. That's it.

~Matt
Old 02-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 180 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by gtaproject
If I have a problem, maybe I can circle back around and try the collector thing. There were only 809 t5s in '88. It shouldn't be too tough to sell the "limited" nature of a car with a production run of less than 1000 units....
This is why I pointed out Grundy because they will do everything for you, and provide you with whatever documentation you may need. My TTA, which is essentially a GTA w/LC2, had a production run of over 1000, and is considered rare. They base the model that they are looking at for that particular year, not collectively (meaning not 82-92). I already spoke to them about my '90 GTA, which has a production run of roughly the same units as yours, 1000 (this is including Canadian cars), and they already said that mine qualified because it is a GTA. You already said that you don't drive the car that much, but if you ever did decide to, simply get your hands on a second cluster, then swap them back and forth when it comes time for them to check the odometer. Either that, or pay an independent shop to pass you....
Old 02-02-2010, 04:24 PM

Car: 91 Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: Built T-5

i would suggest going through a private station for an inspection if you are lacking AIR.....NJ is a PITA when it comes to emmisions standards....everything must be there, and in most state stations the people that work there are knowledgeable and they look for that kind of stuff
Old 02-02-2010, 04:32 PM

Definitely get classic insurance. I only dropped mine because you have to keep the car in a garage. They charged me $150 for the whole year with 10,000 allowed miles. Inspection is literally them checking just your odometer.

~Matt
Old 02-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 86TA4SALE
Definitely get classic insurance. I only dropped mine because you have to keep the car in a garage. They charged me $150 for the whole year with 10,000 allowed miles. Inspection is literally them checking just your odometer.

~Matt
yeah, while it lasted, collector status in NJ was great, no inspection, just an odo check. But its a lot harder to get now than it was 2 years ago.

I dont think it was intended to be taken this way, but you have to take the car to a state inspection station for collector, you cant do it as a private shop
Old 02-03-2010, 10:00 PM

Car: 91 Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: Built T-5

yeah.....NJ takes the fun out of everything
Old 02-04-2010, 05:49 AM

I think I'm going to forego the collector status and just do it straight. I don't really want the 3k/yr restriction even though I haven't driven it that much in the past. I only have an 8 mile commute now and can see myself using it daily in the nice weather in the spring and summer. I may need private station suggestions in the Hillsborough area if I see that the state facility is going to be a problem. I have an '04 Mustang GT to do first. I'll use that as a proxy for how the process goes.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:12 AM

Hey I live in hillsborough. The STS in Princeton on rt 206 is usually good for private inspection. One of my buddies works at a former Jeep/Chrysler dealer. They used to do inspections so I'll ask if they still do.

~Matt
Old 02-23-2010, 08:41 PM

Car: 1984 Trans Am, 2003 Z06 Vette
Engine: zz383
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9" moser 3.70

I have classic registration on my 84 TA, and insurance through Hagerty. Hagerty has no mileage restrictions for classic cars, and inspection is not required in NJ for classic cars. However, you are required to go through inspection with collector registration, and most insurance companies will only allow 3000 miles per year.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87' Iroc
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4

last 2 inspections ive had done in the state facility (june 09 and april 08) did not pop the hood. this was in south jersey near woodbury heights. so if your ODB reads everything clear and you pass the sniffer, you should be fine with no AIR

ive been on the phone all day trying to work out insurance. don't have a garage, so i can't get collectors. and geico only does depreciating value insurance, so im screwed if the car gets totaled.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 5-speed

I'm trying to decide what to do with registering my vehicle in NJ. The way the inspection system works, I wouldn't have to go through inspection any more even with standard plates. If I tried to submit for historic plates, they would probably laugh at the pictures as the body is pretty rough right now. This is a work in progress. The car should hopefully be roadworthy in another week or 2. I got a price quote from Haggerty insurance and its not that cheap, probably because my kids are 18 and 20 years old and want to be listed as drivers. While the car won't be a daily driver, we are planning on having it as a usable vehicle. Here is the current NJ requirements -

Historic registration may be assigned to an antique vehicle which is at least 25 years old.
Vehicle requirements:
• Owned as a collector’s item
• Used solely for exhibition or educational purposes
• Cannot be altered from the manufacturer’s original design in any way
• Equipped for legal operation on NJ roadways

I see QQ plates around quite often, and not at times people would be going to a show or event or educational use. What other benefits of historic vs. regular registration?
Old 05-03-2017, 08:59 AM

Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L 350 TPI (Deleted Cats)
Axle/Gears: Original 3.27

I'm located in central new jersey (Jackson Township). Got mine registered about July of last year as a historic vehicle, most of those other requirements are bull. As long as it is at least 25 years old you should be okay, mine just gets cruised around, and maybe a show here and there. I say just go ahead and try getting it registered as is and if they deny you for who knows what (They shouldn't) then oh well, couldn't hurt to try.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm in Readington/Flemington area. I think I'm more concerned with the amount of use the care may get. I'm sure it will get used more than just a few weekends a year. I guess I'm more concerned about insurance if something were to happen. Building this car is a father/son project, so I can't really tell the kids they can't drive it..
Old 05-03-2017, 09:09 PM

Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L 350 TPI (Deleted Cats)
Axle/Gears: Original 3.27

Originally Posted by BubbaK
Thanks for the info. I'm in Readington/Flemington area. I think I'm more concerned with the amount of use the care may get. I'm sure it will get used more than just a few weekends a year. I guess I'm more concerned about insurance if something were to happen. Building this car is a father/son project, so I can't really tell the kids they can't drive it..
Thats you're issue. If you're kids are not 25+ they cannot drive it if it is registered as a historic vehicle (According to the law) but if you really trust them with not getting pulled over in it or getting into an accident you should be okay. But if you want it done legally you need to have regular plates on it.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 GTA/90 Iroc Vert
Engine: 5.7/5.0L
Transmission: 700R4 x 2
Axle/Gears: 3.27/2.73

I have QQ tags on both cars, don't drive them much in winter. I had to sign form saying no one under 25 YO can drive the cars as 791 said.

Insure it right if you plan on driving it regularly, Historic insurance is light, god forbid a bad accident.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the info.. I spoke to a friend of mine thats a cop and also owns a repair shop that does NJ state inspections.. He said the advantage with the QQ plates was that you didn't need a state inspection or emission requirements. The state recently changed the inspection laws and now any car pre 1997 (or 95, don't remember) does not need a state inspection. You can still get pulled over/get tickets for failure to maintain items, but don't need inspection. He suggested since my kids want to drive it, to register it as a regular vehicle. Can always change it down the road.