North East Region Regional Board for the North East. Topics like local car shows, cruise nights, good mechanics, machine shops, and so on.

Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009 | 10:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 193 Likes on 164 Posts
Re: Looking for advice

Originally Posted by Mrbrent86
What heads would you suggest?I read aluminum could cause problems. And the Walbro 255 high pressure fuel pump I'm looking at says for 85-91, from Inline motor stores, would it work with my 82 CFI?
The Walbro's, like the stock TPI units, are located in the fuel tank, so the tank needs to be dropped. Some people have cut trap doors in the back, but that will only ruin any future value that the car might bring (I'm not against the idea, nor am I even for it, kind neutral about the idea, but it does simplify future pump swaps though, lemme tell ya). The sending unit is what holds the pump in the fuel tank, as well as consisting of your feed, return and vented fuel lines. You can make the stock one work, but like I suggested earlier, if the fuel tank is pulled, why not just spring for a TPI sending unit, it makes the transition that much easier. If your considering running the Walbro 255 fuel pump with CFI, your going to need to get an adjustable fuel pump regulator to lower psi down to a safe level (I believe CFI will be happy w/15-psi of fuel). TPI though, you'll want closer to 50-psiand up when you boost, and thats why you need the Walbro 255, to keep up with the fueling demands....

Now, when it comes to boost, any Gen1 SBC head will do, so long as it's in a safe compression range (no less than 72-cc). The stock Grand National Turbo heads flow horribly (if I showed you pictures, you wouldn't believe it), but because its boosted, they flow more efficiently than a naturally aspirated worked head. The turbo is going to push that air in their regardless how tiny the ports are. I wouldn't bother with aluminum heads, as I have seen them rip in half under detonation. Yes, they can easily be fixed (for a price), but why bother with that delay if it ever happened? The iron heads, although heavier, get the job done just as well, and in some cases, better. Trust me, you don't need to spend a lot of money on aftermarket heads, as I showed you earlier, that 350-TPI was running truck heads (worse flow than the heads that are already on your CFI), and it ran a best of 9.74 with them. That should tell you right there, with boost, the heads aren't that big of a deal for the numbers your looking to run. Yes, better heads wield better results, but it isn't necessary, not in a street car, anyways. Look what Tim was able to accomplish with an almost bone stock TPI engine....;

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...350/index.html
Old 10-15-2009 | 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 82 Z28 Camaro
Engine: 305 5.0L V8 CFI
Transmission: automatic

So do you suggest getting a new or used TPI system? And I guess I'll go right ahead with ordering the Walbro 255 with the fuel line, but wait till I get the TPI system to replace the sending unit like you said while I do the pump, but the Walbro for Chevy I was looking at says 85-91 Camaro, will it work with mine? Suggestion on where to order the fuel line from and how much of it, and what disconnect tool, like I said before I read a lot of bad things about the plastic ones.
Old 10-15-2009 | 11:09 AM

And I read further up that stock pistons could be a problem? I suppose I should forget the heads for now, and do something about the pistons before I throw on the Turbo?Again I might be getting ahead of myself, I'm just learning and you've been more than helpful. Got a call about officer training this morning(start this summer) and I may be leaving for ranger school in jan.(depending on the shoulder) so I wanna get the ball rolling and make up my mind bc I plan on ordering all of these parts at once.
Old 10-15-2009 | 11:22 AM
Supreme Member

So do you suggest getting a new or used TPI system? And I guess I'll go right ahead with ordering the Walbro 255 with the fuel line, but wait till I get the TPI system to replace the sending unit like you said while I do the pump, but the Walbro for Chevy I was looking at says 85-91 Camaro, will it work with mine? Suggestion on where to order the fuel line from and how much of it, and what disconnect tool, like I said before I read a lot of bad things about the plastic ones....
You will definitely want to get a used TPI setup, as they are cheap enough, and you can get them complete. Sensors and fittings are a dime a dozen, but if you opt for new sensors, it can get a little costly. You'll find everything you need on ebay. The beauty of Megasquirt II, is that you don't need to run a MAF sensor for your TPI, as it has a built in MAP sensor. You'll just need things like ESC (Electronic Spark Control), TPS (Throttle Position Sensor), IAC (Idle Air Control), IAT (Intake Air Temperature), CTS (Coolant Temp Sensor), and a few others. It sounds like a lot, but its not, you can have it wired up in a few minutes, once the length of the wiring has been determined. You can run your stock TCC (Torque Converter Control), and fuel pump relay. Removing the stock fuel line requires basic hand tools, as there are a couple of saginaw fittings, and regular hose clamps to deal with. I only order from Summt Racing, as I've been with them since day one. Just tell them your running Tune Port Injection in a third gen, as they have all of the measurements, beforehand, as well as diameters (they'll know). The reason why Walbro states 85-91 is because it is exclusively for TPI, and TPI was introduced in '85, but that is most certainly the one you want though....
Old 10-15-2009 | 11:28 AM
Supreme Member

This is a TPI sending unit, I have two spares in my garage....;

Name:  100_0110.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  75.2 KB
Name:  100_0199.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  40.5 KB
Old 10-15-2009 | 11:32 AM
Supreme Member

And I read further up that stock pistons could be a problem? I suppose I should forget the heads for now, and do something about the pistons before I throw on the Turbo? Again I might be getting ahead of myself, I'm just learning and you've been more than helpful. Got a call about officer training this morning (start this summer) and I may be leaving for ranger school in jan (depending on the shoulder) so I wanna get the ball rolling and make up my mind bc I plan on ordering all of these parts at once....
You can get away with your stockcast ones for now, as the idea is to control detonation, so you want to take it easy on your timing, and run as cool as possible. Conservative timing, and a nice Front Mount Intercooler, will allow those cast slugs to last awhile....
Old 10-15-2009 | 11:34 AM

So I'll need to purchase a complete TPI setup, I've gotten a few responses about some on this site, and run that TPI sending unit, along with the walbro before bothering with the fuel line as the lengths will be dependent on the TPI system being installed right, also that sending unit should come with the TPI setup right.
Old 10-15-2009 | 11:38 AM

One of the responses I received on the TPI setup inquired about whether I wanted direct fit "bolt-on" 85-86 style TPI Manifold or centerbolt head 87-up TPI manifold, which do you suggest?
Old 10-15-2009 | 11:43 AM
Supreme Member

So I'll need to purchase a complete TPI setup, I've gotten a few responses about some on this site, and run that TPI sending unit, along with the walbro before bothering with the fuel line as the lengths will be dependent on the TPI system being installed right, also that sending unit should come with the TPI setup right.
Not always, so make sure your getting it with your setup beforehand. You can always buy one separately, again, check on ebay, or even on this board, every now and then. As for the setup, all your looking for is the lower TPI intake, TPI runners, TPI plenum, TPI fuel rail (w/injectors of your choice), TPI Throttle Body & TPI Distributor (either fat cap of thin cap will do, which basically just means w/internal and/or external coil), and of course, the corresponding sensors and connections. From there, the Megasquirt ties right in. Again, sounds like a lot, but if you have everything in front of you, a few hours tops (and thats with a few breaks in between)....
Old 10-15-2009 | 11:46 AM
Supreme Member

One of the responses I received on the TPI setup inquired about whether I wanted direct fit "bolt-on" 85-86 style TPI Manifold or centerbolt head 87-up TPI manifold, which do you suggest?
If your going to run your stock heads for now, you will want the 85-86 setup, as the later ones are set up for the centerbolt heads, and the center four bolts on the lower intake are elongated (it won't line up with your stock heads). You can get the 87-up setup to work, by why waste your time though....
Old 10-15-2009 | 11:50 AM

Will the 85-86 setup work when I get around to getting new heads?
Old 10-15-2009 | 12:01 PM
Supreme Member

Will the 85-86 setup work when I get around to getting new heads?
Yes, but make sure you order the non-centerbolt style heads (86-down). Why GM decided to do the centerbolt thingy I have no idea, as the only real benefit to the 87-up is a better fitting valve cover gasket (they seat better in the centerbolt valve covers, as they have less play to move around)....
Old 10-15-2009 | 12:06 PM

And I won't be able to replace the fuel lines until I install the TPI system being that they will be cut to those specifications right? Just trying to figure out the most I can do right now while I'm waiting for the parts to come in, I'm impatient and I wanna start driving it already haha.
Old 10-15-2009 | 12:19 PM
Supreme Member

And I won't be able to replace the fuel lines until I install the TPI system being that they will be cut to those specifications right? Just trying to figure out the most I can do right now while I'm waiting for the parts to come in, I'm impatient and I wanna start driving it already haha....
If this turbo setup is going to happen, what you can do is start prepping for the FMI (Front Mount Intercooler), and both how, and where, you are going to run your intake lines. The TPI cannot go on until the Megasquirt II is there, otherwise the car will be motionless until the ECU (computer) gets there, and I'm sure you still wanna drive it in the interim. You could also start doing the exhaust, but only from the catalytic converter and back, obviously, because the down pipe from the turbo will be from the catalytic converter, forward. It isn't really necessary on automatics, but you can also run a BOV (blow off valve), so you can start looking into the different sounds that are offered. Other than that, your going to have to wait....
Old 10-15-2009 | 12:23 PM
Supreme Member

Also, wanted to point out, another thing you'll want to do until you eventually do go with forged pistons, is use regular head gaskets. Don't get cometics. This way, if something goes wrong, the gasket will blow, and it's only ten to twenty dollars to replace, as opposed to a piston. This is why some turbo guys purposely run cheap head gaskets, it is cheap insurance, because they are guaranteed to "give" first....
Old 10-15-2009 | 12:26 PM
Supreme Member

... oh, and, here is a little inspiration to get that 3rd gen DONE!

http://www.fquick.com/videos/Wild_Fbody_Video_6/2580
Old 10-15-2009 | 12:43 PM

haha very nice. what an addiction. I guess the megasquirt can go in before everything else. Then I'll just have to do the TPI, fuel lines, pump at the same time. first part of my exhaust then complete it when I add the Turbo. The time frame I'm looking at is starting once I put it on the road, and am done with the tune up I'm doing, beginning of next week hopefully. The fuel lines were just important right now because the garage I had it checked out before purchase said I should change em out, but I guess I have to wait now till the TPI comes.