North East Region Regional Board for the North East. Topics like local car shows, cruise nights, good mechanics, machine shops, and so on.

Title issues in Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Title issues in Ohio

I've got an issue with the title of my car. I am trying to get in contact with the guy that sold me the car. Anyways, here is what happened this morning...

I went to the title bureau to get my temp tags/title renewed, they expired on november and I didn't bother renewing since it was going to sit in my garage all winter. I took the title in and said I needed to get it renewed. The lady would not process it because the name on the back is signed as "James S. ******", and the front of the title says the owner is "Shannon ******". Shannon just happens to be James' middle name. Anyways, the seller lives about 2.5 hours south of me (unless he's moved recently). I tried calling him and left him a voice mail about it.

The lady at the bureau told me that he has to fill out a form getting a new title, and sign it as Shannon then do the transfer. Technically, the car was never transferred to me and is still in their name

Let's say I don't hear back from the seller, what are my options? I really have never been in a situation like this or even heard of anything like this. The office down where he lives processed the transfer, even though the back was signed James and the front said Shannon and issued me temporary tags. The office up here won't touch it...

Any help would be appreciated

I just hope that I hear back from the seller and this can go smoothly...
Old 04-12-2008, 12:02 PM

Car: 87 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 408 LS
Transmission: LS 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt/3.70 Gears/TAP Girdle
Re: Title issues in Ohio

Originally Posted by tekkitan
I've got an issue with the title of my car. I am trying to get in contact with the guy that sold me the car. Anyways, here is what happened this morning...

I went to the title bureau to get my temp tags/title renewed, they expired on november and I didn't bother renewing since it was going to sit in my garage all winter. I took the title in and said I needed to get it renewed. The lady would not process it because the name on the back is signed as "James S. ******", and the front of the title says the owner is "Shannon ******". Shannon just happens to be James' middle name. Anyways, the seller lives about 2.5 hours south of me (unless he's moved recently). I tried calling him and left him a voice mail about it.

The lady at the bureau told me that he has to fill out a form getting a new title, and sign it as Shannon then do the transfer. Technically, the car was never transferred to me and is still in their name

Let's say I don't hear back from the seller, what are my options? I really have never been in a situation like this or even heard of anything like this. The office down where he lives processed the transfer, even though the back was signed James and the front said Shannon and issued me temporary tags. The office up here won't touch it...

Any help would be appreciated

I just hope that I hear back from the seller and this can go smoothly...
call the state DMV in columbus and see what they say.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by CashMunson
call the state DMV in columbus and see what they say.
Thanks. I may have to. I have not heard back from him yet =\
Old 04-12-2008, 05:42 PM

Car: 1985 Corvette/Searching For F-body
Engine: 350 TPI/????
Transmission: 4+3 Manual/????
Axle/Gears: 3.23/????

I would call your DMV and ask them if they will accept a "letter of correction". IF they do I would type up a letter of correction stating that the title was signed by "James" Shannon's husband by mistake. I deal with mostly RI and CT titles and in both states they accept letters of corrections. If you want feel free to call me and I will try to explain more to you. IT is kind of hard to explain by typing. Let me know and I will PM you my phone #.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by gkrynick22
I would call your DMV and ask them if they will accept a "letter of correction". IF they do I would type up a letter of correction stating that the title was signed by "James" Shannon's husband by mistake. I deal with mostly RI and CT titles and in both states they accept letters of corrections. If you want feel free to call me and I will try to explain more to you. IT is kind of hard to explain by typing. Let me know and I will PM you my phone #.
Sorry for not replying sooner. Thanks for the information. I finally got in touch with the previous owner (he claims he broke his phone and couldn't find my number. I suppose I'll believe him ). He is getting together with his brother (James) and they are going to work out the title issue for me. Such a relief!