North East Region Regional Board for the North East. Topics like local car shows, cruise nights, good mechanics, machine shops, and so on.

PIttsburgh

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Trans Am, 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 400 SBC, H.O. 305
Transmission: TH400, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt/3.73s, 10 Bolt/3.73s
Re: PIttsburgh

Well it looks like my weekend is all penciled in Haha. I work 7-5 tomorrow, and it looks like me an Josh (Hotrod) are getting probably 1/3 FBodys Im buying. We plan to pick up the other 2 Sunday sometime.

85' Purple/Silver Trans Am.

Plan to keep to try and get the title for it (Supposedly his local police have it) and put it back on the road for a beater. Otherwise, Ill strip the drivetrain and make it a future drag car.

86' Red Firebird.

No Engine/Trans. Some interior is in good shape still. Most body panels are good. Was a factory Non AC car, so theres my AC Delete Box.

88' White Trans Am.

Says it has a 350/700R4, but Im thinking it has a 305. (Havent looked under the hood, because the one time I went up to look at them I couldnt get in any of them everything was too frozen) I plan to take that drivetrain out, and put it in the 85' if I get a title. If not, Ill part it out too cuz I wont want a 305 for a drag car just a beater. Most body panels are in good shape, and the interior isnt in the car, but the guy has it and is giving me it. Ill be keeping the rearend out of it, becaue supposedly its a 3.73 Posi like mine, and will be great if/when mine grenades.

If any of you are looking for cheap parts off of the 86'/88' or drivetrain out of the 85' let me know. Im selling parts off of them cheap, just trying to make a little dough to fund my build. You can PM me, or email me at bobby_stipkovic@comcast.net. Once I have them in my possesion Ill make threads in the Classifieds with pics and more info, but I wanted to give all of you the heads up first.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 375 Likes on 303 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

No Engine/Trans. Some interior is in good shape still. Most body panels are good. Was a factory Non AC car, so theres my AC Delete Box.
picture of wiring so i can get mine working again
Old 01-16-2009, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 383 FFI
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I need black interior parts

Justin, sent you an IM. We're interested but hes worried about being able to pay for it because I only have just shy of $2000 cash. Hes just as broke. Still, it may save alot of chaos of engine machine work and yadda yadda yadda. I don't know.

mainly, he was wondering about two things. Is it internally balanced? (i think you said yes), and why on the site does it list mahle pistons but you have SRPs??
Old 01-16-2009, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
picture of wiring so i can get mine working again
No doubt. I got you

Originally Posted by LMSkyliner
I need black interior parts

Justin, sent you an IM. We're interested but hes worried about being able to pay for it because I only have just shy of $2000 cash. Hes just as broke. Still, it may save alot of chaos of engine machine work and yadda yadda yadda. I don't know.

mainly, he was wondering about two things. Is it internally balanced? (i think you said yes), and why on the site does it list mahle pistons but you have SRPs??

Not sure if any have black interior, but he might have some with his extra parts stash. Justins engine is Internally Balanced, all SBCs are internally balanced except for 400s.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Stippy17
Justins engine is Internally Balanced, all SBCs are internally balanced except for 400s.

not all. Alot of crankshafts are externally balanced. Maybe its just a 383 thing since the crank is essentially a 400 crank, but they make both int and ext balanced 383 cranks. I NEED a int balanced one.

Though I believe your right in saying his is int. balanced.

And don't worry about the interior. I have a fully functional interior. It's just that its 1/2 black and 1/2 grey
Old 01-16-2009, 10:22 PM

not all. Alot of crankshafts are externally balanced. Maybe its just a 383 thing since the crank is essentially a 400 crank, but they make both int and ext balanced 383 cranks. I NEED a int balanced one.

Though I believe your right in saying his is int. balanced.

And don't worry about the interior. I have a fully functional interior. It's just that its 1/2 black and 1/2 grey

Yes well a 383 is not factory, I meant factory SBCs are all Internally Balanced except for 400s. Some 383s can be Externally Balanced, because like you said its essentially a 400 crank your using. May I ask why you have to be internally balanced for your setup?

Actually Im kind of in the same boat lol. All my interior is Dark Grey/Black, except for my hatch. Its all the original grey plastics with gey carpet. The Carpet itself is black, but not the carpet on the plastics. When I was buying interior to swap in, I never found black hatch pieces.

Oh well, doesnt look to bad, and I can deal with it lol.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Stippy17
Yes well a 383 is not factory, I meant factory SBCs are all Internally Balanced except for 400s. Some 383s can be Externally Balanced, because like you said its essentially a 400 crank your using. May I ask why you have to be internally balanced for your setup?

Actually Im kind of in the same boat lol. All my interior is Dark Grey/Black, except for my hatch. Its all the original grey plastics with gey carpet. The Carpet itself is black, but not the carpet on the plastics. When I was buying interior to swap in, I never found black hatch pieces.

Oh well, doesnt look to bad, and I can deal with it lol.
cause I want to use my 350 flywheel

plus it just makes sense that something which is in itself balanced will wear and perform better than something which is forced into balance by an outside object.

even if that isnt true
Old 01-17-2009, 01:01 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

My motor is internally balanced in that it will require neutral balance flexplate/flywheel and neutral balancer. there are ALOT of options there so your fine in that category.

Golen's site gives a basic description. When you place an order, you are suppose to call him to verify engine details and final parts that you want to include. I had my choice of scat or eagle cranks/rods and i went eagle. I had my choice of piston too. I told him i want 11 to 1 compression and i needed forged. I saw mahle and srp had decent priced pistons fitting my needs and we went with SRP because of the nitrous. Mahles were not recommended to me.

Golen will build whatever you want. You tell him what you need and he gets it for you. The price is gonna be subject to what you order, but the price he lists is a basic idea of what its gonna cost

I wanted 2500 for this thing but i may let it go for 2 grand to you just because your local and i could use money for this new build. I'd love to get like 2200-2300 tho if you can fork it

EDIT you can take your 350 flywheel and have it neutral balanced. There should be a weight on it that you will need to remove and a machine shop could rebalance it for you to neutral
Old 01-17-2009, 11:15 AM

My motor is internally balanced in that it will require neutral balance flexplate/flywheel and neutral balancer. there are ALOT of options there so your fine in that category.

Golen's site gives a basic description. When you place an order, you are suppose to call him to verify engine details and final parts that you want to include. I had my choice of scat or eagle cranks/rods and i went eagle. I had my choice of piston too. I told him i want 11 to 1 compression and i needed forged. I saw mahle and srp had decent priced pistons fitting my needs and we went with SRP because of the nitrous. Mahles were not recommended to me.

Golen will build whatever you want. You tell him what you need and he gets it for you. The price is gonna be subject to what you order, but the price he lists is a basic idea of what its gonna cost

I wanted 2500 for this thing but i may let it go for 2 grand to you just because your local and i could use money for this new build. I'd love to get like 2200-2300 tho if you can fork it
ah ok that makes sense. And i think I already have a neutral balance 350 flywheel at the house from another engine.

Im kinda in a bind here as far as price because I am obviously interested in the engine, but im short on cash. I know what i CAN offer and i know what i would WANT to offer, and also what i want you to get out of it.

If i hadn't been talking to you for so long I woulda just offered what i could straight up, but as it is I would love to see ya get $3400 out of it if ya could yanno? . I feel like I'm robbing you if i took it for anything less than its worth. Thats why, since I can hold off on the engine for a bit, I would feel better both for me and you if ya had a good chance to sell it for $2500 before I came in and lowballed you.

yea I think that sums it up...

On a more personal note. In just a few short hours the Camaro will FINALLY be in the garage for the LAST TIME. It's been moved in and out so many times its getting rediculous. This time is for real. We have storage set for the Mustang, storage open for any extra camaro parts, a painting schedule set, and scuffpads/sanders and putty at the ready! It's body work time

and I'm going to try to video tape it going into the garage to create a video when I'm all done... Besides, it might be amusing because the driveway is solid ice, and the last time i tried to get a thirdgen up an ice driveway I went backwards

edit: I know this is a hell of a long shot, but you don't happen to need anything that I could get or find for you to help pay, do you? Any hard-to-find part that I might know of? I got alot of random crap in my garage too.. I can't really think of ANYTHING that would be useful to you but i'm trying...

Last edited by LMSkyliner; 01-17-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

I dont know of anything i may need at this time but I'll tell you what. I've been thinking about this. Based on this market and the pricing of this motor, i honestly dont think it will sell anytime soon at 2,500. 2,500 is a nice deal on this setup but i cant hold onto this motor forever because soon as i order that other block and stuff, it needs to go on my stand for assembly and i have no room for another engine on another stand. One has to go, i already have a old L98 laying on the floor.

I figure i have another month or so before i'd get to order that new motor, unless i can sell the 383 off now which will help fund a quicker purchase. I shouldnt try to rush things, but you know me i want this thing done asap. I want to drive in april I still gotta get my T56 build so the longer i hold off with selling parts, the worse off I am.

If you offer me 2000 for the shortblock its yours.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:42 PM

I dont know of anything i may need at this time but I'll tell you what. I've been thinking about this. Based on this market and the pricing of this motor, i honestly dont think it will sell anytime soon at 2,500. 2,500 is a nice deal on this setup but i cant hold onto this motor forever because soon as i order that other block and stuff, it needs to go on my stand for assembly and i have no room for another engine on another stand. One has to go, i already have a old L98 laying on the floor.

I figure i have another month or so before i'd get to order that new motor, unless i can sell the 383 off now which will help fund a quicker purchase. I shouldnt try to rush things, but you know me i want this thing done asap. I want to drive in april I still gotta get my T56 build so the longer i hold off with selling parts, the worse off I am.

If you offer me 2000 for the shortblock its yours.

Ok. It's worth it to me. Let me work on my father. He knows its worth it but is reluctant to spend all the money on one thing all at once.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Well its a complete shortblock and everything you need to start that buildup. Just need heads since the compression will be high for most iron 64cc heads. need aluminum
Old 01-17-2009, 04:21 PM

Well its a complete shortblock and everything you need to start that buildup. Just need heads since the compression will be high for most iron 64cc heads. need aluminum

yup. just need heads... and a cam. lifters would be nice. my timing chain's junk...

/trails off listing random stupid nickel and dime parts i dont have on hand.

I'll try crunching some numbers to throw at my dad and see what he thinks.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:02 AM

Picked up the 85' Trans Am tonight guys with the help of Josh (Hotrod). Roads turned horrible on the way home, and we had a few interesting moments lol, but its now at my house and so is Josh. We felt it would be safer (Roads are horrible) and easier (Hell already be here to go get the other 2 cars tomorrow) so he is staying the night.

His Dodge Ram & Trailer are the **** Haha, I cant thank him enough for helping me out. Its covered in a lot of snow right now, but the car looks like a pretty solid car. Definetely be a nice lil project to start on after Im done with my 86' Build.

Pics to come maybe tomorrow..
Old 01-19-2009, 06:01 PM

Car: 1988 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: BW 3.27

Thanks. I'm not too sure about the truck being the **** now. Should have been able to make it up that hill. Sorry things didn't work out sunday. I do feel bad about that. Guess i need to get some real tires on that thing. Thanks again for giving me a place to stay saturday, and thank your mom for the stuffed shells, they were very good. I had some for lunch today.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:11 PM

Hey man everything happens for a reason. I just wasnt meant to own the other two. Thats $250 that can go towards heads that I would have had to make back if I would have bought them. They werent even in as great of shape as I had imagined. Besides, I ended up with the best one out of the three haha.

No problem on you sleeping over, anytime you need to man your welcome. Ill let my mom know you liked the Shells lol, Tyler told you she likes to feed everyone lol.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:15 PM

you guys sounded like ya had a good time regardless!

If you dont mind me asking, what happened?? It sounds like the truck couldnt get up a slippery/icy hill. Too bad I wasnt there! Maybe i coulda put my engineering skills to good use and got you guys up that hill .

Got any pics of the one you DID get?? I'd like to see!

I needa go on adventures like this sometime...
Old 01-19-2009, 06:34 PM

Hmm... lets see. First car didn't want to leave its resting spot. Snowed like a b!@#$ saturday night. Jack knifed the trailer making a left, couldn't stop more times than i can count, more cars off the side of the road than i could count, almost rearended stippy's dads truck at least once, got mine stuck turning around in my driveway, jackasses in big rigs passing me and making the road and everything around disappear and causing us to navigate the highway blind, and thats all i can think of from saturday night. I need a break before talk about sunday.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by hotrod16105
Hmm... lets see. First car didn't want to leave its resting spot. Snowed like a b!@#$ saturday night. Jack knifed the trailer making a left, couldn't stop more times than i can count, more cars off the side of the road than i could count, almost rearended stippy's dads truck at least once, got mine stuck turning around in my driveway, jackasses in big rigs passing me and making the road and everything around disappear and causing us to navigate the highway blind, and thats all i can think of from saturday night. I need a break before talk about sunday.
Yup not to mention we didnt go over 35 MPH on the way home, because the roads were so bad.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:01 PM

Yeah, that didn't help. I'm sure i forgot something from saturday.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

wow cant believe you guys went for it... this weekend sucked ***. roads were nast from friday evening to sunday morning! it never stopped snowing
Old 01-19-2009, 07:41 PM

wow cant believe you guys went for it... this weekend sucked ***. roads were nast from friday evening to sunday morning! it never stopped snowing
It wasn't bad when we left. That changed once we got up there.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:57 PM

and here I thought they were the best roads we've had all year! I wasted nearly a tank of gas playing around in the truck

But towing something on those roads? Yea that doesn't sound that fun...

Any hits on your engine yet Justin?
Old 01-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

no but i got interest in the headers
Old 01-19-2009, 08:10 PM

and here I thought they were the best roads we've had all year! I wasted nearly a tank of gas playing around in the truck

But towing something on those roads? Yea that doesn't sound that fun...

Any hits on your engine yet Justin?

I had to learn somehow. I've run a trailer in everything but snow and ice. Now i've done that. Probably wont do it too often. I did still have some fun though. Spun the truck around a little in the parking lot after i dropped the trailer. Thats the best part of winter, perhaps the only good part.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:14 PM

no but i got interest in the headers
thats good! I feel alittle better now .

I'm still working on my dad over the shortblock. He still doesn't like the idea of spenting every cent i got. He made the comment today, "even if all you need is a scuff pad to do some paint prep, you're broke! You have nothing! Sure you have a great engine in the basement but what use is that if you cannot use it".

So i gotta work around that . I guess i'm making progress though. It's better than a No
Old 01-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

just gotta keep saving man. My arguement is buy while you can since your gonna need to do it anyway. So if you go broke now, just keep saving. Atleast the hard part is done

However thats just me wanting this motor gone But my logic does make sense. Deals come and go, and i've passed up on MANY good deals that i should have snagged. I hate regrets
Old 01-25-2009, 11:03 PM

Still no luck?????

i got some pictures i needa upload. they make me happy
Old 01-26-2009, 02:30 AM

Pics of what?

I may throw some pics up of the $300 85' I picked up. Next time its out of my garage Ill snap some pics. I already swept the carpet, threw in my old Black/Grey seats from my 86', and put 3 boxes of baking soda in it for the smell haha.

Remember that I believe 88/89 Notchback I snagged the 3 in. Exhaust, 16" Gold GTA Wheels, and Misc parts off of? Well Eddy still has it, and now that I have my parents ok with the idea of a parts car or two in the driveway for a little while I may snag it up for some parts. Eddy is an awsome guy who is supposed to help me try an figure out this wiring nightmare this 85' has, and hes going to help me wire my 86' for a V8. He still wants the seats, and rearend, but there are some usable parts I can use, and I think he'll give me a good deal on it. Its missing the T5 Tranny, Front Clip, what I bought, and Seats/Rearend whenever he takes them off of it. Parts I can use:

Notchback Hatch (For 86') Cool look, and good for weight reduction.
Windshield (For 85') Needs one because its cracked.
Interior Plastics (Both Cars)
Carpet (For 85') I dunno if the carpet in it is savable.
Drivers Door (for 85') Needs a better one.
H.O. Running 305 (For 85') Better than trying to get the 305 in it just to see what he blew.
V8 Cluster (For 85') I dont like the 80 MPH thats in there now.

There may be more, but thats def. a good amount of parts I can use. I wish he hadnt butchered the floor to get the tranny out. From what I can remember there wasnt much rust I dont think. Woulda been cool to restore it, but putting its parts to good use is just as good I think.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:13 PM

Over the past few days I have come to this conclusion.

Body work can kiss my a$$
Old 01-31-2009, 05:29 PM

Haha. Welcome to my world. What problems are you having?

Last edited by hotrod16105; 01-31-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:07 PM

Haha. Welcome to my world. What problems are you having?

no problems..

just sanding sandin sandin sandin sandin sandin sandin sandin.

followed by food.

then

sandin sandin sandin sandin sandin sandin

maybe a few screws to get the next part off

sandin sandin sandin sandin sandin sandin sandin sandin sandin sandin

Old 01-31-2009, 06:12 PM

Haha. Yeah, the sanding can be a pain. The more time you spend there getting it right the better it will turn out. It just takes a lot of patience.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:36 PM

Haha. Yeah, the sanding can be a pain. The more time you spend there getting it right the better it will turn out. It just takes a lot of patience.
Not patient....

I love the mechanics of cars.. this aesthetics stuff is killing me..
Old 01-31-2009, 06:45 PM

Not patient....

I love the mechanics of cars.. this aesthetics stuff is killing me..
Alot of people i know say the same thing. I like doing everything i can do myself. The only thing that i dont seem to have patience for is sitting down and doing the math and research to build the proper engine combo. For that i'd rather pay someone else to do it. I can put the parts together, but i'll leave the figuring to someone who knows better.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:02 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

i love mechanical stuff but i'm impatient too I just like buying parts, looking at them and then dreaming about whats its like once its finally together
Old 01-31-2009, 07:06 PM

i love mechanical stuff but i'm impatient too I just like buying parts, looking at them and then dreaming about whats its like once its finally together
I didn't get that one at first. Now i do.
I just look at parts and dream about buying them.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:49 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

I actually planned and did some work on my layout and i feel confident now in my build this winter/spring. But i have looked at parts and keep thinking of what it will be like to run 9's LOL Not sure if i will ever get it done tho haha
Old 01-31-2009, 08:56 PM

All i can say is that i'm very jealous. I think i want to see it done almost as much as you do. If everything works out is should be a blast to drive. Just got to learn how to shift!
Old 01-31-2009, 11:27 PM

The math and research is my favorite thing! I've had more fun working out some blueprints for this engine than I have in a long time..

Go for those 9s justin .

ill just be putzing behind you with lowly 10s

I needa get some more work done. Tomorrow is my unbolt-bag-tag day. We're taking both fenders, spoilers, hatch, hood, front bumper and maybe the doors off all tomorrow. sound fun??? Then i get to sand it all.

id rather be putting some engine parts together. I think I have solid plans no matter what happens.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:54 PM

As long as you're enjoying it. I dont mind the math, it was my best subject in school. Everyone has patience, just different things for different people. Sounds like you have a busy day tomorrow. Are you getting that done before the Superbowl?
Old 02-01-2009, 12:00 AM

As long as you're enjoying it. I dont mind the math, it was my best subject in school. Everyone has patience, just different things for different people. Sounds like you have a busy day tomorrow. Are you getting that done before the Superbowl?
before during and after.. there is a radio and a tv in the garage (the TV i just moved in myself for this special occasion)
Old 02-01-2009, 12:03 AM

Thats cool. I tend to listen to the Pens games while working on my cars. Lately that has meant alot of thrown tools and broken stuff.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:05 AM

Thats cool. I tend to listen to the Pens games while working on my cars. Lately that has meant alot of thrown tools and broken stuff.
well according to my mother, only one team can be doing good in pittsburgh at a time. So she said she doesnt mind the pens losing cause it means the steelers are gonna win..

its a weird superstitious thing i guess, but its right an eerily large amount of the time...
Old 02-01-2009, 12:08 AM

That is very true. Thats probably why i cant wait til the game is over. Perhaps then things will go better for the pens. I'm not much of a football fan, but of course i want the Steelers to win.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:01 AM

Car: 89 camaro
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4 w/ shift kit
Axle/Gears: stockers

im not soo hot on the engine building side and not yet completly mastered painting but i love suspension, braking and interior. i recently bought a 91 chevy 4x4 fullsize so im gonna practice my painting on it alittle then put a good paint job on the camaro.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by deadman
im not soo hot on the engine building side and not yet completly mastered painting but i love suspension, braking and interior. i recently bought a 91 chevy 4x4 fullsize so im gonna practice my painting on it alittle then put a good paint job on the camaro.
Thats a great way to learn. I made sure my first paint job was on a beater. It turned out pretty good, but the next one was even better.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:10 PM

here ya guys go.. scroll down to the bottom. sorry for all the pics:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/memb...ld-thread.html
Old 02-04-2009, 05:33 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS, 1999 GMC Jimmy
Engine: 305 TBI, 4.2L I6
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60-E
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73, 10 Bolt Posi 3.42

Hey anyone going to World of Wheels this weekend?
Old 02-04-2009, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by ruberbanman126
Hey anyone going to World of Wheels this weekend?
I'm supposed to. My dad is trying to get tickets right now. His union rep usually hands out a few and he tries to get em every couple years so me and him can go.

Quick Reply: PIttsburgh