North East Region Regional Board for the North East. Topics like local car shows, cruise nights, good mechanics, machine shops, and so on.

dishonest cops

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 Z-28
Engine: 305 Qjet
Transmission: 700r-4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
dishonest cops

I got another unjust ticket last night. It's my fourth ticket in the last year. I have not paid for the last three as they have all been dropped.

my question is can a officer see how many tickets you have been written/paid for in the past from his car?

It's was in Buffalo, NY that I got hit up last night. The cop was driving the other way, did a u-turn and pulled me over. My cruise control was set to 76-77. He says I was going exactly 80. He took a visual and a radar reading, however he couldn't show me the radar reading because "we were in a unsafe location". There were not cars anywhere and I believe he wrote up my speed to 80 in a attempt to actually get me to pay a ticket. Have cops really gone so low to lie about how fast someone is going to write a ticket. It's absurd to me.

Heres the first three tickets I got out of just for everyones curiosity.

1.40 in a 20mph school zone -- it wasn't a school day when i got pulled over it was a holiday
2.failure to signal in lechworth state park, there wasn't another car for miles I was going 10mph also - had a mechanic "fix" my tail light
3.to safe for condition - I passed a cop in a passing zone 45mph limit, i was doing 40 he was doing 20. truth is i could see that it was a cop, but i t was a legit pasing zone, provided dated weather map to show the light snow conditions
Old 11-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1995 Formula; 1976 Trans Am
Engine: LT1; None
Transmission: T56; None
I can understand your frustration, but, let me ask you this: what was the limit where you got pulled over? If the limit was 65, and you had your cruise set for 76-77, then what can your beef be? If you got pulled over for doing 5 above, then that's pretty crappy, but 10 or 11 over and you should realize you are rolling the dice on a cop stopping you.

Not trying to be a dink, but I hope you get what I am saying.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:10 PM

im not trying to say I wasn't speeding, I'm mad because its for 80mph, if it we anything less, say 75-79 i would just send it in. in NYS every ticket that is 4 point almost allways get reduced to 2 points that way the town keeps all the money and doesnt have to give the state any.thats why he wrotw the ticket for 80 not 78 or 79
Old 11-03-2006, 01:23 PM

Not all cops are dishonest, but some will lie to meet quotas and make their evaluations better. I've had a couple lie in court over the years. The last ticket I got was for speeding about 10 years ago, the administrative judge believed me over the cop and dismissed the ticket. The cop claimed he had been following me for a mile to determine I was speeding which was a lie.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In most states, they can only see past criminal COVICTIONS. Traffic violations should not be available, especially if they were dropped (unless you got jailtime or probation). If you were CHARGED with something only the judge will see it.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:06 PM

Car: '68 396 SS/RS, '02 SS
Originally Posted by Swim500in5
1.40 in a 20mph school zone -- it wasn't a school day when i got pulled over it was a holiday
Although it should be taken into account, a school zone is a school zone just like a work zone. It doesn't matter if they are in school or working.

2.failure to signal in lechworth state park, there wasn't another car for miles I was going 10mph also - had a mechanic "fix" my tail light
Was it just the stop light out or the tail light out? If it was just for not signaling that was a crock, if no one else was around. Where was he when he witnessed this if there wasn't another car for miles?

3.to safe for condition - I passed a cop in a passing zone 45mph limit, i was doing 40 he was doing 20. truth is i could see that it was a cop, but i t was a legit pasing zone, provided dated weather map to show the light snow conditions
Around here, you can get a ticket for running the posted limit even if it's a slight shower.

Man, I'd hate to have to pay your insurance. 1 point here will get you a 49% increase on premiums.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:19 PM

in our school zones its only 20 mph when the lights are on durring school hours, if the lights are not on its not a school zone. the light bulb thing was incredible, i didnt signal and i have no clue where he came from i can only think he was doing about 50+ behind me, letchworth is a 17 mile long park with a single road down the middle.

fastfirebird - thats what i'm looking for i'm just wondering if its the same in NY. I've never gotten a ticket when I deserve it. And paying a ticket I didn't fully earn doesn't seem right. I have a feeling its the cops just trying to fill a quota and make the numbers look good to pay budgets. B.S. flag.

the other thing I don't like is over the summer I am regularly singled out, cops run my plate atleast 3-4 times a week I didn't think a 83 camaro with tint automatically means your a criminal whos transporting guns and drugs.

Over the winter I'm installing a water jet below the rear bumper for tailgaiters/cops when they get to close I'm going to spray them with the washer fluid crap.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:06 PM
Supreme Member

fastfirebird - thats what i'm looking for i'm just wondering if its the same in NY. I've never gotten a ticket when I deserve it. And paying a ticket I didn't fully earn doesn't seem right. I have a feeling its the cops just trying to fill a quota and make the numbers look good to pay budgets. B.S. flag.
It's firstfirebird, soon to be forcedfirebird hehe.But seriously I've been caught doing 94 in a 70, I just went to the ticket clinic and paid $69. No points, no court! I had to pay court cost of $170, but if you consider it was a $227 ticket I made out-no traffic school, no points, no court. BTW that is as fast as my F150 would go before the speed limiter would cut off! He asked me if I knew why he pulled me and I simply replied "Yes Sir" and went on my way....
The data I gave you was from a local Police Officer (10 yrs on force) who not only will NOT pull you over for speeding, but also has a 1987 Buick GN with 9,300 origional miles on it (still has origional tires). The only reason he won't drive it is because he puts 1000 miles on it every time he starts it!lol
Old 11-03-2006, 08:31 PM

Car: '68 396 SS/RS, '02 SS
Over the winter I'm installing a water jet below the rear bumper for tailgaiters/cops when they get to close I'm going to spray them with the washer fluid crap.
That out to **** em' off real good. Be prepared to get pulled and harassed for that.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: broken 385sbc
Transmission: G-Force rebuilt T-5
Axle/Gears: Currie 9" Ford 4.30:1
if you are so mad, why did you speed in the first place?? its your own fault that you got the ticket to begin with.. no hard feelings or anything but its your fault.. if you cant take the punishment, dont do the crime..
Old 11-03-2006, 09:58 PM

Car: 86 Iroc 383 carb, 97 T/A WS6
Originally Posted by 2kflhr
Around here, you can get a ticket for running the posted limit even if it's a slight shower.
Man has it got that bad in Mooresville? It has been years since I lived there, but the cops use to not give a crap about anything.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:06 PM
Supreme Member

Car: a car being parted out
Engine: blown up
Transmission: in peices
Originally Posted by 2kflhr
Although it should be taken into account, a school zone is a school zone just like a work zone. It doesn't matter if they are in school or working.
Actually that is only partially correct.

A school zone has the same definitions as a school 'bus stop'.
The speed limits, or relitive restrictions can only be enforced in the conditions they were created for exsist.

Meaning, a school 'bus stop' is only a 'bus stop' if there is a bus loading/unloading childern. otherwise it is a group of kids by the side of the road. Same goes for a 'school zone' the restrictions can only be enforced if childern are there and it is during NORMAL OPERATIONAL school hours. Or if childeren can be seen from the roadway and they are not behind some sort of restrictive device, IE a fence.

As far as cops running a tag, and checking status, usually the '28 (plate info)/29 (driver info)' they run will show recent tickets (up to 12 months) and any time that any other police body has run your '28/29'. Meaning, if it has been run either with or without your knowlage 5 times in 36 hours, that is what that report will show. Who, when and why ran it. So no, it is not 'illegal' for them to get that information.

Last edited by V6sucker; 11-03-2006 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:35 AM
Supreme Member

In Flroida an officer CANNOT get that kind of info from the car. This was done so the officer can't discriminate or make a decision about your current infraction. In fact, they can't even see weather or not you are a safe driver (now it's not even printed on our dl's anymore).
Old 11-11-2006, 02:56 AM

Car: 1990 TA
Engine: LB9 305
Transmission: 4L60
My cruise control was set to 76-77. He says I was going exactly 80.
So you were doing 76-77, still at least 21 over the NYS limit of 55. Eighty may push you into a higher bracket, but you're still not innocent, sorry.

On another note, IIRC the stock speedometer starts to lose accuracy at higher speeds. I forget at which point it becomes noticeable, but it may explain the discrepancy.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:18 AM

Car: 86 IROC, 04 Ram, 05 SRT-4, 95 CBR
Engine: LB9, 5.7 Hemi, 2.4 turbo, 600cc
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 26 spline 3.42's for now
Swim500in5- They can pull all of your info on their in car pc's. DMV and criminal info, they can even see you're driver's license pic for id verifications. Think about our modern technology for crying out loud. But when you're hauling *** or just the only car in the area, you should use common sense and realize the eyes of the law are only on you. Use discretion and stop driving like you stole it. There's times to do it times not to do it. If you have a need for speed and are tired of paying tickets for a little over....buy a detector/jammer. There's a reason why they are available. Sometimes we all find ourselves cruising over the limit without realizing it. Does this mean we should all have to pay hundreds of dollars so some cop can get a hard on...no. Stop whining and get your priorities straight. I'm not being a ****, but I've gotten myself into these positions in the past. Once they start to know you, you're marked. I too have had cops lie their asses off in court. One time I even brought in witnesses and evidence which proved I wasn't lying, but the judge asked how old I was and how long I was driving. I was only 18 and driving for 2 years. When I told him that, he looked me straight in the eyes and said " you're guilty" and amazingly didn't have me arrested for my response.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 T/A
Engine: HSR 355
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi
Cruise control fluctuates +/- a few mph. Not to mention your speedo may be 1 or 2 mph off. So even if you were exactly 76 on your speedo you still may have actually been at 80 and didn't realize. Not every cop is out to hassle you...
Old 11-13-2006, 09:45 AM

Car: '88 Formula
Engine: 406, CF heads, Comp 212/218, Rhoads
Transmission: WC T5, 0.61 option
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt 3.08, re-ground Auburn Posi
Indicated 76-77. Cop said "80."
How do you know your speedometer is accurate? Has it been calibrated and certified? Have you tested it against GPS? Most cops (at least out west where I am) allow up to 7 mph over the limit before they'll pull you over. That's 'cuz they know speedometers can be off that much. Chances are, you were probably doing 80, just like he said.

If the speed limit is 55 there, you were asking for it, anyway. I consider my 'Bird to be a high-profile sports car. I expect the cops are gonna look at it every time I go by. Exhaust note, dark glass, custom paint, lowered profile, low-profile wide tires... everything we do to our cars attracts attention. That's the way we want it, usually. Get used to it.

Heck, I've been stopped for dumb, nonsense reasons just so the cop could drool over what's under my hood. When he asks, "How fast will it go?", I smile and say, "Faster than you. But not faster than your radio." He gets a good laugh, and off we go.

I read all the time about cops and "quotas." Cops haven't used quotas in over 30 years. The courts get really upset about cops writing tickets for quotas. Now, they MIGHT have a quota in what is called "public contacts." But that's more to assure that the cop is out and visible, instead of hanging around a donut shop somewhere.

However, good cops DO make traffic stops whenever they can, for whatever excuse they can. Why? Not to raise revenue, like we all think. It's 'cuz that's where they get the big busts. People who run/sell/deal drugs, do robberies, abuse kids-- they don't think twice about breaking the little traffic laws, when they're so busy breaking the big ones. Pay attention to the news when there's a story about some major drug bust, or some big criminal gets caught. 9 out of 10 times, its from a routine traffic stop. The bad guy was speeding, forgot to signal, had a tail-light out, had too-dark window tint, etc.

I'm not saying there aren't bad cops out there. But 99.99% of the time, they're just guys out trying to do their jobs. Protecting YOU.

By the way.... It's getting nowadays that radar/laser detectors are more like "you been caught indicators." The new "Stealth" radar's pulse is about 70 milliseconds long. The cop gets your speed, and your detector barely even hiccups. It can also pick you out of a line of cars, so he knows that the speeder is, say, the 3rd car in a line of 6. Guaranteed, you get spotted speeding and let go, a lot more often than you get pulled over.

I've got the ultimate radar/ticket beater. Cruise control set just beneath the "enforced" speed limit. Out here, 5 over the posted limit is safe. Where you are, that may be 3 over. I smile and wave at the trooper, and he waves back.

Save your high speed for the track.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:30 PM
Supreme Member

In South FL, the limit is 70, if you do 85 you'll get passed by some very angry and/or rude people. All while passing a state trooper on the side of the road.
The thing is - if you get caught, cough it up. Otherwise be happy you didn't. I'm friends with a lot of officers here and most of them will tell you that they won't pull you over unless you just being plain dumb. School zones, riding on the shoulder to avoid traffic, rapid lane changes, etc. Every state is different, and as I said in this post already FL officers can't see your past driving record, only criminal. If you'v had reckless, dui, endangerment, etc you'll stick out like a sore thumb. Here the cops look out for "dangerous" speeders, the normal high speed traffic doesn't bother them, it's the guy that is cutting people off to get 2 car lenghts. Be safe, be merry and enjoy your thirdgen!
P.S. sr-71, I too will wave as I pass @ 85mph and haven't got pulled for it.
94 in a 70 was a different story...
Old 11-14-2006, 08:07 PM

Car: 86 IROC, 04 Ram, 05 SRT-4, 95 CBR
Engine: LB9, 5.7 Hemi, 2.4 turbo, 600cc
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 26 spline 3.42's for now
sr-71 is right about the radar detectors. so don't go cheap on one and if you have the money, redirectors. there's so many ways to defeat radar and laser that it's not funny. flashy cars will almost definitely get nailed. but the little things. there's a new clear coat out that only offs the shading of your car a little and it aborbs some of radar and lasers. that with a dark paint, redirectors, a topline radar/laser detector and a jammer, you're ALMOST invisible. but if you fly by like a moron.....you're toast! i know people who use them and they never get pulled over, but then again, they had the common sense to purchase them and they use that same common sense to not get caught.