Mid-West Region Regional message board for WI, IL, IA, MI, MO, and MN to organize gatherings, meetings, and to help each other out.

Warning: Scary story! (It's about the third gens and the snow!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z and 1988 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7 350 V8 and 5.0 305 V8
Transmission: 700R4 Automatic Transmission
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi
Warning: Scary story! (It's about the third gens and the snow!)

Hanging out with a friend for about three hours and I finally decide to look out the window and find that there is atleast 3"-4" of snow on the ground! I then remember how my sister had gotten home before me and decided she would take the only open spot in the driveway. Leaving my poor 87 IROC to sit out in the street. So like any third gen lover I attempt to put it in the driveway even though it is covered in snow. I have my little brother scooping snow off the windows with brown lawn bags while I repeditivly go back and forth and back and forth in an attempt to get it off the streets to keep any Friday drunks from rearending it and then fleeing the scene leaving the kid with liability only insurance to pay for the damages. I guess I will end this with a question. Any of you guys in the same situation I am or have a story about such? Oh yeah it is supposed to snow again on Wednesday so hopefully the snow melts so I can put it in the driveway and park it for the winter! Also still looking for a tarp to cover it.

Last edited by '87IROCZOWNER69; 11-12-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: factory stock
Re: Warning: Scary story! (It's about the third gens and the snow!)

Well, I guess if you're going to drive it in the snow, be careful!!

Last year, we had 2 inches of ice from mother nature--- now, picture if you will, a down slanted driveway, that, at the end, meets the road-- that goes up hill!! Yup, we live on a hill......
Bride, stepson, & myself trying to smash the ice with 5 & 10 lb hammers!!
WHAT A PITA!! Well, about an hour later with no luck, I call work & tell them I cant get down my driveway, OR up the hill...boss tells me to come in as soon as I can, & show pics---he couldnt imagine my problem!!!
Now... work-- 35 miles away...

But fellow 3rd genners be at ease-- I don't drive it after Thanksgiving, unless it snows // ices b4 then, she gets tucked in the garage with a wash & wax!!
Old 11-12-2010, 11:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Base 91 'bird
Engine: 3.1 v6
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.27 & PBR

I once thought it would be fun to drive to work in the snow in my 1st gen built with a 455HO and posi. I was young and unwise and fortunately I hit the car in front while still on the flat so I never made it to the top of the very long and fairly steep hill that was coming up. That would not have ended nearly as well. After exchanging insurance details I drove home and took the subway. Way less fun but in the end much cheaper.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 camaro vert
Engine: ls1 soon
Transmission: t56 soon
Axle/Gears: moser 12bolt 4.10 soon!

my mom used to live up in west va and while i was down there one year it snowed.. here i am trying to navigate the mountians in my maro now im a southern boy grew up driving on dirt roads with no power steering in my 84 maro with a 350. so im used to going sideways and what not and i have driven on snow countless times. well i never had to deal with mountians and snow at the same time.. well im taking it slow and taking my time.. looking over these cliffs is making me uneasy so im really paying attention.. specialy cuz its a vert. well the back ends kicks out here and there but i catch it no big deal.. then comes this big down hill part.. with a sharp turn at the bottom.. great... well im taking my time and i down shift to keep the car going slow and to not have to hit the brakes.. everythings fine.. well about half way down i hit ice and i go completley sideways still slidding down hill .. theres a truck behind me and a car infront of me all with in a good distance the car in front of me is slidding to but no where near as bad and the truck was fine.. must be nice having a big f350.. well im able to whip it back around but now im sideways the other way but still slidding down and here comes the sharp right turn and a guard rail around a cliff.. at this point im like f*ck this.. i already have the front wheels turned facing down hill and i just floor the gas the car whips back around now facing the correct way but still wanting to slide i feather the gass and work the wheel to keep it straight and i swear it was striaght outta toyko drift im in full drift at a 45 degree angle or more and no more then 3 inches away from this guard rail snows flying and my girls screaming and i have this big smile on my face and im kinda bitting my tounge cuz i know i have it under control at this point but still trying to make sure i keep it under control.. we make it around the turn and the cars still trying to slide out and im feathering the gas and working the wheel finally get it to straighten out and we are finally driving normal again.. anyway we pull into the gas station about a mile down the road and the truck behind me pulls in behind us i get out the car to check it out, seeing if i had actually rubbed the guard rail cuz i truthfully i didnt know thats how close we were to it.. the old guy gets out his truck and comes over to me and says "boy i thought u where done for i was ready to dial 911 for u.. ive never seen someone lose it that bad yet still have complete control how old are u?? " " i reply im 19 (at the time) sir and thank u i thought i wasnt ganna make it at 1 point to.." he says "i thought that u where ganna spin out when u first went sideways comming down that big hill and i didnt know if i was ganna be able to stop if u happend to be in my way, but u held it out and got it back under control but when u where going around that last turn ive never seen driving like that son, someone was looking out for u and ur a lucky son bi*ch, i wouldnt have been able to spit between ur back bumper and that guard rail.".. come to find out his son past away 3 winters before on that same turn in his mustang.. i wish the man a safe ride and he followed me all the way to my exit lucky i didnt have to go far past there anyway.. i get to my moms drive way and same as u didnt wanna leave it out in the street so i back up a lil bit angle the car just right and punch it slide into her drive way and coast it all the way down it ( she had a pretty long drive way) kinda sideways and parked the car infront of the garage and left it there till the snow melted.. 3 days later.. so i consider my self very lucky and will never drive rt 50 in west va again in the snow.. that road has claimed more lives then any other road in the easter part of the us.. now my baby sits in the garage all winter while i drive a beater ford..

Last edited by quickkris2006; 11-13-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

Hahah cool story.

Very sad about the guy's son though.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 IROC-Z and 1988 Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7 350 V8 and 5.0 305 V8
Transmission: 700R4 Automatic Transmission
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi

Originally Posted by t-top havoc
Well, I guess if you're going to drive it in the snow, be careful!!

Last year, we had 2 inches of ice from mother nature--- now, picture if you will, a down slanted driveway, that, at the end, meets the road-- that goes up hill!! Yup, we live on a hill......
Bride, stepson, & myself trying to smash the ice with 5 & 10 lb hammers!!
WHAT A PITA!! Well, about an hour later with no luck, I call work & tell them I cant get down my driveway, OR up the hill...boss tells me to come in as soon as I can, & show pics---he couldnt imagine my problem!!!
Now... work-- 35 miles away...

But fellow 3rd genners be at ease-- I don't drive it after Thanksgiving, unless it snows // ices b4 then, she gets tucked in the garage with a wash & wax!!
You guys have some pretty crazy stories! Same thing happened to me last winter where I went to my dads house for the weekend and when I came back my mom and sister neglected to clean the driveway so we had 5 inches thick of ice at the bottom of the driveway. The chunk was 4 feet wide and 15 feet long. I cleaned the whole thing out in about a total time of 7 hours using just a square shovel. This morning I awoke to find that I have a 12"X1" chunk of clearcoat missing removed by the snow sliding on my hood. So hopefully I get the money together to by a paint job!
Old 11-14-2010, 02:20 PM

Car: 97 Cummins 92 CamaroZ28, 94 GSXR750
Engine: Modded 5.9 , carbed sbc358, modded
Transmission: Nv4500, 700R4 (for now)
Axle/Gears: stock

I was born in Omaha but lived most my life In Missouri Valley, IA about 30 mins from there and growin up on the backroads I learned how to drive in the winter, but all of it was with trucks. I do not trust my Camaro at all in the snow, down in Camdenton it is all hills and ice, and they dont have any guard rails or shoulders. I always pack my car with sand bags in the back (I suggest putting them in a giant trash bag to keep em from leaking sand.) and I also have chains which I have yet to use cause if its that bad in my driveway it will be worse down the road. I highly suggest gettin a beater car or having a friend with a truck drive you around cause the last thing you want to do is end up spending more money fixing your car after a wreck.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:36 PM

Car: 95 Z85 S10, 99 Formula
Engine: 4.3 CPI , LS1
Transmission: NV3500, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.42

i've driven in the snow before. not too bad if you dont stop
Old 11-14-2010, 02:58 PM

Car: 1995 Camaro z28
Engine: 355 LTX
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4.10

Ive been in the snow with my 92 just for fun and its downright scary how terrable they are in the snow. It was even a chore to get going again after stopping on flat ground.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:04 PM

Car: 1988 IROC Z
Engine: 5.7 litre
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi with 4 wheel disc brakes

Originally Posted by scrubbin627
Ive been in the snow with my 92 just for fun and its downright scary how terrable they are in the snow. It was even a chore to get going again after stopping on flat ground.
Low ground clearance, rear wheel drive and wide sport tires are a bad combination for driving in the snow!! If the roads are plowed and you have studded snow tires you can get around but your much better off with a beater 4 x 4.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:14 PM

Car: 86 sport coupe
Engine: 355
Transmission: 5speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 detroit locker

I drove a second gen in high school that was a lot of fun in the snow. My third gen has never seen snow and never will as long as I own it.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

My 86' IROC is my 3rd third gen but my 5th f-body. I drove a 79' TA with a 403 in it when i was in high school. 16 year old kid with that kind of power living in Nebraska you do the math. That poor car ramped more snow drifts then I care to remember. It took me a few years to see the error of my ways but I tell you f-bodies will do wicked cookies in an empty snow covered parking lot. Now days once the frost comes my Camaro goes into hibernation in the garage. She is full storage mode as of last weekend and will stay that way until spring. And to those of you on this site that live in Lincoln, NE. I will do my best to keep the roads clear of snow for you this winter. Yes after years of goofing off in the snow for free, I am now paid to push it around.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 334 Stroker Superram 222/230
Transmission: Full Manual 700R4 / 3k Street Edge
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Eaton, Moser, Richmond & More

I have always wanted to find a big empty snow covered parking lot one winter. I promised my maro one winter we would go snow drifting but the problem is GETTING THERE.

Like has been said, ground clearance, RWD and on top of that summer tires up front with DRAG RADIALS in the back make anything other than a BIG FLAT area with NO OBSTACLES a HORRIBLE idea.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1967 Firebird P.T.
Engine: LS3 4" Strkr 422ci
Transmission: MN12 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 8.5" 10 Bolt Eaton

A couple years ago i was short on cash to buy a winter car so i drove the 88 Formula through an entire winter, even through a couple blizzards with 4-6 inches of snow on the streets. Never crashed it and washed it at the car wash once a week. Its all about throttle control. I always brought it down to this point, "what did everyone in the 60's do in the winter when 90% of the cars were RWD?" The 91 wont be seeing winter.... ever.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Still a 3rd Gen
Engine: 450HP 355
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 9" with 4.11's

I tried to drive my '82 T/A in the snow once about 10 years ago before i changed the stock suburban converter out (TH400 trans swap). That was all it took, never again. As soon as i took my foot off the brake the tires were spinning with the car at idle.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by quickkris2006
my mom used to live up in west va and while i was down there one year it snowed.. here i am trying to navigate the mountians in my maro now im a southern boy grew up driving on dirt roads with no power steering in my 84 maro with a 350. so im used to going sideways and what not and i have driven on snow countless times. well i never had to deal with mountians and snow at the same time.. well im taking it slow and taking my time.. looking over these cliffs is making me uneasy so im really paying attention.. specialy cuz its a vert. well the back ends kicks out here and there but i catch it no big deal.. then comes this big down hill part.. with a sharp turn at the bottom.. great... well im taking my time and i down shift to keep the car going slow and to not have to hit the brakes.. everythings fine.. well about half way down i hit ice and i go completley sideways still slidding down hill .. theres a truck behind me and a car infront of me all with in a good distance the car in front of me is slidding to but no where near as bad and the truck was fine.. must be nice having a big f350.. well im able to whip it back around but now im sideways the other way but still slidding down and here comes the sharp right turn and a guard rail around a cliff.. at this point im like f*ck this.. i already have the front wheels turned facing down hill and i just floor the gas the car whips back around now facing the correct way but still wanting to slide i feather the gass and work the wheel to keep it straight and i swear it was striaght outta toyko drift im in full drift at a 45 degree angle or more and no more then 3 inches away from this guard rail snows flying and my girls screaming and i have this big smile on my face and im kinda bitting my tounge cuz i know i have it under control at this point but still trying to make sure i keep it under control.. we make it around the turn and the cars still trying to slide out and im feathering the gas and working the wheel finally get it to straighten out and we are finally driving normal again.. anyway we pull into the gas station about a mile down the road and the truck behind me pulls in behind us i get out the car to check it out, seeing if i had actually rubbed the guard rail cuz i truthfully i didnt know thats how close we were to it.. the old guy gets out his truck and comes over to me and says "boy i thought u where done for i was ready to dial 911 for u.. ive never seen someone lose it that bad yet still have complete control how old are u?? " " i reply im 19 (at the time) sir and thank u i thought i wasnt ganna make it at 1 point to.." he says "i thought that u where ganna spin out when u first went sideways comming down that big hill and i didnt know if i was ganna be able to stop if u happend to be in my way, but u held it out and got it back under control but when u where going around that last turn ive never seen driving like that son, someone was looking out for u and ur a lucky son bi*ch, i wouldnt have been able to spit between ur back bumper and that guard rail.".. come to find out his son past away 3 winters before on that same turn in his mustang.. i wish the man a safe ride and he followed me all the way to my exit lucky i didnt have to go far past there anyway.. i get to my moms drive way and same as u didnt wanna leave it out in the street so i back up a lil bit angle the car just right and punch it slide into her drive way and coast it all the way down it ( she had a pretty long drive way) kinda sideways and parked the car infront of the garage and left it there till the snow melted.. 3 days later.. so i consider my self very lucky and will never drive rt 50 in west va again in the snow.. that road has claimed more lives then any other road in the easter part of the us.. now my baby sits in the garage all winter while i drive a beater ford..
Very moving story!!! Glad you are fine...