Mid-West Region Regional message board for WI, IL, IA, MI, MO, and MN to organize gatherings, meetings, and to help each other out.

anyone know about drifting lessons?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1L V6 w/.425" cam (Int. & Exh.)
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Stock
Re: anyone know about drifting lessons?

Originally Posted by ChevyRS-305
ummmmm i pretty sure every car has pistons dude. i never herd of a non piston engine
Dude, ALL the Mazda RX-7's have the Wankel 2-rotor engine, along with the new RX-8's. There were also turbo and non-turbo models.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:59 AM

Car: '87 Z-28
Engine: LT1-topped 400
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

On the side topic of cars with pistonless engines...
Old 08-24-2009, 02:26 PM

Car: 1987 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 w/Edelbrock carb
Transmission: 5 speed manual

The biggest factor IMO you can have, is common sense. Think about things before you start practicing, one of the problems is you'll see people flying down highway turn offs on youtube, and they get lucky. Then the next video is another person trying it and basically killing 3 people.

Drifting on bare concrete/ground is a bit of a toughy without the proper stuff and right off the bat. I started out practicing on snow, I'd hit a church parking lot near my house after snowstorms. Slides easier, then if you can find dirt tracks, then during/after rain, then pavement. That's how I've transistioned.

You can do it with an auto. Manual's offer a range of advantages, but automatics do work. If anything you can just leave it in 2nd (limits the transmission to gear 2) which is what I usually use on my vehicles.

One thing to remember, is wide open throttle is not what you do. Tires spinning, alright sure, after that back off it a bit. If you're not turning, and just heading straight when you want/need to turn, drop the throttle/brakes too. The tires will regain traction and you can get control of the car. Look up the scandinavian flick technique, good way to get used to weight transfer.

Hope this helps, unfortunately I'm too far away to help you out unless you traveled up here this winter. Then I'm all for teaching someone the safe way to do it.
Old 10-31-2009, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by soultron
nevermind the boring faceless internet battling, I like this car and it's fun, done.
State college? Do you know that drifting russian kid? Maybe you know about the oval?

hey man, well yeah... havent been on here in a while but to answer your q's i do know the difting russian kid his name is alex krichshunaskjdhak or somthing haha he started the oval drifting 5 or 6 yrs ago by goin there one night and the next day when he went their again to ask if we could drift their more often the guy came out and turns out he used to do dirt track racing... so he was into it and now we have a website driftpa.com and have people all over pa, ohio ny, nj and stuff come by since its free and we've even had guys like rated d and whiplash drift truck, matt from import intelligence before he retired the s13.5 (he has the dunlop 350z now) blablabla enough rambling haha my name is andrei by the way (im also russian)where do you live if its not a 100000000 miles away you should come check it out itd be cool to have another 3rdgen guy there
Old 10-31-2009, 09:24 AM

Car: 87 trans am
Engine: 305
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 SLP rear

I know some of those guys from beaver run. I moved out of Ohio a while back. too much snow. I'm actually a member of drift pa, I just don't post. HA. I might try to come up that way next year, maybe I should try to hit state college and the legendary oval.

Originally Posted by bitchin_camarAA
hey man, well yeah... havent been on here in a while but to answer your q's i do know the difting russian kid his name is alex krichshunaskjdhak or somthing haha he started the oval drifting 5 or 6 yrs ago by goin there one night and the next day when he went their again to ask if we could drift their more often the guy came out and turns out he used to do dirt track racing... so he was into it and now we have a website driftpa.com and have people all over pa, ohio ny, nj and stuff come by since its free and we've even had guys like rated d and whiplash drift truck, matt from import intelligence before he retired the s13.5 (he has the dunlop 350z now) blablabla enough rambling haha my name is andrei by the way (im also russian)where do you live if its not a 100000000 miles away you should come check it out itd be cool to have another 3rdgen guy there
Old 10-31-2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by soultron
I know some of those guys from beaver run. I moved out of Ohio a while back. too much snow. I'm actually a member of drift pa, I just don't post. HA. I might try to come up that way next year, maybe I should try to hit state college and the legendary oval.

thats cool ive been meaning to go to beaver run but my cars always broke and so am i. if you look at my profile pic that was last oct. and that was the last time i had my car running (thats mostly not tire smoke) haha now im tired of it always braking and blowin motors even tho its usally my fault. but now im planning on savin up and doin everything at once hopefully over this winter 5.3 tahoe motor swap, t-56 and a posi rear not sure which one. any suggestions?

im not a big poster either on any forum i dont see how people have 68090 posts haha you should come hit up the oval if your ever in pa but you might be disappointed tho its nothing special its just cool that its free. i still think street drifting is a 10x more fun haha