Mid-Atlantic Region Regional board for all of the Mid-Atlantic states. Discuss gatherings and get togethers.

Capitol Raceway meet!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 11:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 85 Likes on 72 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum
As far as I know they've issued 3 different ring designs for them as well as 2 different block designs. None of them seal well at high rpms. The problem really isn't the rings, but the block. All but the latest LS6 style blocks don't have sufficient bay to bay breathing, and worse, the cylinders tend to go out of round (find one that's been pulled for oil control or piston slap issues and you'll find that they'll have cylinders with as much as .060" out of round). There's a couple of class action law suits about it.

They've also gone through multiple piston designs, head gasket designs... trying to fix issues.

As far as the rear axles… GM tried to do it right for a short stint in the '80's when they installed the B/W 9 bolt, which I'd bet that most of us would have problems breaking, but apparently they were too expensive and they dropped them. SLP and a few limited production cars used dana 44 rears after that but eventually they all went back to the relatively weak 10 bolt.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC-Z
Engine: LG4
Transmission: Rebuilt 700R4
I didn't intend to get this off-topic, but thanks for the info!

As it turns out, it is all in vain. I called my insurance, and with $1,000 deductables my insurance would be:

$906/mo.

That is not a typo. So, since I have liability only for $425/mo. on my thirdgen, I think I'll continue to repair mine. There are just a million things to do, and it is disheartening to have 5 liters of displacement and have a 0-60 of about literally 20 seconds. The car barely runs, but this isn't the thread for that.

So, off to go work on it! :lala:

P.S. Count me in for any meets though, even if I have to show up in my minivan!
Old 02-03-2004, 10:55 PM

Car: 87 Vette 85 TA 82 Z/28
Engine: 3 - 350's 388 400
Transmission: 2-700R4's 1 T56 Setup!
Axle/Gears: 2.59's 3.42's 3.73's
Originally posted by afterburn
I didn't intend to get this off-topic, but thanks for the info!

As it turns out, it is all in vain. I called my insurance, and with $1,000 deductables my insurance would be:

$906/mo.

That is not a typo. So, since I have liability only for $425/mo. on my thirdgen, I think I'll continue to repair mine. There are just a million things to do, and it is disheartening to have 5 liters of displacement and have a 0-60 of about literally 20 seconds. The car barely runs, but this isn't the thread for that.

So, off to go work on it! :lala:

P.S. Count me in for any meets though, even if I have to show up in my minivan!
holy **** man! your getting @ss raped! what did you do?
Old 02-03-2004, 11:02 PM

Car: 1993 Toyota Supra
Engine: Inline 6
Transmission: 6 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.13
Geez, Thats insanely high. My insurance is like $200/month for my Z and full coverage is like $350. Whats your driving record like?
Old 02-03-2004, 11:25 PM
Supreme Member

$906/mo.

Really, that doesn't surprise me. I believe about 2 years ago most of the insurance co's decided that they're going to get rid of certain liabilities in some parts of MD and VA. A lot of insurance co's will not even give you a quote if you own certain cars (locally, allstate, state farm… will not even talk to you if you say "trans am"), and all of a sudden it seemed like a lot of people's policies went up, including mine. I'm 32, married, live in a low crime area… and I pay pretty close to what you got quoted for my '97 WS6, my '87 Formula, a full size 4x4 and the wife's sunfire. I actually pay more then when I was in my early 20's with 2 TA's, my mother's new taurus and 9pts on my insurance.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 83 Crossfire TA
Really, that doesn't surprise me. I believe about 2 years ago most of the insurance co's decided that they're going to get rid of certain liabilities in some parts of MD and VA. A lot of insurance co's will not even give you a quote if you own certain cars (locally, allstate, state farm… will not even talk to you if you say "trans am"),
I live in MD. I hated GEICO, and had no trouble getting a quote from State Farm, even though I mentioned "Camaro Z28", and the agent knew exactly what kind of car I was talking about.

Through State Farm I have full coverage (excluding car rental) on my Z28, with the $50 deductibles, and covering my engine, trans, wheels, etc. Basically every aftermarket part I put on, document with pictures from my agent, and can provide receipts for. I also have my 88 S10 with just liability. Total cost for both vehicles per month: $180 I'm only 24, so age isn't the issue. Shop around.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:45 PM
Supreme Member

Which state farm office? I've tried the 2 laurel offices and at least one other (friend's recommendation) and they were the ones that would not write a new policy with 2 trans ams on it. As a matter of fact they said no as soon as I said 'Trans Am.'

There is also a significant difference in age of the car. A "newish" WS6 with under 20K miles is worth a lot more then my '87 formula, and the insurance reflects that. I think that my formula runs me something in the $160/6 months range, my wife's sunfire and my full size truck are around $300/6 months and my '97 WS6 is something like around $300/month even though it rarely gets driven.

I HATE INSURANCE, I've never actually gotten them to cover anything, have no tickets (wife has 2 speeding tickets) but I still pay through the nose…

Last edited by 83 Crossfire TA; 02-04-2004 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42:1
Originally posted by Marc 85Z28
I live in MD. I hated GEICO, and had no trouble getting a quote from State Farm, even though I mentioned "Camaro Z28", and the agent knew exactly what kind of car I was talking about.

Through State Farm I have full coverage (excluding car rental) on my Z28, with the $50 deductibles, and covering my engine, trans, wheels, etc. Basically every aftermarket part I put on, document with pictures from my agent, and can provide receipts for. I also have my 88 S10 with just liability. Total cost for both vehicles per month: $180 I'm only 24, so age isn't the issue. Shop around.

If you think that's great, you are going to be thrilled in a year. I just got my rate change as I turned 25 last month, the insurance on my camaro went down 40%! (State Farm also)
Old 02-05-2004, 12:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ES87iroc
If you think that's great, you are going to be thrilled in a year. I just got my rate change as I turned 25 last month, the insurance on my camaro went down 40%! (State Farm also)
I know. I've been waiting for it too happen. My rate dropped a good bit when I turned 23 and 24, but my agent has been telling me it's a significant difference at 25.

83 Crossfire TA - sent you a PM
Old 02-05-2004, 11:15 PM

I have shopped around, and nobody else will take me until the end of summer when most of the items are off. My record looks something like this:

At-fault accident (both drivers faulted, no contact - they forced me off the road while I was speeding - totalled '96 3800II Firebird) - comes off insurance this month

Driver spinning wheels (graduation day) Comes off in May

Drag Racing (graduation night) Comes off in May

Speeding (NY State) Comes off in August

At Fault Accident (totally my fault, parking lot - goofing off) comes off in 1.5 years

$150 accident in Laurel. Wasn't my fault, NO damage, but I got screwed. Doesn't come off for 2.5 years.

So, after August I have some options. However, my LG4 is practically dead, and I'm broke. Since I need to go back to school I might get rid of this car, and then in a year (once I have A+, MCSE, etc.) get a 350 TPI thirdgen. I'm not really sure at this point, but basically every major system in my car needs to be replaced.

I feel so lost, lol. I desperately need to go to school, but I'm not sure if I can part for my car, even if it's for the better.

Anyway, thanks again for the info!
Old 02-05-2004, 11:39 PM
Supreme Member

I have shopped around, and nobody else will take me until the end of summer when most of the items are off. My record looks something like this:

At-fault accident…
Sounds like you had quite a graduation.

So, after August I have some options. However, my LG4 is practically dead, and I'm broke. Since I need to go back to school I might get rid of this car, and then in a year (once I have A+, MCSE, etc.) get a 350 TPI thirdgen. I'm not really sure at this point, but basically every major system in my car needs to be replaced.

I feel so lost, lol. I desperately need to go to school, but I'm not sure if I can part for my car, even if it's for the better.
Um, what school?

FWIW, I've got an A+ and MCSE and have even taught classes for both (I passed the full testing for the new and old versions of both also, my mcse cert is current), was a systems/network engineer at the University of MD Institute for Advanced Computer Studies… (something like 8 or 9 years professional experience in the field, plenty more before that, college degree…) and have been looking for a good job for a while; the odd consulting/freelance job is getting really old, anyone know of something good? Considering the reactions that I've been getting to my resume lately I'm thinking I have too much experience.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:32 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
damn u guys killed my thread j/k
Old 02-19-2004, 03:36 AM

Car: 1986 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 373, i think
so what is the bottom line, where are you guys going to meet to race at so i can come?
Old 02-22-2004, 09:21 AM

Car: 87 Vette 85 TA 82 Z/28
Engine: 3 - 350's 388 400
Transmission: 2-700R4's 1 T56 Setup!
Axle/Gears: 2.59's 3.42's 3.73's

Um, what school?

FWIW, I've got an A+ and MCSE and have even taught classes for both (I passed the full testing for the new and old versions of both also, my mcse cert is current), was a systems/network engineer at the University of MD Institute for Advanced Computer Studies… (something like 8 or 9 years professional experience in the field, plenty more before that, college degree…) and have been looking for a good job for a while; the odd consulting/freelance job is getting really old, anyone know of something good? Considering the reactions that I've been getting to my resume lately I'm thinking I have too much experience.
yeah i'm in the same boat almost. been looking for 2 years for a full time gig. i am 1 test away from my MCSA and have 7 years experience in networking and pc repair. damn 9/11 killed it g0d da-mn ***** fuggers!
Old 02-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Supreme Member

Heh… MCSE is cake… I took all 7 tests in a 9 day span and passed them.

Sounds familiar though. Got any leads for anyone with a bit more experience then you (seems like in general now you're better off with less)?
Old 02-22-2004, 07:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: L03 305 V-8 (for now ;) )
Transmission: T-5 5 speed
Axle/Gears: stock... whatever that means :)
Originally posted by Der91Z
Geez, Thats insanely high. My insurance is like $200/month for my Z and full coverage is like $350. Whats your driving record like?
I know someone who is paying $666 a month for LIABILITY on a 98 GTP. Unfortunately he wrecked 2 (flipped one and t-boned a honda with the second). So this is his 3rd GTP. Myself and a lot of my buddies are waiting for him to wreck this one.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:15 PM

Really, that doesn't surprise me. I believe about 2 years ago most of the insurance co's decided that they're going to get rid of certain liabilities in some parts of MD and VA. A lot of insurance co's will not even give you a quote if you own certain cars (locally, allstate, state farm… will not even talk to you if you say "trans am"), and all of a sudden it seemed like a lot of people's policies went up, including mine. I'm 32, married, live in a low crime area… and I pay pretty close to what you got quoted for my '97 WS6, my '87 Formula, a full size 4x4 and the wife's sunfire. I actually pay more then when I was in my early 20's with 2 TA's, my mother's new taurus and 9pts on my insurance.
$225 a month for BOTH cars listed below. Thats also with $0 deductible on comprehensive and $250 deductible on collision. And I'm with STATE FARM. And they just raised my rate!
Old 02-22-2004, 07:17 PM

Um, what school?

Do you know Andy Poe over at MFRI? Im also A+ certified. The MCSE is a piece of cake huh? Maybe should just bypass my Net+ and go straight for MCSE!!!
Old 02-22-2004, 07:36 PM

Car: 1993 Toyota Supra
Engine: Inline 6
Transmission: 6 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.13
Originally posted by JAYDUBB
$225 a month for BOTH cars listed below. Thats also with $0 deductible on comprehensive and $250 deductible on collision. And I'm with STATE FARM. And they just raised my rate!
I'm paying like $1785 every 6 months on my GTP with full coverage and my 91 Z28 with liability. I'm only 19 but i have a clean driving record. Incase you don't know who this is Jaydubb, this is the kid that you talked to that was driving the Silver GTI at home depot last night.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:34 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by JAYDUBB
Do you know Andy Poe over at MFRI? Im also A+ certified. The MCSE is a piece of cake huh? Maybe should just bypass my Net+ and go straight for MCSE!!!
The name sounds really familiar, MFRI... well I know I know people up there but I can't remembermber who... can't seem to connect the name/face/place right now.

If you actually know how to make the boxes "do stuff" and have a reasonable handle on networking it really is easy. What I ended up doing is getting the MS press books and flipping through them for a few minutes before each test to get myself into "MS's view of the world" and walked in and did it...
Old 02-24-2004, 06:09 AM

Originally posted by Der91Z
I'm paying like $1785 every 6 months on my GTP with full coverage and my 91 Z28 with liability. I'm only 19 but i have a clean driving record. Incase you don't know who this is Jaydubb, this is the kid that you talked to that was driving the Silver GTI at home depot last night.
I remember you. Nice meeting you and 1991Z28. I should have the GTP up there this weekend. My paint may be screwed because the car hasnt been washed in months!!!

Last edited by JAYDUBB; 02-27-2004 at 05:47 AM.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:10 AM

The name sounds really familiar, MFRI... well I know I know people up there but I can't remembermber who... can't seem to connect the name/face/place right now.

If you actually know how to make the boxes "do stuff" and have a reasonable handle on networking it really is easy. What I ended up doing is getting the MS press books and flipping through them for a few minutes before each test to get myself into "MS's view of the world" and walked in and did it...
Andy Poe is the shop mechanic up there. He has the 70 Nova.

As far as the computer stuff goes, Im a Desktop support tech at USDA on River Road off of Paint Branch. I can get the boxes to "do stuff" very well .
Old 02-24-2004, 10:54 PM

83 Crossfire TA Heh… MCSE is cake… I took all 7 tests in a 9 day span and passed them. Sounds familiar though. Got any leads for anyone with a bit more experience then you (seems like in general now you're better off with less)?
Since I won't have a thirdgen for much longer, I finally have to ask, why are you always so condescending?
Old 02-24-2004, 11:18 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my thread is killed

mic has some good ones already, i will let him take over
Old 02-24-2004, 11:25 PM
Supreme Member

Since I won't have a thirdgen for much longer, I finally have to ask, why are you always so condescending?
Not sure, what part of that is condescending? The fact that I found the MCSE tests easy? I should have, I've been doing this stuff for 9 years professionally and been doing something related job wise since my last couple of years in high school (graduated in '90). I also got into coding and assorted hardware stuff when I got a PC Jr as a kid in about '80/81 and used to do cad work at my dad's engineering consulting firm on weekends in the mid 80's, so I've been messing with this stuff for well over 20 years.

I'll admit that I don’t have much patience for dumb ****, but besides that, I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

So you're not going to be around anymore and thought you'd take some shots at me before you leave? Huh, OK, go for it. Mind if I ask who you are/what I did to you since I don’t seem to recognize your screen name at all…

Last edited by 83 Crossfire TA; 02-24-2004 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:16 PM

It wasn't about taking shots before I leave, I was honestly just curious. I just see a lot of times where I've read that you putting people down, etc., etc. Maybe I just read you the wrong way in text...I just would've phrased that differently, but it's no big deal.

My mistake.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:45 PM
Supreme Member

Donno… I would say that you probably just took whatever I said more seriously then I meant it. I could say for sure that I'm pretty short with people that give me crap about things and I'm not one to mince words (I'll tell you what I think and not sugar coat it even if sugar coating it might get me somewhere… I don’t have any patience for playing games). I guess I feel that life is too short to worry about what people really think of me am not going to waste much time on it one way or another. If you think I'm a bastard… great; if you think I'm a decent guy… great. It's not like I'm going to waste my time trying to change either opinion.

I am somewhat curious what made you say that (I'm assuming something more then just that post) just in case I did actually come across as saying something that I didn't intend.

Huh, or maybe I'm just an *** and I don’t know it?
Old 02-27-2004, 03:02 PM

Nah, I just misread you. Happens sometimes; it's the downside of text. Take care, dude!