Members Firebirds Post pictures and information about your Third Gen Base, SE, Formula, Trans Am, and GTA Firebirds!

My new 1988 T/A

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2024, 01:57 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: '87 FIREGOOSE!!!!
Re: My new 1988 T/A

Ugh, we push ourself every year, I think the earliest we headed to bed was minimum 2am, lol. Out everynight chatting and joking enjoying every minute. very tired by Monday.
I think everyone goes home with a spark and push on their cars, the cars and people just light the fuse.
Old 08-28-2024, 04:57 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 898 Likes on 589 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

Good to see ya and chat briefly in passing this year. You're correct the show weekend is one of the fastest of the year!
hope your son had a good time!
Old 08-29-2024, 02:58 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 805 Likes on 613 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

I believe he did Tony. You and Buddy were both very approachable, and easy to talk to. That always helps.

I had a few goals in mind for him this trip.

1) Have fun. I think he did.
2) Learn a little bit of Pontiac and Firebird history, and learn to ID the generations. Made progress on all fronts.
3) Enjoy the seminars. I was a little concerned that he would get bored, because he didn't come into it as a Pontiac or Firebird enthusiast necessarily (though I think he likes our car, especially after I let him drive it back to the Nats from Tipp City). Sometimes the presentations are a little specific, aimed (appropriately) at the educated, die-hard enthusiast. Much to my relief, he really seemed to enjoy each of them. He was pretty giddy (as was his Dad) to get to interact on John Schinella on several occasions (presentation, on the drive to Tipp City...I was following another Michigander in a gold 2nd gen as I wasn't certain on the navigation, and John and Suzanne passed us with a honk and a wave...walking around Tipp City (where I learned it was them that had honked and waved), got a photo with my son, John, Bill Davis and myself at Tipp City, along with John signing the car), Bill Davis at Tipp City, Herb Adams before his presentation when he signed our copy of "Chassis Engineering", Brandon Vivian, the first owner of the FireAms Brandon had there (sorry I can't recall his name right off the top of my head),hearing from Reggie Harris and Jim Mattison, etc. Got to meet and spend a few minutes with T-Top350, Buddy, Jeff Sawruk, Matt Adams, Bruce Hawkins, Tim Dye, and several other attendees that we kept running into. I think he really appreciated meeting some of the folks who made/make our cars and community great.
4) Buy a couple of bad cowboy hats. Check! An after midnight stop for fuel at a Pilot truck stop filled this (unexpected) need. James bought his (on sale for $13.99), and it was actually a comfortable, good looking hat. I went back and grabbed one too (though a slightly LOUDER design). All in good road trip fun, and they kept the sun off of us somewhat.

Things I'd like to do in the future:
1) Take more vacation if I possibly can. This is a tough one, but something I'd like to do to enjoy more, and rush a little less. Also would like to take in the drag racing on Thursday night, and stay through Sunday night for awards. But that's a lot of extra time off and money for meals and hotels.
2) See Wright-Patt again. We went through the Air Force Museum some years ago, when he was in the Oakland Composite Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol, and their whole squadron went for a day. Fantastic place.
2) Organize some sort of quick TGO get together for members that are attending. Even if it's just 30 minutes in the hotel bar (no karaoke, please), it would be nice to have a meeting place and time.
3) Wouldn't a TGO presence of some sort be nice? I know we're not likely to get a tent or table with someone manning it, but some form of promotion would be nice. Maybe some TGO stickers on the goodie table? Business cards to promote the site that we could give to 3rd gen owners we encounter? Or...???? T-shirts to wear to promote the site? Maybe an auction item for charity?
4) Enjoy a night of socializing in the parking lot. If you haven't been to the Nats, this may seem like a weird one. But LOTS of attendees hang out in the lot nights. Bring a chair and a beverage, and meet folks. We walked the lot Friday and Saturday, but didn't find a group to fall in with. I'll work harder at this one next year. The folks we did interact with were great.

Things the T/A Nats could add: ( I know, they are strapped just running the show. But as long as I'm dreaming....)
1) It would not hurt my feelings to have an autocross event associated with the show. I know that's an organizational can of worms, but with BIG empty lots at the mall and the university, and an active Western Ohio Region (WOR) SCCA near by, it seems like something that might be possible. Certainly some of the elements for it are there.
2) A portable dyno? I know that has been popular at several shows I have been to. I'd throw in my 144 H.P for the cause!

When I win the lottery, I'll buy and reopen the Candlewood.
The following users liked this post:
TTOP350 (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 03:21 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by DynoDave43
I believe he did Tony. You and Buddy were both very approachable, and easy to talk to. That always helps.

I had a few goals in mind for him this trip.

1) Have fun. I think he did.
2) Learn a little bit of Pontiac and Firebird history, and learn to ID the generations. Made progress on all fronts.
3) Enjoy the seminars. I was a little concerned that he would get bored, because he didn't come into it as a Pontiac or Firebird enthusiast necessarily (though I think he likes our car, especially after I let him drive it back to the Nats from Tipp City). Sometimes the presentations are a little specific, aimed (appropriately) at the educated, die-hard enthusiast. Much to my relief, he really seemed to enjoy each of them. He was pretty giddy (as was his Dad) to get to interact on John Schinella on several occasions (presentation, on the drive to Tipp City...I was following another Michigander in a gold 2nd gen as I wasn't certain on the navigation, and John and Suzanne passed us with a honk and a wave...walking around Tipp City (where I learned it was them that had honked and waved), got a photo with my son, John, Bill Davis and myself at Tipp City, along with John signing the car), Bill Davis at Tipp City, Herb Adams before his presentation when he signed our copy of "Chassis Engineering", Brandon Vivian, the first owner of the FireAms Brandon had there (sorry I can't recall his name right off the top of my head),hearing from Reggie Harris and Jim Mattison, etc. Got to meet and spend a few minutes with T-Top350, Buddy, Jeff Sawruk, Matt Adams, Bruce Hawkins, Tim Dye, and several other attendees that we kept running into. I think he really appreciated meeting some of the folks who made/make our cars and community great.
4) Buy a couple of bad cowboy hats. Check! An after midnight stop for fuel at a Pilot truck stop filled this (unexpected) need. James bought his (on sale for $13.99), and it was actually a comfortable, good looking hat. I went back and grabbed one too (though a slightly LOUDER design). All in good road trip fun, and they kept the sun off of us somewhat.

Things I'd like to do in the future:
1) Take more vacation if I possibly can. This is a tough one, but something I'd like to do to enjoy more, and rush a little less. Also would like to take in the drag racing on Thursday night, and stay through Sunday night for awards. But that's a lot of extra time off and money for meals and hotels.
2) See Wright-Patt again. We went through the Air Force Museum some years ago, when he was in the Oakland Composite Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol, and their whole squadron went for a day. Fantastic place.
2) Organize some sort of quick TGO get together for members that are attending. Even if it's just 30 minutes in the hotel bar (no karaoke, please), it would be nice to have a meeting place and time.
3) Wouldn't a TGO presence of some sort be nice? I know we're not likely to get a tent or table with someone manning it, but some form of promotion would be nice. Maybe some TGO stickers on the goodie table? Business cards to promote the site that we could give to 3rd gen owners we encounter? Or...???? T-shirts to wear to promote the site? Maybe an auction item for charity?
4) Enjoy a night of socializing in the parking lot. If you haven't been to the Nats, this may seem like a weird one. But LOTS of attendees hang out in the lot nights. Bring a chair and a beverage, and meet folks. We walked the lot Friday and Saturday, but didn't find a group to fall in with. I'll work harder at this one next year. The folks we did interact with were great.

Things the T/A Nats could add: ( I know, they are strapped just running the show. But as long as I'm dreaming....)
1) It would not hurt my feelings to have an autocross event associated with the show. I know that's an organizational can of worms, but with BIG empty lots at the mall and the university, and an active Western Ohio Region (WOR) SCCA near by, it seems like something that might be possible. Certainly some of the elements for it are there.
2) A portable dyno? I know that has been popular at several shows I have been to. I'd throw in my 144 H.P for the cause!

When I win the lottery, I'll buy and reopen the Candlewood.
It was great to meet you and your son, he appeared to be very happy to there, said he wpuld be there again when I asked him.
The show goes so fast, I have leanrt over the years to try and make it a vacation, show up early and leave Monday. The parking lot evenings everynight are as much a part of the show as everything else.
Years ago they did have a vendor bring a portable dyno. Kust the one year. The issue is if folks don't use it, like happened, they don't come back.
The show is amazing, but more mellow pace. I am not sure if it could be like something like other shows, drags autocross, etc thrown in. Again, if attendees don't participate they don't happen. All the cars are amazing, but I feel the majority of owners won't jump in. Not a slight on anyone, everyone there are awsome. Just these owners don't have the desire to do those. The drags were something years ago, sponcered by Rock'n"Roll Engineering, but ended. They kind of started up a couple years ago again, but just going on KilKare's test and tune night. The crowds jist never took their cars in numbers. Again, no knock on anyone. This show just isn't like the Pontiac Nats or Buick Nats.
Even if they set up a pylon coarse over at the Nutter Center I feel only low numbers would take their cars. Just the atmosphere. This is more of a people and the cars show. Not a bad thing, just the pace of the show.
The following users liked this post:
TTOP350 (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 03:25 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Homewood has been closed quite a few years now sadly. Apparently the water damage is worse than everyone thought. Nobody wants to touch it now. So sadly it sits there, almost the block. I don't think it would be open again for next year even if a company bought it tomorrow.
Old 09-03-2024, 03:51 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 805 Likes on 613 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Spent most of the holiday weekend getting ready for another trip, so I didn't have much time for the T/A. We did squeeze in a drive on Sunday evening, where I stopped for a quick picture in a local state park. We're really enjoying the improved ride and handling after a refresh that took way too long to get done.

The club's Fall Color Tour should be next, and maybe another event or two. Shouldn't have to shut down enjoying the car until November some time. Then I'll try to get an earlier start on the next round of projects (the ones I didn't get to this winter). Either interior (including removing seats and carpet to get sub-frame connectors welded in), or I may go back underneath to R&R the fuel tank, and install a refreshed and improved rear axle.
The following 2 users liked this post by DynoDave43:
modracer (09-03-2024), NCC-2569 (09-05-2024)