Members Firebirds Post pictures and information about your Third Gen Base, SE, Formula, Trans Am, and GTA Firebirds!

Bumper mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird, Dad bought it new
Engine: 5.7L Vortec w/ LT4 Hot cam
Transmission: 700r4 transgo shiftkit 2600 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.42 '02 SS 6 spd rear
Bumper mod

i have an 87 base model bird with a v8... the black bumpers on the nose are killing me, they stick out and just look crappy IMO i really just want t to be smooth like a T/A nose without the ground effects but i dont think a t/a nose w/o the ground effect will be the right length, so im going to mod it, gonna take the black inserts out and scrap them, then im gonna take the signals out from under the headlights and get some different ones to mount in place of the old bumpers... then im gonna take some corrugated steel to make a faux grill and paint it flat black... im trying to increase underhood and radiator airflow and make it look unique and in a word "mine" any thoughts, or is there anyone whos done something similar?? please note, this car will not be daily driven so no lectures on safety please, if those urethane bumpers are the only thing standing between me and oncoming traffic then my odds arent that good anyway... btw i removed the steel bumper behind it to reduce weight
Old 06-26-2010, 11:16 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Trans Am 'vert
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 bolt
Re: Bumper mod

Originally Posted by FlippindaBird
btw i removed the steel bumper behind it to reduce weight
BAD idea!! I know you said it isn't gonna be a DD but even if you get in a small fender bender, your unibody will be toast. It's better to just replace that steel bar than to have to bring your car to a shop to get its frame straightened. But your other modification sounds interesting. Good luck and show us some pictures!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:14 PM

Car: 1987 Firebird, Dad bought it new
Engine: 5.7L Vortec w/ LT4 Hot cam
Transmission: 700r4 transgo shiftkit 2600 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.42 '02 SS 6 spd rear
Re: Bumper mod

yeah i recieved a thorough chastising from several other members now, the car has no motor as of right now im planning a 383 build... but ive decided to get an aluminum bumper in place of the steel when cash allows, but by the way it looks now im not gonna be done with this engine before it gets too cold to work on the car this year so have no fear i will be safe this year