Members Camaros Post pictures and information about your Third Gen Sport Coupe, Berlinetta, LT, RS, Z28, and IROC-Z28 Camaros!

Barn find 87 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 Z28
Engine: TPI 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2:73
Barn find 87 Z28

I finally got around to finding a third gen, after my years of Monte Carlo love.

I went to buy a 5.3 for my TPI Monte (the next step in it's evolution) and while looking over the motor, he says "Know anyone looking for an IROC?" I told him maybe, but not off the top of my head. I figure it would be a ragged out turd, but what the heck, I'll look at it.

When he opened his garage this is what I saw.

Under the hood was a 305 TPI, with "blown head gaskets".....that had been disassembled years earlier.

The interior was there for the most part......

The column needs to be put back together (I've got tons of parts for these) and the door panels are peeling the top layer of fabric off. The worst part is a dent in the front of the drivers door and the broken windshield. At this point I figure the paint may buff out......

I looked it over and figured this looks like my next summer girl, if I can get it for a good price.

Skip forward two weeks and I get it home to my shop for $1200. I have to get the title from him later, it's in Austin at his brother in laws. He actually owns the car.

I start going through it to clean it up and evaluate it a little better. I hooked up a battery and ran through the electrical systems, and fuses. All was good.

First off, it's not a IROC, the code isn't in the RPO's. That's not a big deal because I figured if the head gaskets are blown, and that is all I need to do with a set of tires I'll be in it for about $3000.

The interior is in surprisingly good condition for its age. Wear and tear, but not torn up completely. The power driver seat even works.

If I have to put an engine and trans in it, I'll be out another $1000 since I have a good 700R4 out of a truck (GM reman with about 100 miles on it).

Well, the little 305 is locked up tighter than a drum!! (Figures)
Pull it out and scrap it, find a 350 since I need a engine...........

All of the wheels are there, but one is cracked pretty bad. It needs the part of the intake from the filters to the MAF. The Clear is worse than I thought, but over all the car is in decent shape. Pretty clean unedside and not bottomed out either.

I started to pull the 305, but Sunday night came and I had to get ready for work the next day.......

In the mean time I search and find a L98 out of a GTA with 117,000 in it in Houston. Complete with the single belt serpentine setup, oil cooler, SD harness and ECM.
GMan 3MT had a set of IROC wheels, and some springs I might put on it.

My neighbor Erik of H&K (formerly of Houston) needed to deliver a engine to HHP or somewhere, but his truck was down. We hopped in my truck, delivered his engine, I picked up the L98 for $650, and bought the springs/wheels from GMan 3MT.

I'll post more as it unfolds, but that's it for today...........
Old 03-27-2016, 09:23 PM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: Barn find 87 Z28

Nice. Keep the updates coming.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:36 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Car: 87 Formula, 91 Trans Am
Engine: 355 tpi, 305tpi
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

Very nice!
Old 03-29-2016, 03:38 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 753 Likes on 516 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

Nice! I never find $650 engines and $1200 cars.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 IROC G92 LB9 MK6
Engine: LB9
Transmission: MK6
Axle/Gears: 3.45

The interior is nice for tan...they normally do not age well. A great purchase for the mod and will be alotta FUN.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:06 AM

4/1/2016 Update

I went to pick up the title, and.......... its a rebuilt title. That really stinks, but I believe he didn't know. So, I decided to run a carfax (hind sight is 20/20????) which shows the car is originally from Ft.Worth. It was stolen in 1993, recovered, and a salvage title status issued. It passed emission testing in late 1993, and a rebuilt title issued. From there it has made its way to Austin, and on to me.
I have crawled all around the car, and the doors have repair, but nothing in the rear quarters, or the front end have been replaced. There isn't any damage under it where it would have been bottomed out or repaired either. It still has all of the vin tags on the nose and fenders, so I'm guessing the original paint was damaged and the column repair may have been what totaled in after it was stolen.
I went and had it titled in my name, and checked with my insurance co. to make sure they will insure it. After all of this, its mine, but I haven't decided if I will keep it or sell it this fall........that remains to be seen.

So Tuesday I decided to fix the column where it was loose, because they didn't know where the key was, and they sold the steering wheel..........

When I was cleaning up the floorboard, I found these scattered about........

I have an old Monte Carlo that donated a few more parts to complete the column repair, and a new key/tumbler. The Grant wheel is not my style, but it's all I have for now, and it's new. Just have to fix the horn, but that's for another day.

Wednesday I tried to buff the door just to see what it looked like. I spent about 10 minutes on it. It came out pretty good....if you compare it to the pic in the first post.

I decided after that to wash it, so I soaked it with purple power, and pushed it out to pressure wash it. After that I hand washed it with dish soap.

The pictures don't really show it, but the clear is really, really scratched. I think I can wet sand the clear and respray it, but there are a few spots that need help. I have a sample mixed up of the paint I'm going to try on a spare panel at some point. PPG can match 98% if I send them a license plate sized sample, so if I have the replace the door and fender I'll just buff, clear and cut it out of that. I don't really like to blend, but sometime you have to, and this whole car is good practice!!

The engine is still at the machine shop for its acid bath. Hopefully I'll get a call today on that. I ordered a Victor Reinz engine set from Rockauto and they are here waiting. I hope I can get Erik to line hone it too, while he is honing the cylinders and decking it, if so I've got a set of ARP main studs and a windage tray to put in it. If this all comes together, I might just buy a new set of pistons and rods, it won't be that much more....and send the crank to Westside to have it balanced. It would make a hell of a foundation or someone to build on when I decide to sell it, if I decide to sell it.......

I pulled the ECM and looked at it. I have two or three spares, so I'll throw the one out of my TPI Monte in it ( It has the Moates adapter already installed). I started working on an 89 PROM this morning for it too.

I want to pull out the spare 700R4 and look it over. I bought a TCI shift kit for it when it was going in my Monte, but I never installed either.

I wish I had the money and didn't have to work, I'd spend 20hrs a day on this thing until it looked new and drove better than that!!

More to come as it unfolds.........

Last edited by powerslave; 04-24-2016 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Spelling errors!
Old 04-24-2016, 09:35 AM

Re: Barn find 87 Z28 Update 4/26/16

It's been a bit since I've added to this thread,and a lot has happened over the last month.

First I want to thank member GMan 3MT for the parts!! He's a great guy to deal with!!

Thank you again!!

Since the 305 was trash, here is the 91 5.7 from a GTA on Craigslist I found. Supposed to be a low mile engine, ready to bolt in. I knew better than that, but.....

I neglected to pull the water pump before I hauled it home.

It seems the previous owner put a lot of stop leak in it! I was a little upset, but at this point it was mine, so I figure I would just tear it down to see how bad it really was.

I didn't find a blown head gasket, or water in the oil. The cylinders all looked good, so did the bearings, and it was reasonably clean. I decided to take it to have it cleaned and mag particle tested for cracks.

I have to get ready for the reassemble now. I'm going to line hone it, deck it and hone the cylinders if it will allow it after the acid bath. I would like to just hone it and throw the old rods and pistons back in with new rings, but If I have to bore it, I'll balance the rotating assembly with new pistons and rods, rings etc. I already have the main studs, so the short block should be bulletproof to 6000 RPM.

I'm just going back stock on the top end right now to give me time to think about what I really want to do with the car. I have a couple of sets of Vortecs I could put on it too, so it's not too late for that either.

More to come!!

Last edited by powerslave; 04-24-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 GMC Sierra
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4

Are you going to use those serpentine brackets for something? I'm looking for a set but may end up going to Austin Wrench-A-Part where they got in a 1992 305 TBI Firebird.

I see you have a couple of GMT-400 trucks as well. My TPI is going in my 1989 GMC Sierra.