Members Camaros Post pictures and information about your Third Gen Sport Coupe, Berlinetta, LT, RS, Z28, and IROC-Z28 Camaros!

My $700 85 Iroc-Z! Yellow!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 383 FFI
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: 3.42
My $700 85 Iroc-Z! Yellow!

Here we go boys! the pictures ive been promising!

mmk. here we go. First things first, as soon as me and my dad woke up this morning, we set to work. The passanger side window had been busted out, and we needed to get that fixed asap since it looked like rain outside

im just gonna do a few pics per post so bear with me
Old 01-06-2008, 06:56 PM

Re: My $700 85 Iroc-Z! Yellow!

Heres some random pics of the car before i cleaned it

Old 01-06-2008, 06:59 PM

Once the Window was fixed, we set off to make it run! Unfortunatly, the distributor was all wet inside and the car wouldnt run, and if it did, OMG the backfires! It was scary how bad this thing backfired (never heard a backfire before ). We ended up taking a hair dryer and propping it to blow into the bottom of it. After about 30 mins, we took if off and tried to fire it again. It took some serious time to get it run though, because the starter was bad too! and the fuel was old.. and the engine was shot.. list goes on. Finally though, we got it running. badly. Sounds like there is no compression but oh well. After messing with it for a bit, we backed it out of the driveway and took it for a spin up and down the road! Suprisingly, it ran pretty dang good despite the bad signs! Unfortunatly, we never got it too a good fast road to really try her out, because smoke started coming through the vents (!) and we were worried somthing might catch on fire so we hurried back!
Old 01-06-2008, 07:01 PM

and now, she is clean, yes?!

Old 01-06-2008, 07:04 PM

please note that my baby is rust free except for the front edges on both front fenders. Anything that looks like rust besides that probably isnt! (good example is the passanger side GFX, which the paint has flown off)

also, the red car is up for parts. Anything anyone needs, gime a PM.

and lastly, as you can see, im in need of a few parts. if you have somthing that you see my yellow baby needs, please send me a PM.

and a last parting gift, my L98 in waiting!

edit: im done now lol. Comments welcome!

Last edited by LMSkyliner; 01-06-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:16 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

lookin good
Old 01-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 180 Likes on 157 Posts

^ Looking very good! Heh, your driveway looks a lot like mine (too many cars)....
Old 01-06-2008, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
^ Looking very good! Heh, your driveway looks a lot like mine (too many cars)....

see. what you missed is the foxbody taking up the garage, the GMC in the street is ours, and our truck is at the neighbors cause were out of room
Old 01-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11

how much for the hood props?
Old 01-06-2008, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
how much for the hood props?

ill take $5 for the broom handle and $5 each for the chunks of lumber

but hey, cmon, they served their purpose well

/hood shocks are another think i need
Old 01-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 RS(sold) 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: ones that turn

sweet find for 700 bucks how come I never find deals like that
Old 01-06-2008, 10:19 PM

Car: 92 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1L V6
Transmission: T-5

Now theres a steal my friend. Lots of work ahead of you! best of luck!
Old 01-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 Formula 350
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9" 3.89

Looks like you will be having some fun. I would have bought another thirdgen by now if my dog hadn't have been hit by a car causing my over 5k in vet bills, and at 16 it will be a while before I get it paid off.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 180 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullydawg
I would have bought another thirdgen by now if my dog hadn't have been hit by a car causing my over 5k in vet bills...
The heck with the Third Gen's, how is the dog doing man....????

-Rob
Old 01-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
The heck with the Third Gen's, how is the dog doing man....????

-Rob
She is still alive and kicking it. Her leg is dislocated again and she needs another $800 in surgery. There is no way i will have her put down as she is really important to me. I just want her to be able to run and play again. I have spent soo much on her and yet she still isn't all fixed. O well, not much I can do other then get her all fixed up and have her Ridin Shotty in my Formula With me!

Old 01-07-2008, 03:13 PM

Car: 1983 Recaro T/A
Engine: L69
Transmission: MM5
Axle/Gears: 3:73

Looks good man! Just, yellow sucks. You got lucky on your car. I did too, I paid $800 for my IROC! =D
Old 01-07-2008, 06:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: '85 IrocZ
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73

nice set of wheels for $700! I got my '85 Iroc and shes red, but looks almost identical Good luck with future mods!
Old 01-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83 Trans Am / 96 Jeep XJ
Engine: 355 / 4.0 I6
Transmission: TH350 / Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10-bolt / 4wd

I paid 600 for my 85 z28, i believe u got me beat.....
Attached Thumbnails My 0 85 Iroc-Z! Yellow!-11-19-07_0648.jpg  
Old 01-10-2008, 09:19 PM

heres a Crap load of info from over on IGN about the future of this car, please note that ive already changed some of these plans lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Engine: 88' Trans Am GTA L98 (350TPI)
bored 30 over
internally balanced Forged 3.750" Forged 4340 steel crank
Forged 4340 steel H-beam connecting rods
Flat Top Forged Aluminum pistons
GM Fastburn Heads.
FIRST Fuel Injection Vortec TPI setup
Crane Cams anyone? Maybe Lunati.

exhaust:
Custom "Dyno Don" Headers and Dual Cat pipes.
Dual Dynomax cats
custom Y-pipe
Flowmaster 3in mandral bent cat-back

Transmission:
Begin with the Shift kit and manual valve body
once funds allow, A Corvette T56 shall be in place. It might need beefed up. We'll see.

Rear End
unknown. Probably going to either be a LS1 rearend with some 4.11's or a chevy version of the Ford 9in with some 4.11's.
Either way, Im happy with the disk 3.42's for now so i doubt it will be replaced untill it breaks.

Suspension/Chassis:
i havnt done much research on this yet. BUT
so far i've collected that the company Spohn makes the best thirdgen stuff. So i'm just going to go all spohn. basically anything they offer will be purchased eventually i guess. Plans are to go road racing so i need the suspension and chassis.
an interesting note is that i have decided to go dual subframe connectors. Thats right, 4 subframe connectors. The extra weight is a bummer, but i have seen the setup and its pretty bad a$$ and really makes up for the lost strength due to the T-tops.
also, there should be a cage installed eventually. Thats only going to be when i need one though.

Wheels/Tires:
AR Torq Thrust II's.
17x9.5x5.5 with some 295/55/17's on the back IIRC
17x8x4.5 with 265/50/17's on the front IIRC
yes.. this is going to be expensive . I know i made a mistake on those sizes but i dont feel like looking.

also, somthing fun to mention, I'll be keeping the iroc rims around because my dad can get free used 16in tires. Sure, they may not have any tread left at all, buut theyre still fun for.. well. fun

Brakes:
custom Corvette setup. Most likly using the heavy duty C4 calipers and 14" rotors. Some guidance from ebmiller.
Red calipers
ive seen this setup and really love it on the TTII's. It really fills the wheel.

Exterior:
Some kind of bright yellow. leaning towards Dupont's Hot Hues Smoooth Yellow 745533. However, I kinad wonder what the yellow on the new Cobalts would look like. since i can get GM stuff cheaper. Also considering the Vette yellow though thats $$$$.
Custom painted (no stickers!) black hockey strips
either 2in or 3in Cowl Hood. Bolt-on.
Custom Fiberglass 5in 3-piece spoiler. Actually, i am working with the company making this.
custom 383 badges.
vanity plate anyone?

Interior:
custom gauge setup fabricated by a friend.
Leather steering wheel out of a Malibu. yes a Malibu.
eventually an 8-point cage.
some kind of yellow/black aftermarket seats
eventually, the rest will be stripped for weight. especially that crap in the back. If a baby cant sit in the back, then why is there a back

far into the future mods that may never be done at all:
possible centrifugal procharger setup? More power is always good, and that fully forged rotating assembly will handle it with easy.
Then, if still get bored, maybe a 150 or 200 shot of Nitrous for kicks.

please keep in mind im a poor 16yr old and this is going to take a few years to put together especially since dad refused to help pay for most of the things. Basically he pays for insurance, and i get everything else

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can either:

1. the exterior. Get the car painted entirly from top to bottom, including a color change if i want (i really want alittle more orange in it to make it more of a bright yellow instead of a pale yellow). With this would come the 5in spoiler and cowl hood, along with the hockey stripes. that would pretty much run me dry, but the car would still be dependable. And after driving it even the little bit yesterday before we hurried home, its still quite a car even in its current anemic state. So maybe a Stock, but sexy looking, Iroc is all i really want for another year or so. (just because i was impressed with its performance doesnt mean i dont want more!)

2. the compromise. Paint the half of the car that needs it, and just touch up the other side, with the whole car being cleaned to its best. I looked at it in the bright sun-shine of today, and the drivers side and rear still actually have very nice paint left, I think it just needs some attention. The front and right side however, need some paint bad as i they were poorly repainted at some point. SO after the half paintjob with the original color, i would spend the rest on the bad a$$ exhaust, Corvette brakes, and shift kit, along with porting the plenum and runners, all giving pretty modest but helpful performance boosts, resulting in a once again broke me. Though i should still have some left

3. The performance route. Forget the paint, let it fly off! In this case i would drop the L98 in after putting in the fully forged 383 rotating assembly in, followed by heavily porting the plenum and runners, the full corvette brakes, the custom exhaust, ported heads, shift kit, and a manual valve body.

also, some parts i am getting before i decide which of the above routes im going:
-B&M shifter. Even though its an auto, the shifter is busted and i dont have the $ for a new tranny, so im going for a nice shifter. Would work good with the manual valve body too.
-front emblem. I think this is getting custom fabricated by a friend of mine though. Should look good and be different
-repaint and restick the emblems (all are faded or coming off)
-I need a headliner
-decide what engine we're using. I think were gonna change the oil and replace some seals to see if we can get this one working first, along with seeing what it actually is.
-paint the headlight pockets black. Even if its only rattlecanned.
-Needs new hood shocks
-replace the steering wheel with the lumina wheel in my pictures
-fix 2 switches that are dangling out of there rightful place
-turn signal handle needs replaced. It fell off
-drivers side seat track needs replaced
-all new locks and keys fabricated (getting the keys custom made to be just that little bit cooler. rock on connections!)

thats about all before the big decision

We'll see what happens! One things for sure, i need to head off to a junk-yard !

BY THE WAY, AS OF NOW I BELIEVE WE ARE GOING TO DO THE COMPROMISE ROUTE!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

ok.. heres what we think we've decided to do after me and my dad sat for a long, long time talking today:

fix the engine. We got the computer codes out of it. its only 2 codes, both of which are easy fixes, neither of which will ause any long term issues. The engines not rapping tapping or crapping (needed 3 lol). WEre going to fix those codes, change the oil, and redo all the gaskets to get everything nice and sealed. Also, the Posi is gone in the rear, so we;re gonna have to get a few new rear-end pieces. we'll keep the nice, streetable 3.42 gears though. We're also going to collect (note, collect not install) all the parts needed. Then, once it seems like all the mechanics are going to hold together, we're going to strip it down to metal, do all the body work, all the prep work here in the garage. This includes swapping in the new door and front fenders, cowl hood, and 5in 3-piece spoiler. After that, we'll take the engine and tranny out, and most of the interior. Then, Its off to the paint supply place to get either Velocity Yellow, or somthing dang close. We will do all the door jam painting ourself in the driveway to the best of our skills. My dad said hes done it all before for the mustang and he thinks we should be fine. I also believe we will be painting the engine bay, and re-undercoating the car. Then, its onto a flatbed and off to the shop down the road, where it will be sprayed professionally with the yellow. hopefully without missing anything. While its in the shop, we'll be getting a friend to make us some custom vinyl hockey stripes and cowl stripes. Once its out of paint, we'll get the stripes laid on there. Keeping the Iroc wheels due to budget. Then, its time to reassemble. New stuff going on the car! yay! The custom corvette brake setup will be bolted on all 4 corners, the posi will be fixed, we'll also have the headlight pockets blacked by now along with the engine bay. Going into the car will be the L98, all tidy and trim in its new engine bay. With it will be the tranny, now with a shift kit and manual valve body. New B&M shifter. 4th gen buckets will be replacing the ugly 3rd gen seats. All little trinkets that need fixed will be fixed. A new dashpad will have been ordered. On the engine will be Dyno Don's custom headers and dual cat pipes, along with dual Dynomaxes leading into a 3" mandrel bent flowmaster/dynomax cat-back (already on the car when i bought it). And i will now be entirly broke, but theres still a few free mods left. We will take some tools to the L98 and try our hand at Porting out the plenum, the runners, the base, and the L98's heads. This should increase airflow to match with the new, highflow exhaust better. Finally, we'll throw a $30 TPI airfoil and a custom CIA (made by myself. about $30 worth of materials from others that ive seen) will cap it off.

And that leaves me broke, but with one he11 of a freaking sexy iroc, with some extra pep to boot. My dad has approved of this plan and hinted to lending me some money if i need it since itll be close buying all this at once.

We're shooting for getting it under the knife for good by Spring break, and having it in its finished state for Summer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

so thats just some updated INFO for you guys. I got a good long 5-6 minute video of walking around and starting up the car today, but i don't know how to get it onto the computer!!! its a new camera so everythings new to me, but i also think i lost a cable already .

If i can get the video on the computer, ill have it up here within the hour.

~LMSkyliner
Old 01-12-2008, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 Camaro RS, 1999 GMC Jimmy
Engine: 305 TBI, 4.2L I6
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60-E
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73, 10 Bolt Posi 3.42

hey i seen u got PA plates on it, where in PA are you located?
Old 01-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Supreme Member

Sounds like a plan to me, It also sounds very expensive. I would get the 305 running and drive it until you can afford everything else. But, also remember, I turn 17 in 6 days, and my insurance is 80 a month and about 60 in gas. So if you do get the 305 running, plan on it taking a bit longer to save money. By the way, I am under my dad's name.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Bullydawg
Sounds like a plan to me, It also sounds very expensive. I would get the 305 running and drive it until you can afford everything else. But, also remember, I turn 17 in 6 days, and my insurance is 80 a month and about 60 in gas. So if you do get the 305 running, plan on it taking a bit longer to save money. By the way, I am under my dad's name.

Ha. yeah. I know very well that gas and insurance are going to shoot me in the foot. I have already planned for this, although its going to keep me from putting any parts on for a year or so except what i am buying with my initial cache. I have to be under my own name also. can you say $250/mo?

Originally Posted by ruberbanman126
hey i seen u got PA plates on it, where in PA are you located?

im in western PA. Around Pittsburgh!

edit: i see your in Pitt too. In that case ill be more specific, I am around South Park. Right around Bethal and lebo. gime a PM if anythings up! i think a few of the Pitt Thirdgenners were gonna go to world of wheels next month also.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:23 PM

Car: 1979 Z28 / 1990 RS
Engine: Matching 350 / 305 TBI
Transmission: Built TH350, 3000 Stall / 700r4

hey man looks pretty good and solid for $700 bucks. Seems like we both got about the same deal. lol and they are also both yellow and had title issues. But killer deal man! later -Matt
Old 01-12-2008, 08:22 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS, 1999 GMC Jimmy
Engine: 305 TBI, 4.2L I6
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60-E
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73, 10 Bolt Posi 3.42

Originally Posted by LMSkyliner
Ha. yeah. I know very well that gas and insurance are going to shoot me in the foot. I have already planned for this, although its going to keep me from putting any parts on for a year or so except what i am buying with my initial cache. I have to be under my own name also. can you say $250/mo?

im in western PA. Around Pittsburgh!

edit: i see your in Pitt too. In that case ill be more specific, I am around South Park. Right around Bethal and lebo. gime a PM if anythings up! i think a few of the Pitt Thirdgenners were gonna go to world of wheels next month also.

yea, i'll be at world of wheels but my car wont, my car is in storage for the winter because me and my dad just got it and didnt have the garage cleared out in time for winter and where we have it, it is climate controled.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by 19CAMARO85
hey man looks pretty good and solid for $700 bucks. Seems like we both got about the same deal. lol and they are also both yellow and had title issues. But killer deal man! later -Matt
Heck Yeah! A Z-28 for 700 bucks? Thats awesome! Congrats
Old 01-22-2008, 07:42 PM

hey man im thinkin about keeping my Z yellow what is your thoughts abuot that? just wondering lol you think i should help keep the yellow third gens around? -Matt
Old 02-10-2008, 12:24 PM

well man, I finally got my title and and a new windshield. I have a complete set of 91-92 aero style ground effects that are going on at this moment. I am going to keep my camaro yellow. how has the progress gone with your camaro? look forward to seeing some new pics. later -Matt
Old 02-11-2008, 02:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro SC, 1999 Z28
Engine: GMPP 350HO, LS1
Transmission: Built 700r4/EDGE 3200, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Eaton 7.625, 3.42 Zexel Torsen

she's got potential, i see the paint cleaned up nicely. bit of shine left in it.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:12 AM

OK. progress update.

Drivetrain/engine update. The engine is scrap. upon very close inspection, I cant believe that this car didn't catch on fire, the engine is leaking so badly. Add in the fact that mickey mouse and donald duck went to down on the wiring, and I'm just not dealing with this worn out 350/305 hybrid. On the other hand, the L98 teardown has begun and everything looks to be in remarkably good condition so far! I have a feeling it was torn apart and went through by a skilled mechanic sometime fairly recently in its 160k mile life, since most things look brand new clean.

Paint update: Im keeping A yellow. However im still arguing with my father over which yellow. He wants to keep the car the original yellow since it was yellow from the factory and there arnt many left. I want to make it a very vibrant, bright yellow like Sinister_Z's car. My argument is that since the engine and rear-end are being swapped asap, and the tranny shift kit-ed, then the car is no longer original and straying from the original paint color will not hurt the value of the car down the road. Plus i don't ever want to sell it .

Exterior update: About 99% of what i need to restore the car to perfect condition has been purchased. I have a passenger side fender, pass door, pass power mirror, pass spoiler chunk ($2 at U-Pull it!), and im finishing up a deal to buy the driver fender and driver door and driver power mirror all from the same guy locally. So my Iroc will soon be 7 different colors!

parts car update: too far gone to even consider selling as a car. stripped of anything that came off and was sent to the crusher Saturday morning. I kinda felt bad, since that was the first car ive ever killed, but i got $200 out of the scrap and She was beyond saving.

Budget update: Pretty good so far. the car was $700. fender, door, spoiler chunk were roughly $70. the second fender, door, and mirror are being negotiated to a shockingly low $30 total. Badges and a few switches have run me roughly $50. Gas to get it all has been about $100 ( ). Trailer rental was $55. so that takes it to $1005. The L98 was $200. $1205. Scrap for the parts car being $200 takes it back down to $1005. And now i have a garage full of parts, which im hoping to get roughly $200 for total. so that will take me down to $805. I picked up a free lumina "parts car" that is going to get stripped and scrapped. Hoping for another good $300- $400 for that. So that takes me down to approximatly $450 for my L98 iroc

on a side note, I lost my job recently due to store closings so i have 0 money flow
Old 02-11-2008, 02:09 PM

sounds like you are doing good man, my Z28 is yellow, purple, teal-green, and black as of now. Its a work in progress I need to work on the engine but i think my engine is froze because of cold temps and water for coolant lol oh well. Post some pics when the body work starts and let us see what you have done. -Matt
Old 02-12-2008, 03:20 PM

Car: 89 camaro
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4 w/ shift kit
Axle/Gears: stockers

i see your a western pa guy also......is that southwestern or north western? anyhow good looking car.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by deadman
i see your a western pa guy also......is that southwestern or north western? anyhow good looking car.
that would be southwestern PA. Im just south of pittsburgh.

why? whats up

Last edited by LMSkyliner; 02-12-2008 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:28 PM

i live in new stanton and i seen you got parts at u pull it and was wondering were you were located.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:32 PM

i live in new stanton and i seen you got parts at u pull it and was wondering were you were located.

ooh. New Stanton. Ive been down there for various things.

Im about an hour from you! thats pretty close
Old 02-12-2008, 03:36 PM

theres a yellow iroc thats sets along rt 22 close to pittsburg raceway park. is it yours?
Old 02-12-2008, 03:38 PM

theres a yellow iroc thats sets along rt 22 close to pittsburg raceway park. is it yours?

nope! sorry, mine is still sitting in the driveway waiting to get the starter upgraded (the newer smaller starters since the large ones are such a b**** to get out) so that i can start it and get it inside.

however i do believe ive seen that iroc before. it rings a bell for some reason
Old 02-12-2008, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by bradley23150
I paid 600 for my 85 z28, i believe u got me beat.....

i paid 200.00 for mine !
Old 02-12-2008, 07:15 PM

Car: 1986 Trans Am, 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 400 SBC, H.O. 305
Transmission: TH400, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt/3.73s, 10 Bolt/3.73s

Originally Posted by LMSkyliner
ooh. New Stanton. Ive been down there for various things.

Im about an hour from you! thats pretty close

I'm also in Southwestern PA I live in Rostraver, so thats pretty close to you in New Stanton.

Nice find btw, I paid $400 for my 86'.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:43 PM

Update:

New starter will be here thursday morning. Its out of a newer tahoe. Nice and small and packs a punch. Perfect for that tight compartment for the starters on these thirds.

also, barring getting the parts sold behind my back, I have just finished a deal for the driver fender, door, and power mirror that i needed to make this car entirly rust (surface rust included) free.

so now she just needs stripped down and painted, and she'll be good to go up against any of these bad boys on the boards, and i won't have to hide my poor baby anymore