LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Doing lt1 swap and cant get it to fire

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doing lt1 swap and cant get it to fire

I've got a question I'm sure at least one of you knows right off the top of your head, or maybe not.

I'm transplanting a (95) LT1 complete with fuel injection and computer with full wiring harness into a 1962 chevy truck. I have run fused power to every place in the wiring harness that i can figure received power when installed originally, and I have grounded everything i could find to ground. I ran the fuel pump and fan signal wires to relays that are grounded and fused separately. I cant seem to get the computer to come "online" when switchable power is applied to all the fused inputs, or does it only wake up when something tells it the car starts?

Another is the relays - I keyed the ignition to the ready position last night to see if the relays would kick on to power the fuel pump and they did not. I then took the relay signal wire out of the lt1 harness and touched it directly to the battery positive side. The relay clicked every time I did it, but the "hot" output did not get 12 volts to turn on the accessory. These were the $5 relays from oreillys (30 amp). I'm thinking ive just done something wrong in the wiring or did I get garbage relays?

Honestly, I'm thinking either I've missed a simple powered connection or ground, or ive got a trash ecm. How would i know if it was bad?

I've worked on it for a few months now and im pretty happy with my wiring (every connection soldered and heat shrunk insulated). I've made new points for all my grounds drilled directly in the frame.

This project has taken FAR too long and I'm ready to be done with it.

I would appreciate all the help i can get on this one. Thank you.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:41 PM

Re: Doing lt1 swap and cant get it to fire

It wont catch and start - does that mean that the VATS is stopping it, or that i have another problem since it wont start and then die?
Old 11-11-2016, 08:58 PM

GOT it fired up! I had missed one pink wire on the c100 plug that changes through the different years.

Only problem now is, that the engine is pouring blue smoke and oil from the right manifold (basically open shorty headers). ARG.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:49 AM

which temp sensor kicks the fan relays on? The gauge temp sensor or the water pump temp sensor? And at what temp are they supposed to kick on?

Thanks