LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

LS swap, no start issue... VATS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355ci SBC
Transmission: TH700R4 - 2500 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt
LS swap, no start issue... VATS?

Just got my PCM back from being tuned today. The VATS in the computer was tuned out but my starter won't turn over. Ignition comes on, computer has power and talks to my hand held scanner. So I'm guessing the VATS on the car is causing the problem. I took the green and purple wire that goes to the factory auto shifter and tied them together, since I'm running a 6 speed. So what else am I missing? It's something between the switch and starter solenoid.... As everything else powers up and works just fine.

Hope someone can steer me in the right direction so I can fire this new LS1 up. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2016, 06:16 PM
COTM Editor
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,325 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56
Re: LS swap, no start issue... VATS?

There is a cascade of events that need to happen to crank the engine. There is a start relay behind the driver side kick panel, down low near the carpet. That start relay is operated by the PASSkey module that is located behind the dash, about high left of radio. And the PASSkey won't throw the start relay unless it can see the correct resistor chip in the key switch and resolve that information with the engine ECM. By eliminating "VATS" in the engine ECM, there is no longer any way for the PASSkey to get approval from engine ECM to enable the start relay. That's probably why your car won't start.

You need to bypass the PASSkey module. There are two ways you can do it:

(1) Connect wires between terminals A3 and B1 of the PASSkey module. This is the method I used. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...ml#post5963351

(2) Jump the larger gauge YELLOW and GREEN/WHITE wires at the start relay.

Starter will now be hardwired to key switch, so don't do anything stupid with the key switch when engine is running. Now even a person with brains at 90th percentile is still 10% stupid, so I highly encourage that you wire in a clutch safety switch so you don't roll into another car some day when cranking.

Last edited by QwkTrip; 03-11-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:52 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: 1987 TransAm Ttop
Engine: 2005 LQ4
Transmission: Ls1 T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42

I agree with Qwktrip and hardwire the starter to a relay with a clutch switch.This way you easily bypass the passkey that is on the car itself,and adding in the security of any car with a factory clutch switch so that you have to press the clutch pedal to activate the starter relay.Without the clutch switch..if you just strictly bypass the passkey system by jumping those 2 wires together,you can easily start the car in gear!

For a quick test just to make sure the car starts and everything is in proper working order.Run a new wire from the starter solenoid with the key turned onto ignition and apply power to it and it will crank over..just for testing everything else.then wire it accordingly once your done finalizing the details.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355ci SBC
Transmission: TH700R4 - 2500 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
There is a cascade of events that need to happen to crank the engine. There is a start relay behind the driver side kick panel, down low near the carpet. That start relay is operated by the PASSkey module that is located behind the dash, about high left of radio. And the PASSkey won't throw the start relay unless it can see the correct resistor chip in the key switch and resolve that information with the engine ECM. By eliminating "VATS" in the engine ECM, there is no longer any way for the PASSkey to get approval from engine ECM to enable the start relay. That's probably why your car won't start.

You need to bypass the PASSkey module. There are two ways you can do it:

(1) Connect wires between terminals A3 and B1 of the PASSkey module. This is the method I used. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...ml#post5963351

(2) Jump the larger gauge YELLOW and GREEN/WHITE wires at the start relay.

Starter will now be hardwired to key switch, so don't do anything stupid with the key switch when engine is running. Now even a person with brains at 90th percentile is still 10% stupid, so I highly encourage that you wire in a clutch safety switch so you don't roll into another car some day when cranking.

Fantastic... Thanks for the help. I got it to turn over last night by tying the two wires at the starter relay together. And yes, I have a clutch safety switch and will wire it in. Shouldn't be too hard. Appreciate the help...
Old 03-12-2016, 01:18 PM
COTM Editor
TGO - 10 Year Member

You're welcome. Glad to help.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1992 z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T-56

Saving this because I am about to start my car soon, and I would have ran into the same problem haha. How exactly does the clutch safety switch get wired up? I bought one, but havent looked into wiring it up yet.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:51 AM
COTM Editor
TGO - 10 Year Member

It needs to interrupt a circuit that operates the starter. The switch is open when clutch pedal is out, and closed when clutch pedal is depressed.

If you did option (2) below, then you have to put the switch inline with the larger 10 AWG wires to starter. If you do option (1) below, then you can do the same, or put it inline with the smaller field control wires of the start relay.