LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Texas Two-step: My ls6/hybrid swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 08:59 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Re: Texas Two-step: My ls6/hybrid swap

Originally Posted by No4Play
It's connected just like factory on the 305. The 2 vacuum lines that were hooked up on the back of the 305 are connected to vacuum on the ls6. A/c is super cold, heat is hot...not sure what you're saying I did wrong. This is our 3rd swap and all work flawlessly....???
Factory heater lines on a 3rd gen go through a plastic flow control valve located near the AC compressor. A vacuum hard line from the firewall goes to this valve to divert hot water through the heater core when vacuum is applied to the valve by the climate control switch inside the car. This vacuum hardline is part of the bundle of wires located next to the AC box on the firewall near the centerline of the car. A hose from this valve goes to a tee in the metal hardline on the frame rail where the line goes to the radiator. Another hose goes from the valve to the firewall and heater core. The return line from the heater core does a 90 degree down the firewall to a hardline that wraps down the frame rail towards the front of the car.

The manifold vacuum lines go to a rubber line into the interior for the climate controls with a T fitting and check valve to a vacuum ball under the drivers side battery tray. The other line goes to the brake booster. What you did will work. Depending on the climate where you live, you might not even notice the difference. I live in AZ so I plumbed in the heater control valve to keep the heater core as cool as possible while running the AC.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 RS Heritage Edition
Engine: LS6 Mut
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: Stock
Originally Posted by Beater79TA
Factory heater lines on a 3rd gen go through a plastic flow control valve located near the AC compressor. A vacuum hard line from the firewall goes to this valve to divert hot water through the heater core when vacuum is applied to the valve by the climate control switch inside the car. This vacuum hardline is part of the bundle of wires located next to the AC box on the firewall near the centerline of the car. A hose from this valve goes to a tee in the metal hardline on the frame rail where the line goes to the radiator. Another hose goes from the valve to the firewall and heater core. The return line from the heater core does a 90 degree down the firewall to a hardline that wraps down the frame rail towards the front of the car. The manifold vacuum lines go to a rubber line into the interior for the climate controls with a T fitting and check valve to a vacuum ball under the drivers side battery tray. The other line goes to the brake booster. What you did will work. Depending on the climate where you live, you might not even notice the difference. I live in AZ so I plumbed in the heater control valve to keep the heater core as cool as possible while running the AC.
That's how it's ran...? I changed nothing from how the a/c and heat was set up from the factor when the car was purchased new in 91. It's a 2 owner car, my fiances and prior to that, her fathers. Still not sure what you're getting at.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:38 AM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 6.0L LQ9
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Dana 44 3.92

your pictures of the engine bay show the heater core hoses going straight from the water pump. there should be a valve controlled by vacuum in the middle to divert the flow as beater stated, that's how it was delivered from the general.

more info in jbenge's swap thready down below...

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...s1-swap-2.html
Old 03-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 299 Likes on 235 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt

No bypass needed. The a/c is the factory setup, I don't see why it would be any different...???
There is a coolant bypass on the 305, you can see it in the pictures in your thread

Originally Posted by Beater79TA
Without the heater control valve the heater core will always have hot water flowing through it. Since the core isn't isolated from the air flow when the AC is on, the cool air from the AC will flow over the heater core on the way out the vents. You can still cool the interior this way but not as easily as you can with either a manual bypass valve or the heater control valve plumbed into the lines.

4th gens get around this by having the heater core isolated from the airflow differently than a 3rd gen when the heater isn't on.
This

It's connected just like factory on the 305. The 2 vacuum lines that were hooked up on the back of the 305 are connected to vacuum on the ls6. A/c is super cold, heat is hot...not sure what you're saying I did wrong. This is our 3rd swap and all work flawlessly....???
You did NOT connect it like factory on the 305, none of the coolant bypass stuff is in there. You have the heater lines connected directly to the water pump. If you're getting cold AC, then something is wrong because you shouldn't be getting cold air out of the vents like you have it.

I'm just trying to help.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:28 AM

Car: 1992 RS Heritage Edition
Engine: LS6 Mut
Axle/Gears: Stock

You guys are absolutely correct my fault for not realizing what the heck yall were talking about. But in all honestly the A/C does blow cold...?? Now that I have the old heater control valve in hand how the heck do install it?
Old 03-31-2014, 09:04 AM

Car: '88 Iroc-Z
Engine: LS1
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi 10 bolt

There are several ways members here have plumbed in the valve. Some used the original valve & others an aftermarket piece. My TPI car had a steel tube mounted on the frame rail for the hoses. I see in your pictures at the beginning of the thread that your TBI car has it too. I re-mounted it as close to the inner fender as possible to give more header clearance. I turned the heater bypass valve upside down, so the hose that would have gone to throttle body on the TPI was now facing toward the inner fender.

I used all the stock TPI hoses except those that went to the water pump: "heater core to steel pipe" (Dayco 88353), "heater core to heater bypass valve" (Dayco 87701) & "steel pipe to heater bypass valve" (Goodyear 4347). Then found molded hoses that were the right sizes & cut them to fit for the "heater bypass valve to water pump" (Dayco 87695) & "steel pipe to water pump" (Gates 28478). I bought some hoses from local part stores & ordered some from Rock Auto. They have good pictures on their web site.
Attached Thumbnails Texas Two-step: My ls6/hybrid swap-img_0311.jpg   Texas Two-step: My ls6/hybrid swap-img_0312.jpg   Texas Two-step: My ls6/hybrid swap-img_0313.jpg  
Old 04-01-2014, 04:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1983 Firebird SE
Engine: C5 LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Just put to top….I did this…one of many of us who have…

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...-valve-ls.html