LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Need some DEFINATE LT1 swap questions answered please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013 | 07:29 AM

Car: 91 LT1 RS 89 IROC-Z 350 TPI
Engine: LT1 // 350 TPI
Transmission: WC T5 // 700R4
Axle/Gears: BW 9 Bolt 3.27 //BW 9 Bolt 2.77
Need some DEFINATE LT1 swap questions answered please!

Hello everyone, I have finally just finished machine work on my LT1(30 over full rebuild all new and cleaned, and all felpro gasket stuff! Getting prepared to notch the k member and set it in this weekend. Anyways, I am planning on having this car refereed to get a C.A.R.B. certification, so I can LEGALLY smog it. I have a few questions. First off:

Question 1: Can i run ANY aftermarket headers? (will there be provisions for the metal flex line out the back of the intake? I'm fine with welding in o2 bungs, that is not an issue... I'm also fine with running stock manifolds need be.

Question 2: will hooking up my current EVAP system from my tank and charcoil canister and the rest work fine? And what about wiring it?

Question 3: Will there be any issues with my "1994 automatic LT1 ECM" with me running my rebuilt WC T5 behind it? (Not worried about it being weak, i drive easy on it) more or less worried about electronic programming for the auto, as my harness is auto too. Can i ignore the automatic provisions? Or cut them out? Change ECM?

Anyone who has had their car CARB certified, would be of great help here in telling me thier setup to pass a Ca Referee.

Thanks a bunch,

Brendan
Attached Thumbnails Need some DEFINATE LT1 swap questions answered please!-img_1518.jpg  
Old 08-11-2013 | 01:47 AM

Car: 86 Z28/86 IROC
Engine: 305 LG4/ LT1
Transmission: 700R4/4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: Need some DEFINATE LT1 swap questions answered please!

I live in CA and i yanked all that emissions junk, carb referee thing is a joke, i had a 92 ford f350 swapped with a 94 cummins, truck was a 460 gas originally and even though the engine i put in was newer they wouldnt pass it. I have cheapo headman headers on my LT1 with egr tubes and all, when i went to smog it it passed sniffer but failed visual so wtf? I gave up and car is registered out of state. This state SUCKS!
Old 08-22-2013 | 03:59 PM

Car: 1987 Sports coupe/z28
Engine: 2.8/ swapping 5.3
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Open 3.42

Originally Posted by Ninety-One
Hello everyone, I have finally just finished machine work on my LT1(30 over full rebuild all new and cleaned, and all felpro gasket stuff! Getting prepared to notch the k member and set it in this weekend. Anyways, I am planning on having this car refereed to get a C.A.R.B. certification, so I can LEGALLY smog it. I have a few questions. First off:

Question 1: Can i run ANY aftermarket headers? (will there be provisions for the metal flex line out the back of the intake? I'm fine with welding in o2 bungs, that is not an issue... I'm also fine with running stock manifolds need be.

Question 2: will hooking up my current EVAP system from my tank and charcoil canister and the rest work fine? And what about wiring it?

Question 3: Will there be any issues with my "1994 automatic LT1 ECM" with me running my rebuilt WC T5 behind it? (Not worried about it being weak, i drive easy on it) more or less worried about electronic programming for the auto, as my harness is auto too. Can i ignore the automatic provisions? Or cut them out? Change ECM?

Anyone who has had their car CARB certified, would be of great help here in telling me thier setup to pass a Ca Referee.

Thanks a bunch,

Brendan
I'm pretty sure all the headers that fit on the stock tpi and tbi engines fit on our lt1's also. I have shorty headers that was on my lo5 on my lt1.

Emissions I don't have em.

We get a lot of our torque down low so no real rpms are safe for that t5. You may baby it, but I'm not sure it will last long.
Old 08-26-2013 | 02:01 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Z28
Engine: 2005 5.3L, LS6 Cam
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: DTS 9" 3.50 TrueTrac

I have ran Hooker 2055's and 2210?'s (1 3/4 long tubes) on my old LT1 setups with no issues. Been like 5 years since I have done LT1 stuff so I could be wrong on the Longtube Part number.

For emissions my car didnt require (1987 and older was exempt here). so that was all deleted on mine.

As for the PCM you will need it tuned for a Manual Trans. The computer will toss codes and put the car into Limp mode if it doesn't see a Auto trans connection to the PCM.

Hope this helps.

Jay