LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

LQ4 shopping list.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:25 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
LQ4 shopping list.

Ok. So I'm certain I'm heading for an LQ4 T-56 swap from my carbed (non computer) 87 5 speed T/A.

Goal: Get the motor and transmission in, and running reliably with as little changes as possible in plans of future mods.
I want to use the stock k-member for now, without A/C. Do I still need to clear the K-member if I drop the k-member out to install the motor? I saw someone post about just pounding the k-member for some oil pan clearance. I have seen pictures of notches for the A/C issue, but I haven't seen any when it comes to the oil pan clearance.

What is the easiest, simplest year of Lq4 (what donor vehicle) as far as it being the proper crankshaft, with the right PCM. I will make sure when I get the motor that it comes with the harness and computer.
Was thinking of ordering a harness, but I might do it myself as there is enough info here to figure it out... or I'll send it off when I send off the PCM to be flashed and use wait4meperformance to get it all set up. In this case I'll spend a bit of extra cash.
I've read up on this for a few days now, and I know roughly what vehicles I'm looking at, but I can't narrow it down.

As for accessories... Can I run the stock power steering pump that comes with the truck engine and just use a kwik alternator mount adapter to clear the hood? This way I don't have to change the crank pulley. But then what do I do with the water pump/TB clearance issue? In all the build threads I've read, I haven't seen what people do or where to get the parts.

Going for an LS1 intake... Again, as cheap as possible for now while being done right.
Fuel... Inline pump (do I need to take the pump from my tank or can I just leave that in there?) with the C5 filter with the regulator. Lines, I have no idea how to modify stock lines as I've never used compression fittings... But I'm pretty sure I can figure that out.

Going with late F-body LS1 exhaust manifolds, make or have a y made up and out the back.
Does the current hawks transmission mount allow for good ground clearance of a y-pipe?

T-56... I can't find one, I've called auto recyclers, done inventory searches etc and just can't find any from an LS1 f-body.
I'm assuming that is the specific T-56 I need due to the LSx engine and also having the mount for the rear torque arm. Or can I buy a torque arm relocation kit? I know the spohn crossmember has one, however you then have exhaust routing issues.

What clutch master do I use? Will the stock one work, do I get the T-56 one and hope I don't have bleeding issues or do I go for the tics? Again here I will spend for the Tics just to avoid a headache.

These are the biggest issues I'm trying to plan out. I'll be renting a project bay with a lift to do this, so what I want to do is do a mock up fitment of as many parts as possible in my small work space at home, take it to the project bay, get the engine and transmission in there and as much of the fuel and exhaust plumbing done as I can, then trailer the car home to finish up the electrical and coolant system stuff.
I'm trying to stay in the $5-$6000 range. I'm not ready to do the swap at the moment (I'm enjoying the "new" car for the summer) however, I'm a bargain hunter so I would like to know what I'm looking for, and when things show up I can grab them at a good price.

Just want a good running car for now. Once I get the bugs worked out I'll get an aftermarket rear end, then do the body, then do a full suspension swap with a tubular k-member and the like and then dig in to the motor performance stuff.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:25 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Re: LQ4 shopping list.

I saw I got a bunch of views, but no input. But I figured I could at least put up what I've figured out on my own.

I've figured out most of the issues in the last couple days.

Where the heck do you guys find T-56 transmissions?
I'm in Ontario, so sending something like that across the border adds too much moola to the cost for me.

I've located a number of truck (well, van) engine/harness donors that are drive by cable that are lower in KM for a good price.

Serpentine set up... I'm guessing I'll just keep my eyes open on KIJIJI, E-bay and a few forums.
Same thing for an LS1 intake with rails and injectors.
Fuel system I have worked out. Going to get braided line, use AN 8 fittings and a couple of adapters, inline pump and the corvette filter. Stock tank, I'll just remove the in tank pump and make it a basic pick up.

Electrical, I've read and read and came across an awesome video on youtube... I'll do it myself.

Exhaust, I can fab myself. Just get a 110 welder, one of those kits with pre-bent tubing and go to town.

Transmission mount, I'm going with the hawks double bump since the one I really wanted isn't made anymore.

K-member, I'll just use a BFH to clear it a bit for the oil pan if I need to.

I do have a seriously dumb question, but I looked for a few hours today... Do I need to change the valley cover plate when switching intakes?
Old 06-27-2013, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: LQ4 shopping list.

There is a whole section on LSX swaps:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-lsx/
Old 06-30-2013, 12:36 AM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Moved it there.