LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

L92 Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L92 Swap?

Ok, i have an L92 outta an Escalade (dunno what year), I believe it has DOD and VVT but was told everything was deleted inside the engine.
I already have an LS3 intake from a vette on way.
Have the engine mounted to the trans with an LS7 Clutch/Flywheel. The trans is out of an 02 Camaro with 30k on it only.
Engine/trans were mounted together and put in the car with spohn engine and trans mounts.
Put on the LS1 oil pan also.
Have the Tick master cylinder already hooked up to the 3rd gen pedals.
Also had a better cam put in (not sure on specs, Comp Cams custom grind) and Comp Cam's Beehive springs.

Everything went smoothly.
What else is needed for the rest of the install to get it running?
I am looking at getting the GM Performance Parts LS engine control kit that includes a stand alone harness, pcm, gas pedal and O2 sensors. I would like to keep the DBW also.
My car has no AC.
I would like to run brand new LS1 front accessories. I think i read that i need the LS1 front timing cover, correct?
Is a high flow water pump needed?

What do i do for the fuel delivery? What fuel pump do i need? What regulator do i need? I want it to look as clean as possible.

Can i run the Corvette Coil Covers with the truck coils and brackets that i have? Or what do i need to run them covers?

I also have some LS1 exhaust manifolds that i got for free. Clear perfectly but will they restrict my performance?

Any other small things i need to run this thing and make it driveable come May or June?

What factory wiring do i need to keep in this thing? Car was orignally a TBI/5-speed 1991 Camaro RS. I dont want a complete mess of wiring.
I also dont want to go with the hassle of making one harness out of two as i didnt get a harness with my engine anyhow. I want to run the stand alone system.
I want to get my engine bay as clean looking as possible.

While im here. Whats needed to run a smaller shot of nitrous? I am thinking a 100-150 shot only occasionally.

Thanks in advance guys. Cars a huge project and alot of fun.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:32 PM

Re: L92 Swap?

Can anyone help me out?
Old 11-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 93 240SX
Engine: LQ9
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.54 R200 IRS

If you want the car to actually be fully functional you need a custom wiring harness, the "Stand alone" will get you one harness that you'll need to overlap with a bunch of other wiring to get the car to fully function.

You can either start with that "stand alone" and modify, cut, splice etc until its a usable harness, or have someone do it, or have the right harness made from the start.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Supreme Member

Fuel pump, regulator etc depends on exactly what you're after and what you are willing to spend and what you are willing to change, you could run an upgraded pump in the stock tank, you could install the tank from a 99-02 to gain the plastic lighter tank and run an upgraded pump for that tank. Or just install the corvette regulator/filter assembly.

Yes you need a non VVT timing chain cover to run the camaro accessorys.

Coil covers dont care too much which coils are under them.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Z28ricer
If you want the car to actually be fully functional you need a custom wiring harness, the "Stand alone" will get you one harness that you'll need to overlap with a bunch of other wiring to get the car to fully function.

You can either start with that "stand alone" and modify, cut, splice etc until its a usable harness, or have someone do it, or have the right harness made from the start.
Well. I was gonna probably end up with the complete autometer cluster at some point with all new electric gauges. Wouldnt i need to modify whatever harness whether its the stand alone or the custom made one than regardless?
Right now i may run the factory gauges.
Cant i just splice into the stand alone harness for my tach, speedo, oil pressure, volt and water temp to work? Like if i still use the complete stand alone, but splice into just those sensors for my gauages?

Would a Walbro 225 in tank pump be suffifient? (where can i get btw) along with the adaptor lines and areomotive regulator from Hawk's Third Gen?
Is the Non VVT Timing cover the same as the LS1 front cover than? Do i just need the cover and gasket or do i need a sensor at all? Do i need a different timing gears/chain too or can i use the one thats in there?

Really? I thought i read somewhere that the Corvette Coil Covers wont work with the Escalade Truck coils/brackets as they mount up higher on the valve cover? Or am i wrong?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:21 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Boreen
Well. I was gonna probably end up with the complete autometer cluster at some point with all new electric gauges. Wouldnt i need to modify whatever harness whether its the stand alone or the custom made one than regardless?
Right now i may run the factory gauges.
Cant i just splice into the stand alone harness for my tach, speedo, oil pressure, volt and water temp to work? Like if i still use the complete stand alone, but splice into just those sensors for my gauages?

Would a Walbro 225 in tank pump be suffifient? (where can i get btw) along with the adaptor lines and areomotive regulator from Hawk's Third Gen?
Is the Non VVT Timing cover the same as the LS1 front cover than? Do i just need the cover and gasket or do i need a sensor at all? Do i need a different timing gears/chain too or can i use the one thats in there?

Really? I thought i read somewhere that the Corvette Coil Covers wont work with the Escalade Truck coils/brackets as they mount up higher on the valve cover? Or am i wrong?
This stand alone doesnt solve ANYTHING compared to a stock harness, I wish companys werent so able to brainwash people into thinking it makes things easy.

The factory thirdgen harness contains the wiring for power supplying the car, grounds for the car, as well as the gauges, and fan wiring, etc, you need a correct harness for the car unless you want to have a bunch of wiring running every other direction, which you've said you want a clean install.

IF you want a clean install, as you've stated, you need a thirdgen specific harness, for the swap.

If you end up installing aftermarket gauges, unless you end up getting full sweeps that have 3 wire sending units, the factory dash wiring is just fine, there is no benefit to trying to go around it, rather than just making it plug in and work.

Sorry you're right on the covers, unmodified, as things are no they dont just bolt right up and work, i'm used to modifying things to work no matter what if I really want it to, so I didnt think for a second on that.

Yes the walbro 255 will do the job.

Yes the LS1 cover is non VVT, timing chain not sure, depends what you've installed, yes you need to change the cam sensor, and iirc you should be changing the oil pump as well.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:54 PM

Why do i have to change out the oil pump? Is it too high of PSI for the smaller pan now?
Would a ported Melling LS1 one work alright?

Where can i locate some accessories? I dont have AC in my car and dont want it.
I have a line on a water pump and balancer from an 04 GTO with the LS2 in it. Can i use these parts (basically free) and run the Camaro LS1 power steering and altenator and tensioner? Or will the water pump and crank pulley (balancer) be offset a little different from the LS1 accessories?

Sorry for all the questions. I am new to these LS engines. I got the engine and trans bolted into the car at least. Next is finding more parts once i know what i need.

Where can i send a computer to be tuned also? I am buying the GMPP Controller kit and gonna make it work with my harness. My cam is bigger than the GM "Hot" Cam also and is a custom grind from Comp Cams.

What about Hooker LS Swap Headers? Anyone run these?
I seen long tube ones on Pace Performance for a good price and was considering those over the LS1 Camaro Cast Manifolds.

What is needed to run a small shot of spray on this engine also? I was thinking anywhere from a 100 shot to a 150 shot. I've seen Zex Nitrous kits for the DBW LS engines.

Where can i get a Walbro 255 pump for my car? Is it a direct replacement or does it need modifying to install? I think i will get the LS swap lines and the AeroMotive Regulator from Hawks Third Gen for a cleaner install.

What would be needed to run the Corvette Coil Cover's with the L92 Coil's?

And last but not least, what springs can i run to lower the front of my car back down? I noticed from my old set up that the front of my car is now 4" higher than before with the cast iron 357 and the 700R4 (cast heads too)
I was thinking i will need to cut a half or even a full coil off of the springs to bring it down a bit. Or can i buy lowering springs for a V6 car and be close to the right spring rate for the lighter engine? Either way, i want to lower my car alot anyhow.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: 6.2L

Search my posts for pics of my L92 swap. As for wiring? Stand alone is the way to go. Merging in a handful of feeds for gauges is easy but integrating the ECM into the factory fuse block is a pitfa again you'll see what I did if you search it out.

Use the Hawks SW longtubes ( the pricey ones ) at least 1 3/4"

As for the cam you have? Post a pic of your timing cover now so we can see whats what.

Why change the oil pump? There are no bad factory oil pumps in these gen IV's

You can get a Walboro in tank pump thats plug and play. Use the Corvette filter for your regulator. it mounts close to the tank so all you will have is one line to feed the engine. Nice and clean and it works.

I run Eibach sportlines on mine. Love the stance

Nitrous? No clue I never use the stuff. Bottles are for babies :P
Old 12-30-2012, 07:24 PM

I have no idea what cam is in this engine. i know its a custom grind from Comp Cam's tho. The guy that chose it has built many many race engines. But is just starting to get into the LS series of engines. He said it should have 540-550hp at the flywheel with this Cam. It needed double beehive springs too.
It is a single bolt cam actually too.

I dont know much of anything on these LS engines either. So thats why im here.
My engine here i assume was out of an Escalade being it came with the truck intake and pan. But only has 6,000 miles on it when it got totalled off and pulled.

Im wanting to squeeze as much power outta this engine as i can before i need to supercharge it and do forged internals (and maybe a stroker) to get more.
Where can i send a GMPP ECM to be tuned? I know i will need to get the exact cam specs before i do so. What can i expect outta the cammed LS3 going through a T56, aluminum driveshaft and a LS1 10-bolt with 4:10's or 3:73's (still undecided on gear ratio)?

I am gonna go at least 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 Long Tube headers into a single 3" exhaust with dual tail pipes. (SLP Loudmouth or Spintech Exhaust)
I would like a 100 or 150 shot for when (or if) i take it to the track at all).

Also, what accessories do i need and where can i get them? I can get an LS2 front cover, LS2 GTO water pump and LS2 GTO Balancer for free if they will work for me.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 369 TPI
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Nine Bolt

That is an interesting VVT camshaft conversion. I have never seen a single bolt dual chain conversion before. That is a VVT timing chain cover. The L92 had a high pressure oil pump to control the VVT. If that is still there you probably want to change it out from what I have read. Also don't forget that the motor has a 58X reluctor.

Last edited by 1989GTATransAm; 12-30-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:12 AM

So is this still a VVT engine than or not?
I can get the new LS2/LS3 style front cover that only has the cam sensor and not the VVT sensor which is lower profile.
I dont want VVT or DOD as i am NOT conserded about fuel mileage at all. My main concern is squeezing every bit of HP outta this engine as i can. I have a new truck for a daily driver and this is just a car to sit and look pretty and take out occasionally.

Yea i will be changing out the oil pump. Will a ported Melling LS1 pump work just fine?
Can i buy the front cover and run the LS1 camaro accessories than? Will the 2010 Camaro front accessories work also and clear the hood?

Do i have or ever had DOD?

And are these the truck coils/brackets than? Will these fit under the Corvette Fuel Rail Cover's?

What else can i do to squeeze as much power as possible outta this engine before i need to do the internals and/or do forced induction?
Old 12-31-2012, 12:14 AM

Also, can i still buy the LS376 Engine Controller Kit for this from GMPP and it will run like it should?
Where can i send the GMPP ECM away to to get it dialed in as good as possible? I cannot dyno tune the car. The closest dyno MIGHT be 4hr's away. If not its 10+ hours away.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:04 AM

Car: 1984 Camaro
Engine: LS1
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/4.30

With the power this is going to make as is, you're gonna need one real nice driveline to do much of anything with it. This isn't an old "balanced and blueprinted 406" here, a cammed and properly tuned 6.2 with the heads you have will absolutely scream.

Get it running, out some miles on it, be amazed at LS power, then start the serious mods if you desire. The amount of money and time to do a project like this is already significant and complex, adding more mods just makes it more so.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1983 Firebird SE
Engine: C5 LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by UnstableAviator
With the power this is going to make as is, you're gonna need one real nice driveline to do much of anything with it. This isn't an old "balanced and blueprinted 406" here, a cammed and properly tuned 6.2 with the heads you have will absolutely scream.

Get it running, out some miles on it, be amazed at LS power, then start the serious mods if you desire. The amount of money and time to do a project like this is already significant and complex, adding more mods just makes it more so.
He say truth. You gonna have gobs of power.
Be worried about your rear axle, and even the factory T56.
ALSO, more stuff = more time. Plenty to keep you busy already.
Nice looking engine. LSs are nice engines to work on.
Hold on, when you get it going. Enjoy.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:28 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 145 Likes on 79 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am
Engine: LSA
Transmission: T56 AWD
Axle/Gears: 8.8 4.10

Leave the cam phaser and tall front cover on to retain VVT. Read V8 Rumbles posts about the benefits of VVT in a performance application

The engine also had DOD, but the the block ground down it can no longer seal against the valley cover, so DOD is permanently defunct

Using the cam phaser front cover, you need to run truck spacing accessories. You can do this with a L92 or L99 (5th gen auto) waterpump and install a 3/4" spacer under each mount for the Fbody accessories to bump them up
Old 12-31-2012, 11:40 AM

So this is a VVT Cam than?
I have no interest in keeping VVT. Its just one more thing that i dont need on a car that sees maybe 600-1000 miles a year.

So if it had DOD, do i need the LS7 lifters than? I dont think they were ever changed.
Also if it had DOD and VVT. What would this engine be out of and what is it called than? Is it still just an L92?

Cuz if i leave the VVT in, than i cant run the LS376 GMPP Controller package and will need a computer and harness outta a dead vehicle, wont i?

I found on Pace Performance before that i can buy the complete 5th Gen Camaro with VVT front accessories which includes everything i need (being i dont have A/C)

Last edited by Boreen; 12-31-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 PM
Supreme Member

You don't have DOD. The single bolt that holds the camshaft sprocket on is not the style used with VVT. I don't know what you have there. It may be a type of conversion that I am not familiar with. Pull a lifter out and see what it is. A LS3 and LS7 have the same lifters as does a non DOD L92. So you may already have the correct lifters.

Change out the oil pump and run an LS3 setup and then you can use the LS376 GMPP controller and harness. As stated run the truck accessory brackets or the 2010+ Camaro brackets. As to the tuning there are a few places that can program the computer. I bet they can get it pretty close. Work with someone such as Ted Jannetty(sp) or Texas Speed and Performance. They both tune high performance LS3 Camaros and probably have a tune that would be very close to what you are doing. To get it dead nuts you need to get the car somewhere that can tune it driving around and put it on a chasis dyno.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:45 PM

Really dont wanna pull the heads to see what kind of lifters i got, but i dont think they were changed at all from the factory ones. So i will need LS7 or LS3 lifters than, correct?
Also is there much benifit going to the hollow stemed LS3 valves? Where can i get them also?

Spoke with my builder. The complete timing set was changed and the DOD and VVT was eleminated. He built two other engines like this and is working on the third. One of the two before mine is running awesome right now but he is using a FAST EZ-EFI with the self tuning ability. Both have cams very similer to mine.
I will have to get the exact specs on my cam when it is needed to be tuned.

It's kinda hard for me to take the car somewhere to be dyno tuned. I am up in Canada and i dont wanna have to haul it down to texas to get it dyno tuned spot on. I would like it to be tuned for having a small shot of nitrous on the street too.
Can i just send my computer in and they tune it, and send it back to me than and should run (of course) better than the stock tune?
Sorry, i am used to carb'd engines and diesel performance. LS-Engines are new to me.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:10 PM
Supreme Member

"Can i just send my computer in and they tune it, and send it back to me than and should run (of course) better than the stock tune? "

That is what I was suggesting. Then when you are ready have someone within driving distance due the final tuning. If you work with someone using the suggested add on parts to achieve your goal then the mail order tune should be pretty close.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:33 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 145 Likes on 79 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am
Engine: LSA
Transmission: T56 AWD
Axle/Gears: 8.8 4.10

If you're throwing out VVT, then a LS2 front cover will work and opens up a few waterpump options

For the LS3 valves, think about what you'll be doing with your engine. If you feel the need for a lighter valvetrain is worthwhile, then get some

You can degree the cam inside the engine and determine specs
Old 01-13-2013, 07:59 PM

Got an LS2 front cover waiting to go on.
Got an LS3 intake off a Vette installed now also.
I put the truck throttle body on the car intake. Its the same size (90mm) so i assume it will work just fine?
The big hose at the back of the intake is for the brake booster, is it not?

The nipple on the back of the drivers side valve cover tho, where does that connect to, if anywhere?

Im gonna wait on the valves till i stroke and boost the engine.

Im gonna get the cam specs from my builder this week for you guys to see.

I will be more than happy to hit 400rwhp, but if i could hit 500rwhp on 91 octane, than thats much much better.
Any estimates on what i can be pushing with through a T56 and LS7 clutch and LS1 ten bolt with 4:10's?

Still debating on 4:10's or 3:73's.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Supreme Member

"The big hose at the back of the intake is for the brake booster, is it not? "

Yes it is.

"The nipple on the back of the drivers side valve cover tho, where does that connect to, if anywhere?"

It is part of the PCV system and goes to the nipple behind the throttle body.

Last edited by 1989GTATransAm; 01-14-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by 1989GTATransAm
"The big hose at the back of the intake is for the brake booster, is it not? "

Yes it is.

"The nipple on the back of the drivers side valve cover tho, where does that connect to, if anywhere?"

It is for accessories that require vacuum such as for the vents for the heater and A/C. Hook that line up to it.
Ok thanks alot. One step closer to gettin it on the road than.
Dont have AC, and dont think i had a vaccum line on my old carb'd engine for my heater. I will have to double check under the hood again.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Supreme Member

One more thing. When hooking up the brake vacuum hose you might want to hook it up to the intake manifold first. Then hook it up to the brake booster. Less chance of breaking something.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:02 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Originally Posted by 1989GTATransAm

It is for accessories that require vacuum such as for the vents for the heater and A/C. Hook that line up to it.
The valve cover isn't a vacuum source.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: 6.2L

^ I didnt have time to read all this but the nipple at the back of the drivers valve cover is the dirty side of the PCV hooks up to port behind TB on LS3 intakes. The nipple on the front of the pass side valve cover goes in the intake tract before the TB. It must be hooked up or you can register a misread on the MAP
Old 01-14-2013, 07:43 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by five7kid
The valve cover isn't a vacuum source.
You are right. I meant to say the small nipple in the back of the intake next to the large one for the brake booster for a vacuum source. I will correct the post.

The nipple on the back of the valve cover is for the PCV system. The one on the drivers side will go to the front of the intake manifold by the throttle body. At lot of people install an oil catch can in this line to cut down on the amount of oil being "sucked" into the intake manifold. The one on the passenger side and up front goes to a clean air source such as between the air filter and the throttle body.

Last edited by 1989GTATransAm; 01-14-2013 at 07:48 PM.