LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Are these 243's ok?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 03:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are these 243's ok?

A friend of mine who used to have a c5 zo6 did a HCI swap a long time ago. He later sold the car and the stock ls6 heads that he had sat in his garage for quite some time. He decided to "port and polish" the intake of one of the heads. Got finished on one, started the rest but never finished. From what i noticed, i dont believe he gasket matched the heads, ( i have an ls6 intake which will be put on) he widened the crap out of the insides, and in one of the pictures, you can see a small hole in the second intake runner up inside. What im asking is........are these heads done for? i basically have all ls6 parts to go on my 5.3 and i know NOBODY sells just one head. I could really use your expertise on this.

Thanks, Tyler

Name:  243_zpse4bc50f5.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  90.3 KB
Old 10-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: Are these 243's ok?

only the one pic works for me.... the one where its sitting on the table with intake ports showing. judging by the porosity of the aluminum, it looks like he may have just used sanding rolls in the ports. which would mean he didnt remove much material, and simply smoothed out the casting bumps. however, looking at the port openings, they look somewhat out of shape and distorted, and like you said, he may have widened the crap out of them. if thats the case, and he went too far with them, they are junk, imo.
what people dont understsand about porting, is you cant just sand away in there until it "looks good" to you. what looks good may flow worse than stock. also, the ports are only part of it, most of the power is made in the valve job and bowl areas.

looks like he may have ruined a set of 243's that he could have sold for $400 or whatever. now nobody is going to want them.

Last edited by DIGGLER; 10-14-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:33 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 89 WS6 TransAm
Engine: LQ408
Transmission: T56 Magnum
Axle/Gears: Strange S60, 4.10s

Originally Posted by DIGGLER
only the one pic works for me.... the one where its sitting on the table with intake ports showing. judging by the porosity of the aluminum, it looks like he may have just used sanding rolls in the ports. which would mean he didnt remove much material, and simply smoothed out the casting bumps. however, looking at the port openings, they look somewhat out of shape and distorted, and like you said, he may have widened the crap out of them. if thats the case, and he went too far with them, they are junk, imo.
what people dont understsand about porting, is you cant just sand away in there until it "looks good" to you. what looks good may flow worse than stock. also, the ports are only part of it, most of the power is made in the valve job and bowl areas.

looks like he may have ruined a set of 243's that he could have sold for $400 or whatever. now nobody is going to want them.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:09 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: 1987 TransAm Ttop
Engine: 2005 LQ4
Transmission: Ls1 T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Sadly the above holds true.The only way i can see them being of use if the port openings are out of shape..hopefully not too far is if you are going to use a Fast intake and port match them.But judging from the one pic already..I can see not one port matches another in shape alone..not a good sign.

As for the other head..if its in better shape..or untouched..it will sell.Not for much compared to a pair..but Ive seen single 243 heads being sold on fleebay for $2-250.If you got them for free..id list them exactly as they are..take alot of pics showing what has been done and be open for someones offer.Someone will take them and try to hog it..maybe with a carb'ed setup.Then look for a stock set of 243 heads and have them port/polish by a shop with a warranty.Good luck with your build.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:52 PM

I pretty much figured. They blew me up over on ls1tech. I was hoping they were still ok but whats the worst that could happen? i got them for free lol. How often do you actually see single heads go for sale? and i know this is a newbie question but is there a difference between the left and right head? if so i wanna be able to get the correct one when i TRY to buy a second.

Thanks again
Old 10-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: 1987 TransAm Ttop
Engine: 2005 LQ4
Transmission: Ls1 T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Left/right...same.Yea I just saw the thread over on tech...gotta be prepared to deal with some of the ego's over there with quick responses.Single heads are sold time to time..there is one being sold on ebay right now so its not all that uncommon.Worst case..take the one bad head to a local machine shop and see what they say.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:00 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 TA, 91 B4C
Engine: 5.3, 4.8
Transmission: 4L80 4000, T56
Axle/Gears: 4.30 M12, 23.42 10 bolt

Those were butchered by the looks of it.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:12 AM
Supreme Member

Unverified porting without the very basic home built flow bench has crap shoot results. And even at that,the period of trial and error wasting cores to find out what works,then "trying" to duplicate by hand..............well ya know. Unlikely.