LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Full ls1 swap (drivetrain, interior, brakes, everything!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Full ls1 swap (drivetrain, interior, brakes, everything!)

I need help and advice on a bunch of different things. I have a 92 RS that was my first car that i bought in highschool. I have redone it but i am doing it again and not on a highschoolers budget. I bought a 98 Z28 and i want to strip it down and put everything on my car. I have the adapters on my 92 with c5 rims but i want to use the spindle and hub of of the ls1. I want to use the rack and pinion and everything. I plan on ordering a tubular k member but i dont know what for sure i would need i.e. 4th gen a-arms with a coil over kit or what. I am also doing the ls1 dash, center console, seats, fuel tank, fuel pump, just any and everything i can. So any know how or anyone who knows whether or not any of the brake and suspension work i want to do is even possible please let me know. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:16 PM

Car: 1987 camaro sc
Engine: lg4 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: Full ls1 swap (drivetrain, interior, brakes, everything!)

everything is possible except for using the ls1 spindles steering and front suspension
Old 06-25-2012, 06:31 PM

Car: 88 Iroc-z
Engine: ls1
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by fbodyman50
I need help and advice on a bunch of different things. I have a 92 RS that was my first car that i bought in highschool. I have redone it but i am doing it again and not on a highschoolers budget. I bought a 98 Z28 and i want to strip it down and put everything on my car. I have the adapters on my 92 with c5 rims but i want to use the spindle and hub of of the ls1. I want to use the rack and pinion and everything. I plan on ordering a tubular k member but i dont know what for sure i would need i.e. 4th gen a-arms with a coil over kit or what. I am also doing the ls1 dash, center console, seats, fuel tank, fuel pump, just any and everything i can. So any know how or anyone who knows whether or not any of the brake and suspension work i want to do is even possible please let me know. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!
Welcome to the club! And as said, almost everything besides the a arms, spindles will transfer.
What id do if i were you is get some aftermarket a arms and reuse your stock spindles and modify those to fit some c5 brakes as its much easier than trying to use ls1 brakes.
Dash, center counsel, seats, rear end, gas tank will all swap over without to much trouble. Door panels have been done but are.. more difficult to put in than the dash and counsel were. Most of the interior trim from the fourth gen will be harder if not impossible to adapt to your car.
If i missed something or you had another question, let us know!
Old 06-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: cammed LS1
Transmission: Monster SS 4L65E
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt posi w/ 3.70 gears

Adapters are available to put the LS1 brakes on a 3rd gen. Some spindle & hub mods are necessary though to do it.
http://www.bigbrakeupgrade.com/index.html
Old 07-31-2012, 09:00 PM

thanks guys. I just ordered the big brake upgrade kit. Im going to modify my factory spindles. Im still trying to figure out what headers to go with and a few other things. I think im just going to start by getting the interior done first with all the wiring ready so i can just throw the ls1 in pretty quickly and then just be done!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:23 PM

Car: 88 Iroc-z
Engine: ls1
Transmission: t56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by fbodyman50
thanks guys. I just ordered the big brake upgrade kit. Im going to modify my factory spindles. Im still trying to figure out what headers to go with and a few other things. I think im just going to start by getting the interior done first with all the wiring ready so i can just throw the ls1 in pretty quickly and then just be done!
What brake kit did you end up going with? And the only real choice for headers i believe is hawks. Other wise your going to have to have someone custom make you a set. And make sure you take a bunch of pictures for the interior! im very curious to see how it turns out
Old 07-31-2012, 09:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: cammed LS1
Transmission: Monster SS 4L65E
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt posi w/ 3.70 gears

There are nice mid-length headers out there that you could go with that some others have used on this site