LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

advice on overllow catch can and cats

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 6.0 lq9 ls bored to 408
Transmission: T56 6 speed
Axle/Gears: strange s60 4.10 with a spool
advice on overllow catch can and cats

so i went to the track tonight and didnt make it threw tech. luckily the changes are pretty easy. on the plus side my cage passed tech to 10 seconds and my nitrous set up is legal.

battery hold down. duh im an idiot for not even checking that.

drive shaft loop was highly advised. it was planned for this week anyway. i was just going to test it out a bit on street tires so it would have been ok on this night. et steet radials wont be here till tuesday.

overflow catch can. this one i thought was covered. i have the plastic reservour i guess that doesnt pass nhra tech. ill take some pictures in the morning. if someone could give me some advice on this i would greatly appriciate it. there is a picture of the engine bay in my pictures not to clear though so ill take a better picture in the mornign.

5 point harness i have a brand new one just have not installed it yet. this is only needed faster than 11.5 anyway and i dont intend to go that fast.

cats. not part of tech inspection but i need to try to sneek the car threw emissions. i bought two 3 inch in 3 inch out magnaflow high flow cats part number 94309. had no idea till i got them today they are for non obd2 cars. i have no smog gear air system or anything in the car. am i ok with these cats. i called magnaflow and the guy told me to buy some for the truck the motor came out of but they are not high flow. engine details are in my signature.

thanks so much for any advice and i hope to get some times once this all gets sorted out.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73
Re: advice on overllow catch can and cats

So you're running the factory overflow container? And they failed that? Is there a rule saying it has to be aluminum or something?

How did they fail you for not having a 5pt harness when you didnt even make a run yet to indicate you'd be going fast enough? Or is your car obviously built to run lower times and they knew what was coming? haha.

J.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:28 PM

yeah it has the stock overflow. im a bit confused still on this im gonna head up again on wed and get some clarification. worst case i think i can get a catch can for 40 bucks and hook it to a spot on the side of my filler neck that is blocked off it will look like he wants but be completely non functional. the little spot is hard to explan its a little spot for a hose but there is no hole its just machined.

on the 5 point harness it was just a recommendation since i have the cage in there. he says the first pass below 11.49 i wont be able to run again till its there so i might as well install it.

all this work and ill run 14s ha.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:27 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Originally Posted by mikebondi
yeah it has the stock overflow. im a bit confused still on this ...
Me, too. I'm running a stock overflow on both Camaros, and they didn't say boo to me. Maybe for 11.49 or quicker (although i doubt that, even - you aren't getting inspected for that).

You're sure they weren't talking about something wrong with the stock overflow, like it's leaking?
Old 05-22-2012, 12:08 AM

glad you responded since you go threw the same tech. I was thinking about that today when he looked at it he said oh you need a catch can and moved on to inspect the nitrous. So im not sure. I will pull some all data diagrams at school in the morning and make sure it's hooked up right. It doesn't leak anything and runs cool so im guessing its good. But then again this has been a lesson in surprises.

trying to get it all fixed to run it on Saturday on street tires to kind of get an idea if its a 14 second car or where it will run.

And he was not inspecting for faster than 11.49. Mainly just inspecting and and telling me what I needed to run it and what will be needed. Battery hold down and catch can were mandatory. Others were highly recommended. Driveshaft loop is mandatory if I put dot drag radials from what I understood.