LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

4th gen V6 fuel tank same as LS1???

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73
4th gen V6 fuel tank same as LS1???

I'm working on my LS1 swap. I bought a wrecked 01 SS as a donor car but regrettably junked it before removing the fuel tank, sender, etc

So i was at the junkyard today and i saw a V6 camaro with the tank almost completely out so i finished pulling it along with all the lines. The only difference (besides the fuel pump i'm guessing) that i noticed was the return line.

Besides the return line (and fuel pump?) are there any differences between an LS1 fuel tank and a V6. Might i be at an advantage if i use the corvette filter/regulator setup instead of an aftermarket adjustable regulator. Are there baffles in the V6 tank as well like i've read that the LS1s have?

...or have i made another fuel tank mistake??? Below is a pic of the tank i just pulled...

Name:  v6fueltank.jpg
Views: 3517
Size:  81.3 KB
Old 03-19-2011, 08:49 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Both V6 and V8 have the return line. The difference is the V8 has a check valve in the return at the pickup to regulate the pressure.

The V6 fuel level sender supposedly also has a different resistance range than V8, the V6 being the same as used in 3rd gens.

So, with a Vette filter, it should work. I'd replace the pump first, though.

This is for a LS1 swap, right?
Old 03-19-2011, 09:59 PM

Re: 4th gen V6 fuel tank same as LS1???

yea, ls1/t56 swap...

i've read that it take "little modification" to get a 4th gen tank into a third gen. Can anyone tell what mods i might be looking at? Do i need any more parts from a 4th gen donor car (besides the fuel lines, tank, sending, unit, etc.)?
Old 03-19-2011, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by iroc-v
yea, ls1/t56 swap...
Ah, good. Moved it to that forum.

i've read that it take "little modification" to get a 4th gen tank into a third gen. Can anyone tell what mods i might be looking at? Do i need any more parts from a 4th gen donor car (besides the fuel lines, tank, sending, unit, etc.)?
Fuel lines - the ones on my LS1 tank were cut, so I needed to mod anyway. I put quick connect fittings with AN on the other end, flared aluminum tubing bent over the side to route to the engine. Other have adapted the 4th gen plastic lines. Up to you which way you want to go, but something will have to change, either the tank lines, or the chassis lines.
Tank - no modifications to the tank directly, but you will have to modify the fill tube & mounting. Not too big a deal, just trim off some of the rubber part in the middle, mount the gas cap end to the body, etc.
Sending unit - Shouldn't have to modify anything, but like I already said, I'd put an LS1-type pump in first.
Wiring - the 4th gen connector is different than the 3rd gen part. Simple fix.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:08 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: '86 Z28
Engine: SDPC TPI 350
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi

Looking at the pic you posted the tank was partially dropped so the Vent Solenoid could be removed. It appears to be missing! Depending on what level of integration you plan to install the tank to that may not be an issue.

Mike
Old 03-20-2011, 12:57 PM

wow.... thanks for noticing! Should i go back to the junkyard and pick one up. I'm not interested in having any emissions or anything for the sake of simplicity. Is there a way i could delete the solenoid (delete out of the ecm or something)? I saw a thread on here where someone removed that whole little extra box (the evap canister i'm guessing)...
Old 03-20-2011, 09:07 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: '86 Z28
Engine: SDPC TPI 350
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi

wow.... thanks for noticing! Should i go back to the junkyard and pick one up. I'm not interested in having any emissions or anything for the sake of simplicity. Is there a way i could delete the solenoid (delete out of the ecm or something)? I saw a thread on here where someone removed that whole little extra box (the evap canister i'm guessing)...
I don't remember exactly how the plumbing to the tank interconnects. When I swapped in one to use with my TPI system I do remember that the Vent Solenoid is normally open default and it has a little filter element on it. I am using it for the filter element so that all incoming air to the tank is filtered when my ECM commands purge. Once again whether or not you use it depends on how you are going to adapt the tank to your car. When I swap in my LS engine hopefully later this year I hope to be able to have the emissions evap subsystem fully functional.

Mike

Last edited by mwfrels; 03-20-2011 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Remove the double signature...
Old 03-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: 6.2L
Transmission: T56

I ran a stock V6 pump with my LS1 for three seasons without a blip. 400 whp range

I wouldnt have had I "known" it was a V6 tank initially as I was told it was from a V8 car when I bought it. Caused me all sorts of fits when the fuel pressure wasnt regulated at first. Anyways I think the fuel pumps are the same accross the board in those years regardless of engine. Cant prove it just sort of the thing GM does often to keep things cheap and simple.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by mwfrels
I don't remember exactly how the plumbing to the tank interconnects. When I swapped in one to use with my TPI system I do remember that the Vent Solenoid is normally open default and it has a little filter element on it. I am using it for the filter element so that all incoming air to the tank is filtered when my ECM commands purge. Once again whether or not you use it depends on how you are going to adapt the tank to your car. When I swap in my LS engine hopefully later this year I hope to be able to have the emissions evap subsystem fully functional.

Mike
My plan would be to ultimately get rid of the entire evap system. If i wanted to do this would the car be drivable without the purge solenoid or canister or anything hooked up until i get it to a shop to delete it from the ecm? Ideally the only wires i would want going back to the tank would be for the fuel pump itself... and fuel level

I ran a stock V6 pump with my LS1 for three seasons without a blip. 400 whp range

I wouldnt have had I "known" it was a V6 tank initially as I was told it was from a V8 car when I bought it. Caused me all sorts of fits when the fuel pressure wasnt regulated at first. Anyways I think the fuel pumps are the same accross the board in those years regardless of engine. Cant prove it just sort of the thing GM does often to keep things cheap and simple.
Ah yes, it must have been your thread that i cam across when researching my issue.

The motor i'm putting in put down 412hp at the wheels (in the donor car) so i'll probably be swapping in a high flow unit while the tank is out and everything (and because i'll be saving a few buck by using the corvette filter/reg)

Thanks for all the help. It only gets more exciting the closer i get to getting this engine in!!!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by cam-
I think the fuel pumps are the same accross the board in those years regardless of engine.
That may be true, now that you mention it. I know the pickups are different, which is what they typically sell in the chain stores, but they may have the same pump inside.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:48 PM

Car: 89 firebird
Engine: 305

I am lookin into doin this swap in my car its a 89 and I wanna keep my tbi system is there anything that would b different?? Cause I am plannin on droopin a crat engine in sometime down the road also is there some kind of performance pump I can use to hopefully minimize the amount of cuttin and conectin wires???