LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

LT1 wiring and a couple other questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 355ci SBC
Transmission: TH700R4 - 2500 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt
LT1 wiring and a couple other questions

Ok, I talked to my engine builder today and discussed a couple options on making some horsepower with my LT1. He recommended a GM847 cam, I think it's a Crane cam but is supposed to make great horsepower with a nasty idle but yet driveable with the A/C on. Another option is just going back stock for now and focus on getting the rest of the car finished. Opinions?

And on the wiring, well, I think I got the LT1 harness finished. I did like pocket said and de-pinned every connector and removed the wires I will not need and retained the one's I do. Now today after work I'm going by Pull a Part and snatching the clear C100 connector out of another third gen. I just realized my stock one was in my tool box which was robbed from my house two weeks ago. yeah, over two grand in tools are gone on top of everything else that has happened. Not slowing me down though. Anyway, does anyone have the pinout diagram for a 91 TPI 305 Trans Am on the C-100 and the bulkhead connector under the brake booster so I can start mating the LT1 harness to the third gen plugs? I'd like to get this finished before the motor goes back in.

As far as harness length, I used the stock TPI harness as a template since it ran in the same locations this one will be going. Wish me luck! Hopefully I'll be able to pick the car up around the end of this month and really get to work on it.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 145 Likes on 79 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am
Engine: LSA
Transmission: T56 AWD
Axle/Gears: 8.8 4.10
Re: LT1 wiring and a couple other questions

http://www.fbodyrescue.com/forum/vie....php?f=34&t=78

The bulkhead near the booster is the C100. It's big, black and has wierd arms sticking out that snag on everything

Clear connector near the ECM is the C207

For future reference if you ever do an 87 or older 3rd gen, another gray connector near the C207 is required for the injectors and fan fuse. This is the C221
Old 07-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 camaro
Engine: LT1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3:73

Originally Posted by utfan01ss
Ok, I talked to my engine builder today and discussed a couple options on making some horsepower with my LT1. He recommended a GM847 cam, I think it's a Crane cam but is supposed to make great horsepower with a nasty idle but yet driveable with the A/C on. Another option is just going back stock for now and focus on getting the rest of the car finished. Opinions?
The 847 is a big cam are you going to have ported heads?
Running the stock bottom end?
Old 07-07-2010, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pocket

The bulkhead near the booster is the C100. It's big, black and has wierd arms sticking out that snag on everything

Clear connector near the ECM is the C207

For future reference if you ever do an 87 or older 3rd gen, another gray connector near the C207 is required for the injectors and fan fuse. This is the C221

Thanks man, I keep getting those two confused! Hopefully tonight I'll have the C207 connector finished. Was able to get one at pull a part but naturally all the C100 harnesses were chopped up by dumb rednecks so I'll have to wait to do it until I get the car back up here.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by chevyowner02
The 847 is a big cam are you going to have ported heads?
Running the stock bottom end?

Well the plan is to bore it out 30 and go with some good flat top pistons, stock crank, rods, etc... We are installing ARP rod bolts cause I plan to spin this thing like an LS1. As far as the heads, well, there is a company in Knoxville that does Porting and CNC work. Got to check with them on getting the heads worked, if not then I may just keep the stockers and install some good springs, retainers, etc... I can't go too crazy though because my budget is extremely tight. That is a big cam though, what would be some other options as far as a cam that would work good with a mild LT1? The goal is 350hp+ to the wheels.... The car is an M6.... Open for suggestions as the motor is getting machined right now so I need to make a selection soon.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70 posi

847 is a huge cam to put in a stock head car, might want to look at Lloyd for some heads for the thing, and his cams as well.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:28 PM

Got some more issues.... Wow, keep getting stuck..

I have a ton of wires that don't add up when compared with the stock third gen harness. They are listed below, pocket, could you shoot me in the right direction. Sorry for asking so many questions!

C-230 / G-Pink / Power feed from PCM ignition fuse #5 - Does this go to the C207 connector on my car and does it matter which pin, B which is INJ 12 fuse or G which is INJ 2 fuse? Or would this connect to G5 which is the power distr. block, interior fuseblock?

C230 / F-Dark Green/White / A/C request signal - Can I remove this wire altogether? I am going to run A/C but the car itself doesn't use the computer to control it correct?

C-230 / E-Blue / Theft Deterrent fuel enable feed - Can I remove this as well? Don't see anything to hook it to.

C-230 / H-Brown / Power from turn/back-up fuse #2 to backup switch. Don't have a clue where to stick this one.

C-220 / J-Green/White / Fuel pump relay control - Does this wire hook to C100 pin G4 which is the grey fuel pump wire?

C-220 / A-Red / Generator feed to instrument cluster - Don't see a wire anywhere for the Altenator gage, I know it has to have one. Am I missing something?

C-220 / C-Brown / Oil Level feed to instrument cluster - Can I delete this wire? Don't think my 91 has a low oil light.

C-230 / B-Brown/White / SES indicator feed - Is this the C207 Pin H wire for the ALDL?

C-210 / A,B,C / Purple wire, Black with white stripe and grey - What is this?

C-100 / C-Dark Green / A/C compressor clutch solenoid feed - Can I delete this too or do I need it for the A/C to work, if so where does it go?

C-105 / E-Tan / Serial data signal - Do I need this?

C-105 / A-Orange/Black / Traction control spark retard - Don't have traction control so can this be removed?

C-105 / C-Tan/Black / Traction control throttle position - Same as above? Remove?

C-105 / B-Pink / Power feed from injector fuse #9 - Can this be stuck on C-207 on Pin B or G?

C-100 / B-Green/White / A/C compressor relay control - Delete?

C-100 / A-Pink / Power feed from injector #9 - Don't have a clue!

C-100 / H-Dark Blue / Coolant fan relay control - Isn't my coolant fan relay allready wired on the C100? So I won't need this correct?

C-100 / D-Orange / Power feed from PCM fuse #8 to PCM - Not sure where this one goes.

That's it, once I figure these out I'll be set. Sorry for asking so many questions. I'm learning alot on here, thanks for the help!
Old 07-07-2010, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Klortho
847 is a huge cam to put in a stock head car, might want to look at Lloyd for some heads for the thing, and his cams as well.

Yeah it is, gues the LT1's aren't like the LS motors in the sense of installing a big cam will net big gains. I had a MS3 in my 01 Camaro and that thing would fly! I'll call Comp Cams and see what they recommend. Thanks man!
Old 07-07-2010, 06:43 PM

Here is what I'm working with, got everything labeled by pin number, connector number and location. Still confused though, I think once I figure out what I need to get rid of things will go smoother. I bet I left too many wires that I don't need in the harness.
Attached Thumbnails LT1 wiring and a couple other questions-sdc13584.jpg  
Old 07-07-2010, 09:16 PM

Well I decided to go ahead and pull the A/C wires out, if I need them I'll figure that out later since the whole A/C system will be a PITA to get it all working. Still stumped on these other wires though....
Old 07-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Thats quite a list, lets see what I can help with

Got some more issues.... Wow, keep getting stuck..

I have a ton of wires that don't add up when compared with the stock third gen harness. They are listed below, pocket, could you shoot me in the right direction. Sorry for asking so many questions!

C-230 / G-Pink / Power feed from PCM ignition fuse #5 - Does this go to the C207 connector on my car and does it matter which pin, B which is INJ 12 fuse or G which is INJ 2 fuse? Or would this connect to G5 which is the power distr. block, interior fuseblock?
C207 pin F. I also tie the MAF IGN wire to the PCM fuse

C230 / F-Dark Green/White / A/C request signal - Can I remove this wire altogether? I am going to run A/C but the car itself doesn't use the computer to control it correct?
Hook it to the HVAC green wire from the connector salvaged from the TPI harness. Dont delete it

C-230 / E-Blue / Theft Deterrent fuel enable feed - Can I remove this as well? Don't see anything to hook it to.
This went to the 4th gen VATS module. With VATS disabled in the PCM you can remove this wire

C-230 / H-Brown / Power from turn/back-up fuse #2 to backup switch. Don't have a clue where to stick this one.
Delete, your shifter already has this wire in place fed by the stock fuseblock

C-220 / J-Green/White / Fuel pump relay control - Does this wire hook to C100 pin G4 which is the grey fuel pump wire?
Hook this to the same color wire you your fuel relay. The 4th gen was connected to the fuseblock relay through this. Since you dont have the 4th gen fuseblock youll need to adapt the 3rd gen relay

C-220 / A-Red / Generator feed to instrument cluster - Don't see a wire anywhere for the Altenator gage, I know it has to have one. Am I missing something?
4th gen used a dummy light to knock the 12v signal down, you need to improvise since you have an actual gauge. Find the fan relay fuse wire (BRN) and tee into it. Use a 470ohm resistor between the fan fuse wire and the alt. Some LT1 alts use two wire units. Be sure the resistor goes to pin L, pin F gets 12v from the fan fuse. If you mix the two up, the alt will burn out quickly. Single wire alts use the resistor to pin L

C-220 / C-Brown / Oil Level feed to instrument cluster - Can I delete this wire? Don't think my 91 has a low oil light.
Delete

C-230 / B-Brown/White / SES indicator feed - Is this the C207 Pin H wire for the ALDL?
C207 pin C

C-210 / A,B,C / Purple wire, Black with white stripe and grey - What is this?
A, starter enable relay stuff, delete
B, ground for fuel relay. Your 3rd gen relay will need to be grounded on its own, so this wire serves no purpose
C, PCM batt 12v constant fuse. The 3rd gen fuel pump relay 12v leg should be connected to a small fuse holder with a 20A fuse in it. It's connected to an orange common with 3 legs coming off it. One of these legs attaches to this, the rest can be deleted

C-100 / C-Dark Green / A/C compressor clutch solenoid feed - Can I delete this too or do I need it for the A/C to work, if so where does it go?
Hook the AC clutch relay output to this wire
http://www.lt1swap.com/pictures/100_1777.jpg

C-105 / E-Tan / Serial data signal - Do I need this?
C207 pin H

C-105 / A-Orange/Black / Traction control spark retard - Don't have traction control so can this be removed?
Delete

C-105 / C-Tan/Black / Traction control throttle position - Same as above? Remove?
Yes, delete. LS1 harness with TC had all 3 TPS wires going to the BCM, all of which got deleted

C-105 / B-Pink / Power feed from injector fuse #9 - Can this be stuck on C-207 on Pin B or G?
Use a meter to find out if it's bank 1 or bank 2. Assign to C207 B or G respectively. IIRC the 4th gen LT1s used a single INJ fuse, so you may hve to split the runner wire in the intake harness and run one anew

C-100 / B-Green/White / A/C compressor relay control - Delete?
See diagram above, same color wire on your 3rd gen relay

C-100 / A-Pink / Power feed from injector #9 - Don't have a clue!
Same as above, bank 1 to B, 2 to G

C-100 / H-Dark Blue / Coolant fan relay control - Isn't my coolant fan relay allready wired on the C100? So I won't need this correct?
You cut the ECM control section off the coolant fan relays. Now when you reconnect them you need to reassign the PCM location. 3rd gen dual fan wiring is pretty wierd, so Id suggest removing the secondary fan relay and rewiring it just like the primary fan. Therefor it only has the engage wire to worry about. One to PCM A10, other A11. Diagram in the additional info thread in the sticky

C-100 / D-Orange / Power feed from PCM fuse #8 to PCM - Not sure where this one goes.
Didnt we go over this one already? PCM batt fuse from the separate fuseholder off the fuel relay feed

That's it, once I figure these out I'll be set. Sorry for asking so many questions. I'm learning alot on here, thanks for the help!
Better to ask now then to learn the hard way down the road, especially with this many unknowns
Old 07-07-2010, 09:32 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

These should help tremendously

http://www.lt1swap.com/1994_f_body_w...ss_schemat.htm
http://shbox.com/1/schematics_wiring.html
http://www.austinthirdgen.org/index.php?pid=19
Old 07-08-2010, 08:12 AM

Wow! Man thanks alot! That makes me feel better knowing where this stuff goes. It should be a no brainer now and thanks for the links. I printed off all the schematics and information to make myself a reference book.