LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

questions about LQ4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 12:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 convertible built 3/1/1990
Engine: Cammed 6.0L LSX
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: custom Ford 8.8", 4.10 gears
questions about LQ4 swap

I'm picking up a complete LQ4 with wiring harness and computer on Sunday.

I know you guys have answered lots of questions concerning LQ4 swaps already, and I actually went and read a lot of stuff about GenIII swaps here on TGO. I just have a few questions conerning the usage of the parts on the LQ4 and whether or not they actually CANNOT be used or if its just hard to use them.

I read that you can't use truck intake manifolds on 3rd gens? Is this because it simply doesn't clear the hood? Or are there other reasons for this? Also, concerning the intake, what is the one that most people go with? Will the LS1 and LS6 intakes swap out interchangable since it is basically the same GenIII block?

The motor I'm buying has all the accesories on it except for the alternator, but I read that you need to use the LS1 fbody accesories or can sometimes get away with Corvette setups. Again, is this a fitment issue or what? I'm trying to spend the least amount of money on the swap but still make it functional.

The wiring harness...Can I use the LQ4's wiring harness and have it adapted to work with the 3rd gen crap, or do I need to go buy a configured wiring harness that is made for an LS1 swap? I guess what I'm getting at here is which is more cost efficient and time efficient. If I can use the LQ4's wiring harness, I would like to, as I know a few guys that can run wiring on cars pretty easily.

Basically what I need to know is if I have a complete block from intake to oil pan with all the accesories including a/c, what do I need to take off and replace with LS1 parts to make the swap work? I know I will need an fbody oil pan. I appreciate your patience with my questions, and I have been, and will continue to read more in the tech articles, it's just a lot to read in one sitting. Thanks!
Old 02-14-2009, 01:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LSX (swapping)
Transmission: 4L60E (swapping)
Axle/Gears: 2.73 Posi 10 Bolt
Re: questions about LQ4 swap

Originally Posted by BlueZee28

I know you guys have answered lots of questions concerning LQ4 swaps already, and I actually went and read a lot of stuff about GenIII swaps here on TGO. I just have a few questions conerning the usage of the parts on the LQ4 and whether or not they actually CANNOT be used or if its just hard to use them.

I read that you can't use truck intake manifolds on 3rd gens? Is this because it simply doesn't clear the hood? Or are there other reasons for this? Also, concerning the intake, what is the one that most people go with? Will the LS1 and LS6 intakes swap out interchangable since it is basically the same GenIII block?

The motor I'm buying has all the accesories on it except for the alternator, but I read that you need to use the LS1 fbody accesories or can sometimes get away with Corvette setups. Again, is this a fitment issue or what? I'm trying to spend the least amount of money on the swap but still make it functional.

The wiring harness...Can I use the LQ4's wiring harness and have it adapted to work with the 3rd gen crap, or do I need to go buy a configured wiring harness that is made for an LS1 swap? I guess what I'm getting at here is which is more cost efficient and time efficient. If I can use the LQ4's wiring harness, I would like to, as I know a few guys that can run wiring on cars pretty easily.

Basically what I need to know is if I have a complete block from intake to oil pan with all the accesories including a/c, what do I need to take off and replace with LS1 parts to make the swap work? I know I will need an fbody oil pan. I appreciate your patience with my questions, and I have been, and will continue to read more in the tech articles, it's just a lot to read in one sitting. Thanks!

Oil pan of course, fbody accessories, I don't think the corvette accessories will fit. The truck manifolds wont fit under the hood thats all, an after market hood can cure that. You can use the wiring harness, but you have to adapt it to work with the 3rd gen chassis harness. check www.team3rdgen.com for more detailed swap info. They have a good part about wiring basics too.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro Iroc-Z
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi

Also, I think it was SheldonZ28 who had problems running the truck exhaust manifolds. The collector flange hitting the frame rail thing. I'll see if I can find that post.

EDIT:
Here's a post about various stock LSx exhaust manifolds and their fitment in 3rd gens.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:42 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC/05 RX8
Engine: LS1/LS1
Transmission: T56/T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 GM/3.55 8.8

Hey,

Gonna answer your questions best i can here, picked up a LQ4 on tuesday, and ive been fitting it with parts to install into an F-body

The LQ4 intake CAN be used in a thirdgen, the reason it is not commonly used is because it doesnt clear the stock hood, it sticks about 2" through the hood at the front of the motor. Beyond that, its simply ugly. The intake most used would likely be the LS6 intake. LS6 intake flows better then the LS1 and doesnt have an EGR Port (Though the EGR port can be plugged)

The corvette system may be used and it will clear everything, however the f-body setup is more readily avaliable and fits best. The f-body parts simply bolt on in place of the truck parts, with the exception that you must drill/tap one hole on the front of the block. There is provisions for the hole, but it isnt drilled. This hole is the 2nd bolt for the alternator.

The harness here, its up to you. I have a truck harness in my car. I wired it the first time with the truck harness's original shape. I re-wired my injector plugs to EV1 plugs, and i lengthened my alternator plug to reach to the bottom of the motor. Otherwise the harness fits on. If you'd like a bunch more info on how i completely re-did my harness then i could do a write up on it I had a friend help me put a fuse-body and C100 connector on, then i ran it that way last year, became fed up with the ugly shaping of the harness and re-did it to fit the same way an f-body harness does, so it could tuck more. I have DBW in my car, and simply put, i love it.

Block to oil pan, here's what you need to replace:

Oil pan/Windage/Pickup - The truck pan hangs far too low (over 2" below the K)
Accessories - The alternator sits high and doesnt clear the hood, and if you put a LS1/2/6 intake on the car, then the throttle body hits the waterpump neck. F-body or Y-body accessories can be used
Intake - Clearance issue, LS1/6 intake can be used, truck TB may be retained
Manifolds - Truck manifolds simply wont work, they hit the frame rails, i tried re-doin the collectors, nothing works, they shoot out too wide.
Fuel Rails/Injectors - LS1/6 fuel injectors/rail need to be used with the LS1 intake

Think thats all ive changed in mine. Check out my rehab thread, its got some pictures on everything in there.

Sheldon
Old 02-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60e

Nice to see you on the forum BlueZee Maybe one day I'll finish my swap and drive it up to MO like I told you I would...
Old 02-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Supreme Member

Sheldon, I think you're going to be my best friend for the next year. Looks like you're going to be able to help me out a LOT with this swap since we have the same block and all.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to read a write-up on how you used the truck wiring harness!

-------------------------

Jon! It's good to hear from you. I'm so excited to finally be able to start on a beefy swap like this. I got such a killer deal on the motor I couldn't pass it up, even with my wedding 3 months away. How is my old IROC-Z doing?
Old 02-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Supreme Member

Sheldon, I think you're going to be my best friend for the next year. Looks like you're going to be able to help me out a LOT with this swap since we have the same block and all.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to read a write-up on how you used the truck wiring harness!
hehe, sounds good! Always been a fan of your car!

Im going to dig through my wiring diagrams, and get some more pictures of everything i did. Ive got a diagram on pins you can delete, which wires go where, how to do fuse boxes, where to put relays etc. Ive got mine fully wired and functional with my C100 connector.

If your still chippin away at it in april, could cruise down to you to help out!
Old 02-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Supreme Member

You are a life saver my friend, you have the pin-out diagram that shows everything, like where all the weather pack connectors go? Oh man I've tried posting on fullsizechevy and all kinds of places looking for that diagram!

You do know how far away Ontario is from St Louis, MO right? If you want to come down here I definitly won't stop you! By all means, I need as much help as I can get. I haven't gathered any parts yet, just the block, wiring, and computer. I still need to buy the LS1 accesories and brackets, and the motor mounts, etc.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Supreme Member

You are a life saver my friend, you have the pin-out diagram that shows everything, like where all the weather pack connectors go? Oh man I've tried posting on fullsizechevy and all kinds of places looking for that diagram!

You do know how far away Ontario is from St Louis, MO right? If you want to come down here I definitly won't stop you! By all means, I need as much help as I can get. I haven't gathered any parts yet, just the block, wiring, and computer. I still need to buy the LS1 accesories and brackets, and the motor mounts, etc.
Ive got the full diagrams with all the highlites for wires to delete.

Yep I want to put some milage on my iroc before i become a poor college student hahaha.

Ill dig around to see what parts ive got. Cant remember if your gonna be running auto or not, i got a modified crossmember that you can have for shipping haha.

My mounts, i just welded up U straps that bolted over the clamshells, sat the motor in then tacked, removed motor and welded.

Ill try to scan my wiring diagrams, that or ill just copy them and mail it to 'ya
Old 02-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Supreme Member

What trans is that crossmember made for? I'm probably gonna go with a T56

I'll PM you my address and you can just copy it and mail it to me. I've found that scanned things tend to be harder to read, for me anyways
I'm so freaking ecstatic to get this thing started.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LSX (swapping)
Transmission: 4L60E (swapping)
Axle/Gears: 2.73 Posi 10 Bolt

I'll take you up on the crossmember deal if it's for an auto Sheldon :P
Old 02-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Shift06
I'll take you up on the crossmember deal if it's for an auto Sheldon :P
Yep, its an auto X member.

Bluezee, ill get info together and take a picture of it all before. Trying to think of all the different stuff i had. Will throw'r all in an envelope and mail away.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '89 Trans Am GTA
Engine: WAS 350 - now L92 (alum. 378/6.2L)
Transmission: WAS 700R4, now a built T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt

Wouldn't hurt to throw them up here too...

Old 02-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by SheldonZ28
Yep, its an auto X member.

Bluezee, ill get info together and take a picture of it all before. Trying to think of all the different stuff i had. Will throw'r all in an envelope and mail away.
That's awesome bro, you're awesome. I'm seriously thinking about not running a/c just to make my life a little easier... And it would look cleaner under the hood. Plus I bought LS1 coolant and windshield washer fluid reservoirs which will clean it up even more!
Old 02-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Supreme Member

That's awesome bro, you're awesome. I'm seriously thinking about not running a/c just to make my life a little easier... And it would look cleaner under the hood. Plus I bought LS1 coolant and windshield washer fluid reservoirs which will clean it up even more!
It definately looks cleaner. IMO, i went w/ out because i loved my a/c delete box look, didnt want to notch the K, didnt want to have the extra pulley, wanted full air flow to my rad, and didnt really feel a need.

Coolant and washer fluid reservoirs are rediculously clean. Im gonna do both, ill post up some pictures when i do. Gonna weld around where i cut for the coolant reservoir to build up the strength again.

I was gonna run a LS1 rad, but since hte iron requires a little heavier cooling, ill run a LT1 rad w/ LS1 fans. Ran a thirdgen rad last year, but the upper rad hose positioning made my intake run to the passenger side, near the battery etc. Wanted it on the drivers side so i could have it suck in cooler air from behind the headlight. Figure since hte LT1's rad has its upper rad hose outlet almost in the middle of the rad, ill be able to run a elbow overtop of it.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:58 PM
Supreme Member

Ya I was going to do the two reservoirs this weekend but since I found this block I'm probably goimg to wait to take the motor out and do it.

I was thinking about trying to use the stock Camaro dual snorkle intake with the new block, is that not possible? Then couldn't I use the stock radiator, or is that not heavy duty enough?
Old 02-14-2009, 11:07 PM
Supreme Member

Ya I was going to do the two reservoirs this weekend but since I found this block I'm probably goimg to wait to take the motor out and do it.

I was thinking about trying to use the stock Camaro dual snorkle intake with the new block, is that not possible? Then couldn't I use the stock radiator, or is that not heavy duty enough?
Ive read that the stock dual snorkle wont flow enough, saw a video of it collapsing with a 6.0L motor.

I used a AEM cone filter from Autozone, then stuffed my 85mm Maf into it, used a 3.5" to 4" rubber reducer, a 4" 90* sewer elbow, and then a flat rubber 4" pipe joint (Stock TB is about 3.75" so it will squeeze in a bit, but sealed perfect).

Fugly as anything, but function over form I painted it down the road so it'd look nicer haha.

Here's a shot of it:

Name:  IMG_2164.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  127.1 KB

after paint:

Name:  IMG_2820.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  108.0 KB
Old 02-15-2009, 12:13 AM
Supreme Member

That's just like most of the LSX swaps I've seen, a simple cone filter and an elbow. I wonder what other options there are...hmmm. I'd like to get something that looks at least semi-factory, I wonder if you can do the ram air intake with an SS hood (I really want that hood anyways! haha)
Old 02-15-2009, 12:17 AM
Supreme Member

That's just like most of the LSX swaps I've seen, a simple cone filter and an elbow. I wonder what other options there are...hmmm. I'd like to get something that looks at least semi-factory, I wonder if you can do the ram air intake with an SS hood (I really want that hood anyways! haha)
Would think you could, that would be sweet!!

shroom got a functional ram air on his WS6 hood

www.ms-fbodies.com
Old 02-15-2009, 12:47 AM
Supreme Member

Wow that looks killer.