LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

K-memeber for LS1 swap.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K-memeber for LS1 swap.

After a lot of searching and reading and calling tech at different places I am more than confused on what to do now.......

For ref, I am trying to put a 02 Trans Am LS1/4l60E/LS1 10-bolt in a 82 Trans Am and its will be a daily driver

Here are my options,

Spohn LSX swap K-memeber without the stock K-member braces
1. Very tight fitment of the F-body LS1 alternator
2. Very tight fitment of F-body LS1 A/C, block and lines
Spohn doesnt even gaurentee that these will clear. Their responce was to use the 3rd gen Alt and A/C comprossor and built ur own brackets
3. This is something new -
Me "Does the Spohn LS1 swap K-memeber clear the stock 82 center steering arm when the car is lifter up or jacked up ? "
Spohn " Yes. The outer tie rod can rub when at full droop if you have Moog tie rod ends that are much larger around than the stock ones"

Not sure if any of the seniors ran into such an issue and if its somewhat acceptable ?

BMR K-member with no K-memeber braces
1. The Good thing here is it solves all 3 issues above

2. The bad
a. Stock A-arms wont fit, So additional $600 to get the BMR tubular A-arms
b. To use Stock springs , have to buy upper spring perch - + $90 extra
3. Not sure what BMR transmission K-memeber to use - they only have a 700R4 listed on their website
Might have to ditch this wish
4. Only available Torq Arm is the BMR trak pak - which wont allow me to run true duals without ground clearence issues.

Use Stock 3rd gen K-member with aftermarket LS1 engine mount shoes and trans X-memeber (Both Spohn maybe) and stock LS1 torq arm.

Just So I know I am understand it, the only clearence issue with using the Stock 3rd gen K-member is the LS1 AC comprossor clearence and thats what the notch mod will solve. Right ?
Anybody know of any clearence issues with using the LS1 alt and a 3rd stock K-member on the driver side ?

Since I dont have an option of notching the stock K-member can this bracket solve that issue ? I have confirmed that I will have to buy a new Saden comprossor in the future.

The senior memebers five7kid and Jaysz28 were discussing it.

I dont like the clearence issues with Spohn for the money I am spending. But Spending an additional $1400-$1600 on BMR just so I can use a K-memeber is not justifiable. IF I had that kind of money, I would spend the $2000 on the racekraft K-memeber and get to use the Power rack and pinion. (I talked to the owner there and he has a solution for the turning radius but very expensive)

Guys Help me make up my mind on what to do,

five7kid,

What is your exact setup ?
Old 11-21-2008, 02:28 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Originally Posted by screeminchicken
five7kid,

What is your exact setup ?
Disassembled. . .

I've got the Spohn swap mount pads to bolt onto the stock k-member, and just received the AC compressor relocation bracket kit. What I don't know yet is whether the factory compressor will work with the bracket kit. I hope to have that established by this weekend.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: K-memeber for LS1 swap.

You are putting this in a 82 right.....with this new bracket are you still going to use the stock K-memeber braces on both sides right?

Does Skulte have a 4L60E version of the T56 swap mount ? or does anybody else have a similar design ?

I am too far into it to get a T56 now!

Do u have a dedicated thread for your swap ?