LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Boosting a LS1. Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Tru-Track posi/Moser axles/4.10
Boosting a LS1. Questions

As some of you know, I have a 1991 Camaro RS with a LS1/T56 swapped in. For those of you that dont know, this is the car

And this is the motor

Anyways, I have a few ideas running through my mind.

1. Put the Camaro project on hold, buy an Audi TT and use it as a winter car

2. Put the Camaro project on hold, buy a right hand drive Mazda RX7 FD and play with that a bit

3. Boost the Camaro and buy a cheap winter car

My question is what do people think I should do? I know that this is a Camaro board so I will assume most people will bash import vehicles and tell me to boost the Camaro.

Now, if I choose to boost the Camaro, what direction do I go? My best friend who doubles as my mechanic suggests I should go supercharged since a muscle car deserves a good supercharger. Would this be my best bet? Should I go turbo? Procharged?

Does anyone make a kit that is easily adaptable to the third gen LS1 platform? I would prefer to not go with a rear mount turbo. I sort of think the idea is stupid. No offense to anyone here who has it...

What sort of costs am I looking at? Can it be done with the stock flat RS hood? I want to keep appearance of the car as stock as possible...

Could I do something like this?

What am I looking at in this picture?

Thanks a lot for the info in advance. I know I asked a lot of questions here and it might be a bit confusing. I appreciate your answers
Old 04-09-2008, 01:52 AM
On Probation

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: LsX
Transmission: MN12 6speed
Axle/Gears: 3:42
Re: Boosting a LS1. Questions

i agree on that rear mount turbo set up i wasnt diggin it by the looks of it .. looks like a whole lot of turbo lag.. .. i think hawks has a 91 formula with a magna charger set up .. top mount sc like the one u demonstrating.. it looks great and sounds great!! im not sure if your the type of guy who would go with a little nitrous set up. nitrous can be fun and cheap.. .. but for both turbo and sc set up ur lookin at a couple of g's and a whole lot of tuning. . anyways me and my brother are workin on his lsx swap on 83 z .... just wondering if u have any basic schematics on the wiring .. pm me if possible idk where to start
Old 04-09-2008, 02:03 AM

Thanks for the responses. Im not going to go with the nitrous setup because where I live I am not allowed to run that on the street. I would mainly like this power for the street since thats where the car is driven.

The wiring I just ordered a wiring harness from Speartech... If you want to shell out some cash talk to them. They do an excellent job
Old 04-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Ace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 92 quasar gta
Engine: Nothing
Transmission: Nothing
Axle/Gears: 4.11s

The pic is a kit sold by lmespeed (late model speed) or something like that. It is the basic magna with spacers for the k-member and templates to cut the back cowl. I was looking at one for my 4th gen.

If you run one on our cars you will need a cowl, spacin the K member is not an option with our suspension. John from speartech was running the truck one and he had like a monster cowl on his and you can see it on his site.

I think a procharger would fit pretty easy but there would be alot of moddin to get the intercoolers right.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
Car: 1988 camaro "SS"/ 1991 305/T5
Engine: 383 LT1 in progress/LT1TBI 355 soon
Transmission: Probuilt 700R4 3600 stall/ T5
Axle/Gears: Moser axles, 3.42 Eaton Posi

I say screw the Audi and the RX7 and get a Suzuki Swift GT. It looks like a Metro with alot more power. But that's just me. Ultimate sleeper.lol
Old 04-09-2008, 11:40 AM

Not exactly my style with the Swift... Im either going to blow a bunch of money on a car I will enjoy (ie the TT or the RX7) or I will throw some more at the Camaro... The Swift wouldnt make me feel very good even though it would be quick. Either way I dont think I will be buying another domestic anytime soon
Old 04-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '89 Trans Am GTA
Engine: WAS 350 - now L92 (alum. 378/6.2L)
Transmission: WAS 700R4, now a built T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt

Originally Posted by robertfrank
I say screw the Audi and the RX7 and get a Suzuki Swift GT. It looks like a Metro with alot more power. But that's just me. Ultimate sleeper.lol
I dunno man, I suspect that you just enjoy being able to say that you've got the quickest vehicle in the "pride parade"...
Old 04-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: 6.2L

Contact exotic performance plus and get a procharger system and you'll be all ***** and giggles for a while. A friend of mine boosted his bone stock Z06 with a DISC procharger set up and put down 700+ rwhp. He just bought the compressor and made his own brackets and intake piping. All that was needed to support was bigger injectors, HUGE fuel pump and line, and a good tune. I think he did the whole thing at around 3K

From what I've read for a full bolt on set up tuned your looking around 6k-8k
Old 04-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73

kubis...ever watch the vid on hawks website of the magnacharged firebird??? Pretty much made up my mind to go FI some day. haha.

Ide like to get a kenny bell. They have an LS1 set up for like 6500... I think for the 2.8L?? We have an advantage over the LS1 f-body guys because we dont need to worry about our motors being half under the cowl.

I still lover your car...and it would be friggin bad with a blower of some type on it. Cams suggestion for the procharger is a good one. Ive seen guys piece those set ups together for about what he said (3k or alittle less even). If I wasnt so addicted to that blower howl, Ide probably go procharger.

J.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
kubis...ever watch the vid on hawks website of the magnacharged firebird??? Pretty much made up my mind to go FI some day. haha.

Ide like to get a kenny bell. They have an LS1 set up for like 6500... I think for the 2.8L?? We have an advantage over the LS1 f-body guys because we dont need to worry about our motors being half under the cowl.

I still lover your car...and it would be friggin bad with a blower of some type on it. Cams suggestion for the procharger is a good one. Ive seen guys piece those set ups together for about what he said (3k or alittle less even). If I wasnt so addicted to that blower howl, Ide probably go procharger.

J.
Im still sort of thinking big turbo... I contacted Stenod Performance about it...
Old 04-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Hehe...that works too man!

Turbos sort of intimidate me. Lots of piping and what not...and I guess I just cant wrap my head around them as well as superchargers.

Cant wait to hear what you come up with if you do end up going FI! I still want to see that car in person...still wish I could ahve made it up for the build.

J.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:12 AM

I might be passing through Pennsylvania in the beginning of May... FI wont be done by then though... Im thinking end of summer or during the winter I would do that
Old 04-11-2008, 01:49 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
Car: 1988 camaro "SS"/ 1991 305/T5
Engine: 383 LT1 in progress/LT1TBI 355 soon
Transmission: Probuilt 700R4 3600 stall/ T5
Axle/Gears: Moser axles, 3.42 Eaton Posi

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
I dunno man, I suspect that you just enjoy being able to say that you've got the quickest vehicle in the "pride parade"...
With gas getting over 4 dollars a gallon I could give a fat crap if I looked gay in a car that gets 41 miles to the gallon. And sorry, I think you already took my spot in the parade. You can ride on the first rainbow colored float with the drag queens. It's yours I insist,lol

Last edited by robertfrank; 04-11-2008 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Yeah...gas prices are going to suck this summer. I love the funny looks I get when I tell people I cant wait to stop driving my Jeep and start driving my TA for better MPG. haha. And the people that know my car give me even funnier looks. I LOVE cruising down the highway in 6th and pulling crazy MPG. But I guess my 6500rpm blasts probably equal it all out in the end. haha.

Im going to try to do as much side work this summer as possible so that I can try to save money...and buy gas. One good side job will fill the TA up for a month. Thats the plan anyway...

Kubis... When you roll through PA, let me know when/where. My car will most likely be down by the time you are rolling through... But if you are gonna be anywhere near me Ide like to see yours in person!

J.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:39 AM

Yeah for sure I'll let you know. I'll probably be driving from DC and hitting up Reading PA so however Google Maps tells me to go, I'll be there