LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

lt1 swap car, ignition problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 12:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '92 RS
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.11
lt1 swap car, ignition problems

hey guys, i've had my lt1 up and running in my '92 for over 2 years now, and i just had an extremely weird problem crawl out of no where.

i'm experiencing extremely irratic spark on all cylinders (checked w/ a timing light), it seems consistent at idle, but as soon as any throttle at all is applied, the timing light will show that my engine misses cylinders for 2 or 3 rotations at a time, then it will fire again, then go away. some cylinders (specifically passenger side ones) will sometimes lose all spark when under throttle.

also after just a short period of time driving, it will go completely dead, no spark to any cylinder. but only if i drive it, it has idled in my driveway for near 30 min.

i have a delteq 4 coil ignition system. i have changed the plug wires, cleaned spark plugs, replaced ignition control module, slapped on my spare opti (both of which have the rotor removed), threw in my spare pcm and tuned it. i've checked every inch of every harness relating to the engine, no breaks, loose grounds, corroded ends, nothing...

the only thing left i can think of that might be causing this problem is the "opti box" part of the delteq system. the part that interprets the opti's signal, sends it to the pcm, then interprets the pcm's signal into one that will fire the northstar coilpacks. i'm unable to replace that because delteq i've heard is out of business. i don't exactly have the money for an ltcc kit right now, so i was wondering if you guys had any other leads that i could check? or other possibilities. any and all help/ideas are very much appreciated i can assure you.

lastly if any of you happen to have a spare "opti box" that's in garaunteed working order i may be interested in purchasing it from you. thx ahead of time guys.