LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Disappointingly slow progress

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 10:00 AM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Disappointingly slow progress

I haven't turned a bolt yet. Biggest factor was having my son's Lumina in the garage space for months with broken timing chain and bent valves. That's clear now, but other family events have prevented much progress. Having my left knee flare up again doesn't help any.

Things that have happened:

Along with the LS1/T56/harness/PCM, have received LS6 intake, LS1 tank, rear sway bar (Berlinetta didn't have any rear bar). On the way are UMI SFC's & Wonder Bar, LS7 clutch kit (sdparts.com - low shipping charge and quick shipment were pleasant surprises). Back ordered are front engine mounts, expected arrival 1/11. Still needed are tranny crossmember and rear end work (posi, gears, axles, links). I haven't yet begun to try to understand the wiring or clutch hydraulic mod.

One small bit of "good" news was while digging around in the garage attic for things to list on eBay, I realized I did keep the V6 front springs. They were new sometime before I got Camaro #1 in 1999 (it had been non-op for 4 years), and from what I hear, they are a better choice for the lighter LS1 engine than 3rd gen V8 springs. They look like new.

Last night, as I lay awake thinking about what's ahead of me, I got to wondering about AC delete - would simplify some install issues, reduce weight, etc. But, would detract from the original "full creature comfort" goal of the project.

There isn't a "need" for the car transportation-wise, but I would like to have it ready for the coming race season. They have a stick shift class that I would like to participate in, first race in that series is May 24th.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: 6.2L
Transmission: T56
Re: Disappointingly slow progress

Man I feel for ya. If it makes you feel any better I've been there my swap took just over two years. Between travel with work and just keeping everything else on a day to day rolling I had a hella time knuckling down on it. Then to compound my troubles I got caught in the "might was well do this while I'm at it" mode for over a year alone that had nothing directly to do with the LS1 swap just things that were going to make my ride bitchin'er. As I've said before its one thing to just drop in an engine and trans and get it running. Its completely another to make a cherry pie factory fit and function swap. On the bright side the longer you go without the car the more satisfying it is when you finally put the rubber to the road. The first time i went WOT was truly memorable... All these parts and all this fab work being put to the test and VROOM all was golden. That was a damn happy day.

Now I'm takin my time and putting together a new engine that should be the ultimate drive and go combo. I'm hoping for 10's NA and still get 25 hwy mpg. Three year plan on this one so it'll likely take 5 LOL
Old 01-04-2008, 12:30 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, a bit of "help" maybe. I haven't done the swap, but have researched doing it extensively in anticipation of finding a parts car.

I do have a recommendation for the crossmember however, and that is the Skulte piece, here is the link for that: Skulte Crossmember They are for longtube headers, but those are the only headers available ATM.

My friend is actually buying the exact same motor mounts, so hopefully he takes notes and posts back on everything or better yet creates a thread detailing the build.

Also, if you are debating about AC delete, I have never had AC in my car (never worked) and deleted it and have never looked back, plus you'll drop a good amount of weight. If you are looking fro a NOS from a camaro, good luck. I have heard S10 boxes work as well, but I am going to go with a composite repop, found here.

Hope that helped, although I'm sure you have researched this a lot as well.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by fenton06
I do have a recommendation for the crossmember however, and that is the Skulte piece, here is the link for that: Skulte Crossmember They are for longtube headers, but those are the only headers available ATM.
Actually, that's what I've ordered since I first posted.

My friend is actually buying the exact same motor mounts, so hopefully he takes notes and posts back on everything or better yet creates a thread detailing the build.
The Trans-Dapt mounts?

Also, if you are debating about AC delete, I have never had AC in my car (never worked) and deleted it and have never looked back, plus you'll drop a good amount of weight. If you are looking fro a NOS from a camaro, good luck. I have heard S10 boxes work as well, but I am going to go with a composite repop, found here.
I'll have to think about that some more. The increased working room and decreased weight and complexity are compelling. The AC doesn't work now, but I've only had the car since October. I know Berlinetta #1 sure gets hot during the summer (black interior, dark green exterior). I drove it for 2 years without AC, finally wimped out and got it going.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 88 V6 'bird/89TBI bird/85 T/A
Engine: 2.8/TBI/TPI
Transmission: V8 T-5/700R4 x2
Axle/Gears: 3.42 open/2.73 open/ 3.27 9 bolt

Originally Posted by five7kid
I drove it for 2 years without AC, finally wimped out and got it going.
I'm on that boat as well...

When I was younger, power steering and A/C were the first things to go and every other option after that. Now, I MUST have A/C and cruise control at a minimum. I'm just not as tough as I was in my younger days, I guess...
Old 01-04-2008, 11:32 PM

The AC delete is bugging me. No need to modify the crossmember, a place for the PCM. Found a heater-only housing on eBay (wasn't even looking for it).
Old 01-04-2008, 11:40 PM

Car: 1987 IROC
Engine: 350 vortec
Transmission: TH350 3500 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10 bolt grenade

Yeah, I'm buying a motor and transmission this weekend and am going to order the trans dapt mounts as soon as I have the motor and trans in my posession. I'm hoping to have mine done for Power Tour this year. I'll be deleting the AC because it's going to be a lot easier and I want the extra room to work and I always just pull the T tops out when I want to go down the road.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:34 AM
Supreme Member

I'm not trying to convince you here but ditching the A/C saves a lot of work and weight...
Old 01-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 89 FORMULA 350, 91 Z28 Convertible
Engine: ls1, LB9
Transmission: t56, Auto
Axle/Gears: S60/ 3.73

I thought about ditching the a/c but it was one of my goals when I sold the 350 that was in there. I was tired of the rough idle (fun at first gets old fast) and poor MPG.

the ls1 although less HP from what I had offered better drivability with much more hp than the stock l98s. I figured why not I thought I could have a/c still and drive it everyday and take it any place even trips if I want and have modern HP and MPG.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 88 350 tpi formula
I thought about ditching the a/c but it was one of my goals when I sold the 350 that was in there. I was tired of the rough idle (fun at first gets old fast) and poor MPG.

the ls1 although less HP from what I had offered better drivability with much more hp than the stock l98s. I figured why not I thought I could have a/c still and drive it everyday and take it any place even trips if I want and have modern HP and MPG.
Exactly where I'm coming from. I've had blazing fast lumpy cammed big blocks and small blocks. i did the turbo thing with a Porsche ( pieces of **** dont buy one EVER ) and so I had enough of the headaches that come with the inconvenience those cars offered. But yay to the General low and behold the ultimate dream in 01 the Z06 Vette and almost bought one in 02. I went so far as to go the Bowling Green and take the plant tour and all.

Being a little older and tighter with the wallet these days and as always the wrench in me starts thinking... What exactly is a Z06 anyways? Once you get passed the marketing and brand image its a 12.x second car ( at least it was then ) that gets 25mpg and drives as smooth and comfortable as most any modern car with all the amenities. And oh yeah.. It corners and stops great too.

So not being one to buy into image there goes that factor. What was I left with? A $72,000 ( CAD ) car that I could build for less than $20,000 and then have the satisfaction of driving something truly unique not to mention RIDICULOUSLY less on insurance premiums? No brainer i sure aint afraid of a little hard work.

So my third gen sensibly again chose me I didnt really choose it. As far as I'm concerned I'm driving a modern day Vette in a third gen skin ( yeah yeah I know IRS exempt let me live my dream ) but seriously though I can tow a new Vette around most tracks with my set up.

Of course I need the class and comfort of A/C, pwr windows, locks, etc etc. so I had to keep that stuff. I couldn't be happier now I want a new ZR1 thats coming so I have new engine plans hehe

Third gens are the truest from of pure hot rodding available today. Plentiful affordable bodies, great looks, unlimited performance potential. Very very sensible. Thats grass roots hot rodding right there

Old 01-05-2008, 02:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: IROC-Z
Engine: LSx
Axle/Gears: Fabbed 9"

Originally Posted by cam-
Exactly where I'm coming from. I've had blazing fast lumpy cammed big blocks and small blocks. i did the turbo thing with a Porsche ( pieces of **** dont buy one EVER ) and so I had enough of the headaches that come with the inconvenience those cars offered. But yay to the General low and behold the ultimate dream in 01 the Z06 Vette and almost bought one in 02. I went so far as to go the Bowling Green and take the plant tour and all.

Being a little older and tighter with the wallet these days and as always the wrench in me starts thinking... What exactly is a Z06 anyways? Once you get passed the marketing and brand image its a 12.x second car ( at least it was then ) that gets 25mpg and drives as smooth and comfortable as most any modern car with all the amenities. And oh yeah.. It corners and stops great too.

So not being one to buy into image there goes that factor. What was I left with? A $72,000 ( CAD ) car that I could build for less than $20,000 and then have the satisfaction of driving something truly unique not to mention RIDICULOUSLY less on insurance premiums? No brainer i sure aint afraid of a little hard work.

So my third gen sensibly again chose me I didnt really choose it. As far as I'm concerned I'm driving a modern day Vette in a third gen skin ( yeah yeah I know IRS exempt let me live my dream ) but seriously though I can tow a new Vette around most tracks with my set up.

Of course I need the class and comfort of A/C, pwr windows, locks, etc etc. so I had to keep that stuff. I couldn't be happier now I want a new ZR1 thats coming so I have new engine plans hehe

Third gens are the truest from of pure hot rodding available today. Plentiful affordable bodies, great looks, unlimited performance potential. Very very sensible. Thats grass roots hot rodding right there

Amen :bow:
Old 01-05-2008, 02:58 PM

I'm not trying to convince you here but ditching the A/C saves a lot of work and weight...
But you kept yours!

It can get pretty hot here during the summer. Also, might need it for Drag Week (probably a pipe dream, but I'll keep the trailer hitch on there just in case. . .), or that road trip vacation.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Supreme Member

But you kept yours!

It can get pretty hot here during the summer. Also, might need it for Drag Week (probably a pipe dream, but I'll keep the trailer hitch on there just in case. . .), or that road trip vacation.
LOL ya man of course I kept mine. It gets so damn humid here being surrounded by the great lakes and Toronto's smog is second only to L.A. now its so bad. Plus the traffic around here is absolutely insane!!! I've driven downtown Manhattan many times and its no worse than Toronto. Have to have my A/C I was just trying to make you feel better if you ditched it is all
Old 01-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 88 V6 'bird/89TBI bird/85 T/A
Engine: 2.8/TBI/TPI
Transmission: V8 T-5/700R4 x2
Axle/Gears: 3.42 open/2.73 open/ 3.27 9 bolt

There's another vote for A/C! I guess you'll just have to suffer out the install so as not to suffer later...

Old 01-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

FYI - I had asked cam- in the past about the a/c install and was provided with some great pictures of the k-member with a nice notch cut out and rewelded factory like I think?? if I remember there was a picture of the a/c lines too but I may be wrong on that one?
Old 01-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 193 Likes on 164 Posts

I've driven downtown Manhattan many times and its no worse than Toronto....
I don't know man, it's pretty bad over here....

-Rob
Old 01-05-2008, 04:45 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

The Trans-Dapt mounts?
Yup! Brando posted a little above me.

I'll have to think about that some more. The increased working room and decreased weight and complexity are compelling. The AC doesn't work now, but I've only had the car since October. I know Berlinetta #1 sure gets hot during the summer (black interior, dark green exterior). I drove it for 2 years without AC, finally wimped out and got it going.
Well, just makes life simpler. I abhor the thought of changing the #8 plug with a heater box.

Hooray! We plan on going on Drag Week and Power Tour. If you do end up going, drop me or Brando a line, it's nice to meet people in person!
Old 01-05-2008, 11:42 PM

Car: 1987 IROC
Engine: 350 vortec
Transmission: TH350 3500 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.73 10 bolt grenade

where'd you get the trailer hitch? I'm thinking about pulling a trailer for drag week that way i dont have to clean my car out at the track. I drove the donor vehicle tonite, and I CANT WAIT to have that motor in my car. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled to see your progress, I may have mine done before you though, working 60 hours a week for a while wont be very good for finding time to work, but it will pay for go fast goodies.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:53 PM

The hitch was on the car when I picked it up. It looks like a professional job. I never had a chance to talk to the previous owners, as I bought it from a car donation service. I would guess they pulled a small boat or camping trailer with it. It has an electric brake controller, and had air bags in the rear springs (I had to take them out - the ride was extremely harsh with it).

If you have GFX, this type of hitch would require going through it.

You can see the receiver in the first post of this thread https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/carb...-afterall.html
Old 01-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '89 Trans Am GTA
Engine: WAS 350 - now L92 (alum. 378/6.2L)
Transmission: WAS 700R4, now a built T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt

Man, I'm right there with you guys!!!

I yanked my A/C out just about as quickly as I could find a suitable heater box! After all, I lived in the NW, & there's only a few days/year that you really want A/C there, right? Of course then came 2001, & economic events forced me to move to Houston - and the GTA was my daily driver...

Thank God my time in Houston only lasted a year, but five7kid's right, there are a number of days when it gets distinctly uncomfortable here without A/C, so now I've been trying to make that same decision myself. I don't so much mind notching & welding the x-member, but man, doing anything on the passenger side of the engine is SO much easier without that stinking condenser in the way... But just like Kris, I'm finding that as I get older, I'm really wanting the A/C more... (Actually, a nice CTS-V sounds like a good solution to this dilemma!! )

BTW five7, feel free to get in touch when you think that you'll have time to work on your project, if I can work my schedule around it, I'll be MORE than happy to help you spin wrenches...
Old 01-07-2008, 07:29 PM

progress is progress, even if involves just buying parts
Old 01-07-2008, 08:37 PM

Yes, there is "nuts & bolts" progress, and "project" progress.

The LS7 clutch kit arrived today ("HEAVY" doesn't even begin to describe that box - surprised shipping wasn't higher). Wasn't the best packing I've ever seen, but the parts appeared to have made it though okay - which is what matters.

One stall of the garage was used for a garage sale last August - there hasn't been a car in that stall since. The engine/transmission were the first "immovable objects" to take residence there, now it's a stack of swap parts and left-over garage sale stuff. Gotta get that garage sale stuff out of there. . . !
Old 01-07-2008, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
BTW five7, feel free to get in touch when you think that you'll have time to work on your project, if I can work my schedule around it, I'll be MORE than happy to help you spin wrenches...
Appreciate the offer. I rarely know what I'll be doing in a week, so my garage time can be pretty hard to schedule. Getting the aluminum driveshaft installed on Berlinetta #1 this past weekend was a major accomplishment (predicated on the need to adjust the park brake, which turned out to be a collapsed cable housing - just got the new cable today, probably be 2 weeks before that gets installed).

Expected near-term knee surgery doesn't make the outlook any rosier. I'm thinking I might want to concentrate on the work I plan for the '57 just to make sure it's ready for the season start in April.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88' Iroc-Z
Engine: LQ9
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

i havent started my swap yet buy guys if you want to keep the ac i believe someone makes a bracket to retain the original a/c compressor it just puts it on the top of the motor. it's been a good 8 months or so since i looked into any of it since i'm living in an apartment due to a house fire. so my project has been stalled let me see if i can find it for you. of course i could be wrong and it might be lt1 instead... information all blurs together in time...

alright http://www.montecarloss.com/ls1monte.../NewACbelt.jpg
http://www.montecarloss.com/ls1monte...lumbrktbwB.jpg

although i also think i read it might have clearance issues. I'm not sure though. Other people offer brackets that work i just can't remember who it is.

ok youngs fbody (formerly fbodymotorsports) sells the brackets but they aren't cheap by any means looks like s simple enough design maybe talk to someone that does metal work and have them make you a set that is close to the dimensions. http://www.youngsfbody.com/inc/sdetail/12165 here's a pic they have of what is included

Last edited by 87CIZ; 01-16-2008 at 02:19 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:51 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 87CIZ
ok youngs fbody (formerly fbodymotorsports)...
Hmmm. Not surprised that they changed their name, after the truly horrible reputation they've gotten/earned...

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about the fire, hope that you can get back to "normal" as quickly as possible. Finally, thanks for posting that, it gives us an idea of how others have done it, which is the starting place for fabbing your own...
Old 01-21-2008, 12:00 AM

I managed to get the garage cleaned out a little, so at least there's room to move around now. I hope to start turning bolts this coming week - when it's going to be bone-chilling cold, of course. Next weekend I'll be involved with my son's Stock Show activities, then the weekend of Feb 8th I'm going to Nebraska for a gathering of brothers to put a new engine in one brother's Suburban. Still need to find out whether my knee needs surgery as well.

I basically have all the parts ready to go except some fuel line details, and need to get the rear end work done (gears, axles, etc.)
Old 01-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Supreme Member

You're doing better than I am - I'm still hunting most of the parts I'll need, & hoping that some of my craigslist ads pan out so that I can clear some garage space...
Old 01-21-2008, 01:24 PM

My wife asked if we could get her car back in the garage. Only problem with that is that stall currently has the LS1/T56, 4th gen fuel tank, and UMI subframe connectors sitting in it. Not sure where I'd put them. I can find a place for the other small pieces, but those take up significant room.

Oh, remembered one part I don't have yet - the Skulte rear crossmember. They asked me if I was in a rush, or if they should go ahead and send it out for powder coating - I opted for the powder coating.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 87CIZ
i havent started my swap yet buy guys if you want to keep the ac i believe someone makes a bracket to retain the original a/c compressor it just puts it on the top of the motor. it's been a good 8 months or so since i looked into any of it since i'm living in an apartment due to a house fire. so my project has been stalled let me see if i can find it for you. of course i could be wrong and it might be lt1 instead... information all blurs together in time...

alright http://www.montecarloss.com/ls1monte.../NewACbelt.jpg
http://www.montecarloss.com/ls1monte...lumbrktbwB.jpg

although i also think i read it might have clearance issues. I'm not sure though. Other people offer brackets that work i just can't remember who it is.

ok youngs fbody (formerly fbodymotorsports) sells the brackets but they aren't cheap by any means looks like s simple enough design maybe talk to someone that does metal work and have them make you a set that is close to the dimensions. http://www.youngsfbody.com/inc/sdetail/12165 here's a pic they have of what is included
I looked into this and saw several complaints about the fit and after installing there was some major belt issues which sounded like the belt wanted to jump ship with the ac on

if you do a search ( ac ls1 ) it comes up as one of the first ones on the list with a guy showing the problems. seemed like the distance from the crank to the compressor was too long and needed a total of two extra idlers to stop the belt from slapping

just a heads up that this "may" need some extra effort vs bolting it on ang going like you and many of us are thinking. though this is third person so I could be way off too
Old 02-02-2008, 10:22 PM

Finally!
Attached Thumbnails Disappointingly slow progress-hood-off.jpg  
Old 02-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Supreme Member

That's definitely a good start...
Old 02-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Supreme Member

Schweeet! Springtimes coming quick better get wrenchin. I'm pulling mine in the shop sometime this month too. 4.10 gear swap, Detroit Truetrac, ASP pulley, new CAI, and a few suspension mods. I cant wait to work on it I swear I like the building more than anything these days. Its like Lego for big kids but better cuz you get to drive it after your finished
Old 02-03-2008, 08:51 AM

I actually got a lot farther than that, but the camera battery ran out of juice. It's recharged now.

Knee surgery is scheduled for the 22nd. I have to be out of town all next week, so what I get done today is all that I'll get done for 7 days. Don't worry, I have a TV in the garage.

There are two possibilities for the knee surgery - at a minimum, I'll have to stay off my feet for 3 days. In one scenario, I'll be able to do whatever I can stand after that. In the other, I won't be able to put any load on that leg for 6 weeks. He won't know until he gets in which it will be.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

Better count on the "No load for six weeks." and see what happens. Make sure it heals up good, and then you can do whatever ya like.

Cool project. If I keep my bird, I am considering swapping to LT1 electronics, for the sequential FI, and the easier prom burning. There are several good threads on it on another forum I hang out on. Engine swap would just be beyond my budget at the moment.

Keep pluggin' away, and keep us posted!
Old 02-03-2008, 02:01 PM

Yes, I don't look forward to the possibility of the longer recovery (and I'm sure my boss won't be too happy, either). I considered just waiting until later in the year, after the racing season and after a major milestone at work. I actually had the less invasive surgery in 2004, having scheduled the surgery after the end of the racing season - only to win the division race and qualify for Pomona. We showed up there 5 weeks after the surgery, and my braking leg still wasn't quite up to par.

But, I'm sure I should just go ahead and do what's necessary - give up short term convenience for long term function.

It would have to be the clutch leg. . .
Old 02-03-2008, 07:18 PM

Got the top disconnected. Draining the transmission, discovered you have to drop the crossmember to get that last pan bolt. That was enough for tonight, I'll pick it up again next week.
Attached Thumbnails Disappointingly slow progress-rf-ready-pull.jpg  
Old 02-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Supreme Member

Well, best of luck on the surgery man. The offer's still open for me to help ya spin wrenches, if you ever know of a good time-frame ahead of time (& it matches up with my off-days of course)...
Old 02-17-2008, 06:20 PM

That's more like it. . .
Attached Thumbnails Disappointingly slow progress-lg4-half-out.jpg   Disappointingly slow progress-empty-engine-compartment.jpg  
Old 02-17-2008, 07:14 PM

Car: 82 Trans Am
Engine: LTX
Axle/Gears: 3.42 strengthed 7.5 inch

I am too busy to read the whole post but if you still need a t56 crossmember I have a spohn unit sitting under the snow that I could just give away for shipping. PM me if you are interested and it would help you out.

With regards to the surgery I feel your pain, mine is scheduled for March 20th.. same kind of deal, if they sew cartilidge back together 6weeks, if they "trim" three days..
Old 02-17-2008, 07:29 PM

I'm going with the Skulte crossmember. Thanks, though.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Supreme Member

five7 its nice to see it finally underway!

Last edited by five7kid; 02-17-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:09 AM

Car: 87 Formula
Engine: '00 LM7
Transmission: 4L60e
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi

hoorah for a rolling chassis. good to see you are underway
Old 02-18-2008, 09:33 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC/05 RX8
Engine: LS1/LS1
Transmission: T56/T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 GM/3.55 8.8

Looks Good! I just started on my LSx swap project (5.3l Goin in). Im a little younger (17) so i can work on my car a heck of alot more.

On that note, your further then i am. Ive got my new motor all painted up, with new f-body accessories, my custom made (i made em) motor mount plates. But my old motor is still inside the engine bay, waiting to come out. Hopefully ill get to that today.

Good luck with your swap! I got rid of the A/C in my car. Saved weight, and mine never worked. Plus, im a fan of the "clean engine bay" look, so im aiming to continue that with the new LSx engine.

For fuel, im actually going to be ordering the professional products billet fuel rails W/ Return Regulator. $170 for the rails & regulator, they include AN lines between the rails, and the regulator that i can plug both of my TPI rubber flex lines into. Ajust my pressure and be on with it!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by J's T/A
I am too busy to read the whole post but if you still need a t56 crossmember I have a spohn unit sitting under the snow that I could just give away for shipping. PM me if you are interested and it would help you out.
I'll take it!! Sending you a PM...
Old 02-18-2008, 02:11 PM

Car: 82 Trans Am
Engine: LTX
Axle/Gears: 3.42 strengthed 7.5 inch

Replied, glad to help out.

sorry for the mini hijack..

good luck with the car and the knee.. after spinning a cam bearing it took me two years to get 82ltx back on the road, don't sweat the time just make sure it is right so you don't have to go back and do it again!

as for fuel and a/c I have nothing but good things to say about performanceplumbing.com and hotrodair.com
Old 10-21-2008, 04:20 AM

Does somebody makes similar one for a A4 ? ie, able to use long tubes that tuck under the trans X-member.

Also what does ATM stand for ?
Old 10-21-2008, 06:44 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73

ATM = At The Moment

Not sure about the double hump for A4...but I dont think so. You have things to work around like the trans pan. All the double humps Ive seen have been for T56 only.

If you think you have room, get to fabbin! Thats what I did. Its the only way to get exactly what you want, exactly how you want it, and have no one to blame but yourself it something doesnt work... hehe

J.