LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

GM's LSX & World Warhawk

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 04:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 90 IROC
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt BW
GM's LSX & World Warhawk

At SEMA last week, talked to one of the GM guys in the GM Performance display, asked him about compatibilities regarding the extra cylinder-head hold-down bolts, between GM's LSX and the World Engines Warhawk.

He indicated the exhaust side bolt holes aren't a problem, but the intake-side extra bolt holes are in different locations, different style also.

The key difference for the extra intake-side bolt holes is that on the GM block, the bolt hole is located in the block deck surface. On the Warhawk, the extra hold-down bolts is in the lifter area, so that there's an inch-or-so air gap between the cylinder head deck and the block bolt-hole threads.

In the GM head, the bolt holes in the cyl hd are blind, apparently in the Warhawk head, they go into intake runners.

The GM guy indicated that "upon request", World Engines would drill their cylinder heads to match up with the GM block bolt pattern.

On the GM head, you use a stud on the underside of the cylinder head (cyl hd deck), which then goes through the drilled head-bolt boss cast into the block. A nut is then attached on the under-side of this tab, threaded onto the stud through a casting window in the manifold valley, and torqued down. This is similar to how it was done on the BBC ZL1 blocks and the extra cyl hd hold-down bolt in the lifter valley.

After looking at the pictures posted on the respective web-sites, this is apparent, in retrospect.

It seems there were more LS-motored cars at SEMA than SBC's. so many LS-powered 69 Camaros. It also seemed all the Z06 vettes were there to showcase somebody's product or wheel. no wonder they're in short supply.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: Auto
Re: GM's LSX & World Warhawk

Nice write-up with good info. Good too know.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: blue
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

I work at world. The GM guy is wrong. But we are working on a fix.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 90 IROC
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt BW

89RSRagTop:

The GM guy is wrong.
care to elaborate on which part is wrong? are you referring to the "upon request"...?

just wondering, could be that maybe I transcribed my thoughts in error. I was trying to recollect all the details of a dialogue that occurred a week ago, quite a few beers ago. brain cell damage occurs.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: blue
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

Originally Posted by RPOL98
89RSRagTop:

care to elaborate on which part is wrong? are you referring to the "upon request"...?

just wondering, could be that maybe I transcribed my thoughts in error. I was trying to recollect all the details of a dialogue that occurred a week ago, quite a few beers ago. brain cell damage occurs.
The upon request part is wrong. I don't post about my company because we are not sponsors on this site. But i just wanted to correct errors. We will be addressing this issue of differrent bolt patterns. Have a beer for me