LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

after a year.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 12:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: '88 Camaro
Engine: LS3
Transmission: Mag F
Axle/Gears: 9" 4.11
after a year.....

I actually drove the car yesterday. The tune is close now, still have some idle to work out of it, and then log a few drives to see what its doing. I really need a wideband to monitor A/F since im not running a maf too. Had to take it to the shop yesterday to get exhaust fabbed up for it. I had to buy a special double hump crossmember to save any kind of clearance with my setup.

The car has 3" true duals with one chamber flowmaster race mufflers.

a pic of the setup under the car... this **** wouldve been on the ground if it wasnt for the new x member

a video of it idling on its own with open headers

and with the pipes on..

its still pretty loud with exhaust on it, but at least i can hear whats going on under the hood now. I have to resolve some guage issues, and work on some small things. Moser fixed the 9" yesterday so i can install that in the car, but will probably wait till after the weekend. With some cleaning and such, I will have it out this weekend [/
Old 10-17-2007, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 camaro
Engine: 383
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt posi
Re: after a year.....

soundin good, car looks good to. how did you upload the video?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: 6.2L
Transmission: T56

Sounds great! Man that idle is pretty smooth considering the cam and all.

I noticed a couple things in that one pic. Looks like your running a stock tranny mount is that correct? If so loose that thing for a poly pronto the load from the torque arm will tear that thing in half in no time. Which brings me to point two the torque arm bushing is also stock which is cacka so I would lose that also for poly. In fact...

Considering the power levels this car will be at I think a whole new adjustable torque arm might be in order if your budget allows. I'm running a stock length Spohn adjustable with a cross member relocated mount and it works great. Best 60' 1.69 so far on DR's.

Just a couple thoughts in hope to save you future grief. The stock torque arm works okay theres one guy over on LS1tech who claims 1.37 60' on the stocker. Auto with big stall.

Sounds killer though man I bet you cant wait to get on it! Whoooo yahhh
Old 10-17-2007, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by migman
soundin good, car looks good to. how did you upload the video?
just used photobucket and linked it up over here
----------
Originally Posted by cam-
Sounds great! Man that idle is pretty smooth considering the cam and all.

I noticed a couple things in that one pic. Looks like your running a stock tranny mount is that correct? If so loose that thing for a poly pronto the load from the torque arm will tear that thing in half in no time. Which brings me to point two the torque arm bushing is also stock which is cacka so I would lose that also for poly. In fact...

Considering the power levels this car will be at I think a whole new adjustable torque arm might be in order if your budget allows. I'm running a stock length Spohn adjustable with a cross member relocated mount and it works great. Best 60' 1.69 so far on DR's.

Just a couple thoughts in hope to save you future grief. The stock torque arm works okay theres one guy over on LS1tech who claims 1.37 60' on the stocker. Auto with big stall.

Sounds killer though man I bet you cant wait to get on it! Whoooo yahhh

yeah im actually gonna go down a couple hundred rpms on the idle also, but im pretty satisfied for tuning it myself.

as far as the suspension goes... it is next in line... i wanted to get the car running and driving so i can at least enjoy it and my winter focus is going to be on those weak parts as im fully aware they are. i just wanted to drive the car some before it gets too cold to drive it for the year. then i have 3 or so months to upgrade some more.

you know how it goes... your budget really never allows it, but its a price to play the game

Last edited by ls1>*; 10-17-2007 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro SC, 1999 Z28
Engine: GMPP 350HO, LS1
Transmission: Built 700r4/EDGE 3200, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Eaton 7.625, 3.42 Zexel Torsen

A+ on the exhaust work! wish i woulda had a crossmember like that a few years back. amazing!
Old 10-17-2007, 03:23 PM
Supreme Member

you know how it goes... your budget really never allows it, but its a price to play the game
oh hell ya. Mind you the tranny mount is cheap and the poly tqa mount is cheap too. Torque arm is not exactly cheap though. Not for a good one that is.

Speaking of things to upgrade... my list is growing as well. It never ends does it? Haha
Old 10-17-2007, 03:28 PM

Car: 1992 RS
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: Auto

Looks and sounds awesome man. I may be picking up an ls1 for my RS very shortly.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:30 PM

Car: 84 camaro z28
Engine: 350 Carb
Transmission: Built 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

wish i had the time and money to do that. Good job
Old 10-18-2007, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Tobias05
A+ on the exhaust work! wish i woulda had a crossmember like that a few years back. amazing!
i had a t56 in the car when i had the 406 and it had a spohn crossmember.... true duals sucked bad when that x member was in there.

thanks for the compliment
----------
oh hell ya. Mind you the tranny mount is cheap and the poly tqa mount is cheap too. Torque arm is not exactly cheap though. Not for a good one that is.

Speaking of things to upgrade... my list is growing as well. It never ends does it? Haha
yeah well i want the car to leave hard so suspension and a cage are a must this winter.... it never ends and when you think you are done you find something else to move on to. getting the setup turn key was a huge plus.

The idle is perfect now still at 1000, but i might go down to 800, IAC steps are right where they need to be and the long and short fuel trims are pretty good for not having a wideband on it yet.

i think for suspension im just gonna start looking for good used pieces. try to save some dough but get what i wanted. good thing the 4th gen rear suspension peices will work
----------
Originally Posted by Red1992V6Rs
Looks and sounds awesome man. I may be picking up an ls1 for my RS very shortly.

the setup is hard to beat for reliability and driveability... this car is alot more streetable than my 406 and it will make MORE power

Last edited by ls1>*; 10-18-2007 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-18-2007, 09:39 AM
Supreme Member

i think for suspension im just gonna start looking for good used pieces. try to save some dough but get what i wanted. good thing the 4th gen rear suspension peices will work
Yuppers lots more major league suspension stuff gets listed for sale over there at LS1tech. I bought my torque arm from a board member new unused off there.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:45 AM

Yuppers lots more major league suspension stuff gets listed for sale over there at LS1tech. I bought my torque arm from a board member new unused off there.
thats where my bmr lca's came from... that classified board over there is HUGE
Old 10-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73

Looks and sounds good.

Where did you buy that crossmember? Looks almost exactly like my home made one...but I dont remember seeing any aftermarket double hump x-members besides drews...and thats DEFINITLY not drews.

J.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Looks and sounds good.

Where did you buy that crossmember? Looks almost exactly like my home made one...but I dont remember seeing any aftermarket double hump x-members besides drews...and thats DEFINITLY not drews.

J.

i tried and tried to get ahold of drews to no avail. i bought this one from skulte
Old 10-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73

Yeah I actually meant to say "Is that a skulte" in my post. That thing looks a lot like mine. Better than the drews piece in my opinion. Do you have any installed pics of that before the pipes went under??

J.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Yeah I actually meant to say "Is that a skulte" in my post. That thing looks a lot like mine. Better than the drews piece in my opinion. Do you have any installed pics of that before the pipes went under??

J.
I sure dont... wish i woudve gotten one... i had to get it put on the car to get the exhaust ran and was on a tight timeframe lol