LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

For my application, would it be worth dropping the cradle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 12:05 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 91 RS/ 99 T/A/ 72 Vette/ 02 Z28
Engine: LSx/ Dart400
Transmission: M6/ M6/ TH400/ 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 4.10's / 3.08/ 2.73

When I do the LS1/A4 swap, the car will be getting a new K-member, new struts and new springs. All of that stuff is being replaced. The brakes front and rear are being switched over to an LS1 set up. The rear end will also be replaced.

I agree for engine only it's a waste of time.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 TRANS AM
Engine: 2004 GTO LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 02 ws6 torsen diff 3:42
Re: For my application, would it be worth dropping the cradle?

do it one shot, mount the engine on the cradle and drop the car on it.
i did the same swap, but in pieces because i was waiting for the stupid kmember to be made, but if i was to do it again i would have everything mounted then drop the car over it.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:31 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73

Engine only might be a waste of time...but engine and trans only is definetly not a waste of time. Im willing to bet I could drop my k-member with the motor, trans, and headers intact without even cracking the clutch hydraulics and then separate the motor in less time than it takes to unbolt the motor from the trans, slide the trans back, pull the headers, pull the hood, move all the stuff out of the way, probably pull the intake if you dont want to crack it, bolt chains to the heads, and pull the motor through the top.

For your project, its definetly worth it to put it all together outside the car and install it as a unit. You are getting a new k-member anyway... You can bolt your motor and trans up, install them on the k-member, install your headers or mainfolds, and just drop the car right down on all of it. Piece of cake man! After that just bolt up the a-arms, install the struts and spindles, and then install your LS1 brakes. That part of my project went really really fast. I was starting with all new parts except for the k-member, like you, which was nice. After the motor was bolted in the front end all but put itself together!

Good luck man!

Justin
Old 07-24-2007, 08:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Engine only might be a waste of time...but engine and trans only is definetly not a waste of time. Im willing to bet I could drop my k-member with the motor, trans, and headers intact without even cracking the clutch hydraulics and then separate the motor in less time than it takes to unbolt the motor from the trans, slide the trans back, pull the headers, pull the hood, move all the stuff out of the way, probably pull the intake if you dont want to crack it, bolt chains to the heads, and pull the motor through the top.

For your project, its definetly worth it to put it all together outside the car and install it as a unit. You are getting a new k-member anyway... You can bolt your motor and trans up, install them on the k-member, install your headers or mainfolds, and just drop the car right down on all of it. Piece of cake man! After that just bolt up the a-arms, install the struts and spindles, and then install your LS1 brakes. That part of my project went really really fast. I was starting with all new parts except for the k-member, like you, which was nice. After the motor was bolted in the front end all but put itself together!

Good luck man!

Justin
just for the record.... i can pull the trans and the T56 out together EASILY..

but i do have a tubular kmember, so that could be what makes it so easy.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: 6.2L
Transmission: T56

MEH... I dropped mine in together from above with a notched K member. Pain in the *** and I have an overhead crane with dolly. It would be easy with a tubular but getting the oil pan to cross member clearance is sooooo tight with the LS1 that it made things difficult. If I wanted to scratch up my fresh painted engine compt it would have been easy but there isnt much room if you want it neat.

In short stock k member I'd remove it and drop the car over.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:14 AM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 91 RS/ 99 T/A/ 72 Vette/ 02 Z28
Engine: LSx/ Dart400
Transmission: M6/ M6/ TH400/ 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 4.10's / 3.08/ 2.73

Its great to get input on this from folks who have done the swap. I really appreciate it.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73

Originally Posted by MrDude_1

but i do have a tubular kmember, so that could be what makes it so easy.
No doubt the tubular makes it easier... But you still have to pull your hood off. And you still need to remove exhaust while its in the car correct?? Or does the tubular give you room to sneak the exhaust out too?

Justin
Old 07-31-2007, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '85 TA
Engine: Aluminum Fuelie
Transmission: Mother of All Manuals

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
Ooooo.... a dual trans car. You must get some sweet gas milage on double overdrive.

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
No doubt the tubular makes it easier... But you still have to pull your hood off. And you still need to remove exhaust while its in the car correct?? Or does the tubular give you room to sneak the exhaust out too?

Justin
The tubular k gives you so much room to play with, I'm sure you could drop the exhaust as well.