LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

modified Drews torque arm relocation done

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 09:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: 6.2L
Transmission: T56
modified Drews torque arm relocation done

Well as slow as my swap has gone work is dead slow right now so I have had some time to muck about so I made this. It was pretty fiddly actually to get just the right fit around the bushing with enough compression. I made the whole unit out of 3 1/8" x 1 9/16" rectangular tube 1/8" wall. If anyone is looking to make one a 12" piece is more than enough ( provided you dont screw up :P )

Heres a couple of lousy quality cel phone pics but if theres enough interest I can produce better ones once I get mock up done and yank everything back out. The one thing you cant see in the pics is the small opening on the top to allow the bushing lip to stick out. Obviously I have yet to test this out but I think its going to work fine. It moves the location about 1/4" closer to the drivers side than stock but otherwise in the identical position.
Attached Thumbnails modified Drews torque arm relocation done-tqa_relocation_1.jpg   modified Drews torque arm relocation done-tqa_relocation_2.jpg  
Old 02-21-2007, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 TRANS AM
Engine: 2004 GTO LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 02 ws6 torsen diff 3:42
thanks man, i was goin to modify my crossmember anyway, i'm gonna grind the center hole oblong so i can tighten the tranny mount down, that should be good enough.... if anyone has got a clean shot of the back of a 4th gen 4l60e that doesn't mind posting some close up pictures of the mount please do...
Old 02-21-2007, 06:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 RS, 92 Z28
Engine: 305 TBI, 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 Both Cars
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi.. 4 wheel disc both cars
Dont want to seem dumb, but besides being stronger, what is the purpose??? It looks like you did a great job on it...Tom
Old 02-21-2007, 07:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: 6.2L
Transmission: T56
The torque arm places tremendous stress on the tail shaft of the trans especially in manual trans set ups. If you search around LS1tech there are lots of guys who tore the entire tail shaft of the tranny off when launching hard on slicks.

Third and Fourth gens are NOTORIOUS for tearing up tranny mounts and its the TQA that causes all the problems. In my case now that my power levels are up there and they fact that if its breakable I manage to find a way to do it are what motivated me to do this. There are many other torque arm designs that relocate the torque arm mounting point off the trans ( jegster, madman etc ) but they also shorten the length which workls well for drag racing but not all that great for road course use.

There are also companies who make torque arms that relocate just as mine does ( Spohn, UMI etc ) but none that will allow the exhaust clearance NEARLY as well as the drews design cross member which is what I am running.

So wanting the best of bother words I made this

On anther note I beefed up the braces that bolt to the frame and lengthened them to utilize all three bolts available per side. Much stronger. Before I could flex the cross member by hand. Now its stiffer than Ron Jeremy at work
Old 02-22-2007, 06:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 RS, 92 Z28
Engine: 305 TBI, 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 Both Cars
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi.. 4 wheel disc both cars
Ok cool, get it...Thanks.