LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Official Hawks ORY thread. What I did to make mine work....

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Official Hawks ORY thread. What I did to make mine work....

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Dude those pieces look all too familiar. Im not air flow expert, but that cant be good. Yours isnt as bad as mine, but how hard would it be to clean that up...or atleast run a darn rag through the pipes to clean all the cutting coolant and filings. Post up what kind of luck you have fitting them together. You can see what mine looked like after i cut it all up and welded it back together. By the way...the stainless isnt the most fun to weld. Its a royal pain in the butt without a TIG. You can also scroll up and see my interference areas.
I'll probally do what you did with yours and open it up and clean it up, lucky I work at a trans shop so welding and all that stuff isn't an issue. Like you said fitment will be my next problem.

Originally Posted by CRAMOS78
Diabloformula, when did u buy urs, like i said i just got mine last week, all the cuts and welds look very clean, nothing like what you guys got, maybe cause urs was for an LS1?
I ordered mine last week, shipped pretty fast, which was nice. Ya, us LS1 guys deserve all the crap must be the horsepower output.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:46 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73

Originally Posted by CRAMOS78
hey ghettocruiser, thanks for all the info and pics, definetely not what i wanted to see, that ground clrearance is pretty bad, ...
Here's a better look at my clearance now. Thats with a cut out...this is what it SHOULD be like using the pre-made stuff. My car has about 1.5" of drop too...

Matter of fact...look at this pic of the underside of the pass. side pipes. Note, the passenger side didnt hang as low as the driver. See that big concave dimple? No idea how you get a dent like that, but it happened.

On a side note...I definetly recommend that flowmaster merge collector thats in that picture. That thing is awesome. Just wish they came in stainless...thats the only part of my system thats not stainless from the headers to the tips. Those are all the parts I got for my y-pipe minus the clamps. All magnaflow mandrel bent, flowmaster merge (2.5 - 3), and a QTP stainless cutout that was absolutely BEAUTIFUL inside and out. Hated to put it under.

Originally Posted by cam-
Made a HUGE difference in my car once I got it tuned especially in regards to overall drive ability....
Car is actually at a shop...but he is getting an error when trying to download the tune. He is thinking the PCM is locked...which SUCKS...Ill find out today for sure. Either he figured it out, or Im driving an hour to pick it up with nothing done.

J.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:18 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 iroc-z/28
Engine: 408 lsx
Transmission: 5800 stall
Axle/Gears: 4.71

nice work on the y pipe.
x member loooks even better!
i actually prefer a magnaflow or a howe brand y pipe, but the flowmaster is miles ahead of 2 pipes welded together(pun at hawks)
looks like the crossmember would be a extremely tight fit on an automatic car.
awesome job!
Old 08-15-2007, 07:41 PM

What I started with.........
Attached Thumbnails Official Hawks ORY thread.  What I did to make mine work....-ls1-camaro-exhaust2-001.jpg   Official Hawks ORY thread.  What I did to make mine work....-ls1-camaro-exhaust2-002.jpg  
Old 08-15-2007, 07:42 PM

What I ended with..........
Attached Thumbnails Official Hawks ORY thread.  What I did to make mine work....-ls1-camaro-exhaust2-006.jpg   Official Hawks ORY thread.  What I did to make mine work....-ls1-camaro-exhaust2-008.jpg   Official Hawks ORY thread.  What I did to make mine work....-ls1-camaro-exhaust2-012.jpg  
Old 08-16-2007, 09:16 AM
Supreme Member

Nice job smoothing that out. Youre right...yours wasnt as bad as mine. I just hope you have better luck with the rest of the fitting. Because mine wasnt just alittle off... it plain old wouldnt fit.

Definetly take some pics when you try to install the y-pipe.

J.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Nice job smoothing that out. Youre right...yours wasnt as bad as mine. I just hope you have better luck with the rest of the fitting. Because mine wasnt just alittle off... it plain old wouldnt fit.

Definetly take some pics when you try to install the y-pipe.

J.
Well I'll be putting the exhaust in next week sometime so we'll see what happens, I'll also post up pics as well.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:28 AM
Supreme Member

So much for progress guys....

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/body...ml#post3435576
Old 02-08-2008, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 2002 SS LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: Auburn 3.42

Okay, I know everyone is talking about LT headers, but I had to ask, how are the y pipes run for those of us running the stock LS1 manifolds?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Supreme Member

Hmm...not that many people doing that. Most go for the LTs. But, I imagine with the stock manifolds, you could run the y-pipe similar to the stock routing. The trans crossmember shouldnt matter at that point... Its been so long since I saw mine with stock exhaust, that I dont remember... haha.

Im sure someone can chime in and hook you up with some info...but if you search and look at the stickies real good, you might dig something up on it.

J.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '85 Trans Am FAILBIRD
Engine: 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4th gen torsen 3.42

ghetto - the info you posted is very helpful so thanks. I'm trying to get my ducks in a row for an ls1 swap and I currently have a spohn TA and x-member. It's looking like a double hump and custom y is the way to go and I'm wondering whether to hack up the spohn piece or make one from scratch. Did you have to modify the SW collectors in any way?

Not that I need it as 3.5" cat-back should be plenty, but one question I've got is whether anyone has squeezed a 3-into-4" y-pipe through a double-hump x-member... would be nice to take advantage of the 3" collector version of the SW headers.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Supreme Member

Hey man, Glad the info helped ya.

Im gonna say you COULD use the spohn x-member and build a decent y-pipe. However, that y-pipe is going to have to go around the x-member. And it gets tricky when you have to go under the subframe. So my recommendation is a double hump x-member, and a custom y-pipe. You can come straight back with it. Check out my other threads...I think the one is called "round 2..." or something. You can check out my y-pipe and all.

I didnt HAVE to modify my collectors on the headers. I installed v-band flanges on my entire exhaust system for ease of install/removal. But I could very well have just left the set up "slip on". In order to have room for the v-band clamps, I had to weld extensions onto my headers to bring the joint back and in alittle.

As for the 3 into 4 system... you could probably do it. If you built the x-member well, you could probably squeeze 3" y-pipes in. You have to pay more attention to your tolerances if you are doing that. Im running 2.5" collectors, 2.5" y-pipe into 3" catback. Flows plenty good for my set up, which breathes pretty heavy.

Someone else can chime in on the 3" y-pipe...

Good luck getting your swap going!

J.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: 6.2L
Transmission: T56

One of the other swappers did a dual 3" y pipe and a 4" catback that was super clean. Its another white IROC and he was in the Michigan area IIRC. Looked pretty tucked to me he had an off site link with his entire build up about 20 pages or something crazy like that.