Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Protecting dash pad

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 06:50 AM
KCG

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Protecting dash pad

I'm about ready to install a dash pad that I've had in storage for years. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to "condition" it to help keep it from cracking? Anything that will soften it up some.
I guess it will happen eventually, but trying to prolong it.
Old 06-27-2024, 01:12 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 405 Likes on 309 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56
Re: Protecting dash pad

Originally Posted by KCG
I'm about ready to install a dash pad that I've had in storage for years. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to "condition" it to help keep it from cracking? Anything that will soften it up some.
I guess it will happen eventually, but trying to prolong it.
Anything with UV protection. Is this an original one or aftermarket? Aftermarket may use newer plastics that aren't as effected by UV exposure.
The following users liked this post:
Roorancher (06-28-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 01:19 PM
KCG

Original.
Searching I've seen Formula 303 and Meguiars red bottle being recommended.
Old 06-27-2024, 09:20 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 15 Ram, 88 IROC, 92 RS
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.42 (4th Gen)

Before you install it, have uv protection film installed on your windshield. It will not only help with the dash, but also help keep interior temps lower. I bought my mother an MX5 grey on black vinyl, and you can sit in it without a towel in the Florida summer heat.
The following users liked this post:
DynoDave43 (Yesterday)
Old 06-28-2024, 05:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 427ci Gen 1 Small Block
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Strange60 4.10 Eaton Truetrac

The easiest way is to not leave it in the sun for extended periods of time. My car has 95k on it and my dashpad is still pretty supple, but it was always garaged and I live in Michigan. Hit it with 303 every month or so and be mindful of where you park, it'll probably outlast the rest of the vehicle.

As to window film, if you're gonna do it don't cheap out. I have a black car with black leather interior, I park in the open facing east and it's perfectly fine after baking for 10 hours. My third gen in the same spot gets up to or over 120f with the 1997 poly tint over the same time period.
Old 06-28-2024, 09:02 AM

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans AM
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700-4r
Axle/Gears: 3.23

I have used 303 on a vinyl top. DO NOT use any product that will shine on the cover. Makes it difficult to see due to the reflection
Old 06-28-2024, 09:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 385 Fastburn
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 9-bolt posi, 3.27 gears

Armorall or mcguire's, keep it wiped down. Before installation spray it and let it SIT. Then spray it again 30 mins later and wipe it off. When you park in the sun for an extended period toss a towel on the dash.
Old 06-28-2024, 11:47 AM
KCG

Originally Posted by ratfink6923
Before you install it, have uv protection film installed on your windshield. It will not only help with the dash, but also help keep interior temps lower. I bought my mother an MX5 grey on black vinyl, and you can sit in it without a towel in the Florida summer heat.
Sounds like all good advice.
Did you install the UV film yourself or the glass shop or a tinting shop?
Old 06-28-2024, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Firebird
Transmission: TH350

Armor All has NEVER worked for me. While I have it, I haven't had the 303 products long enough to know how good they are, but seeing others use the products on old vehicle vinyl and plastic parts looks promising.

The process I've used that has lasted isn't a quick one, but seems to work. I learned it from a friend decades ago who used it on his '69 GTO dash with great success. I've since used it on our '86 SVO dash and '92 Camaro dash. Both dashes are prone to cracking (shattering, is more like it) with age and exposure.

The process is to pull the dash pad, slather it in Vaseline Petroleum Jelly and tightly wrap it in Saran Wrap. He left that GTO darn wrapped for a couple of weeks. Our SVO dash was wrapped for several months while we completed other restoration activities on it, and the Camaro dash was wrapped literally for years (the car is in storage awaiting time to work on it, which has just recently occurred).

After a long rest, unwrap the pad, wipe the excess PJ off, and then give it a good clean with soap and water. The PJ will have soaked into the pad surface, softened and restored some of its color. Dry after a good rinse. I did wipe the dash down with 303 Products Aerospace Protectant P/N 30313CSR, as an added protection, prior to installing. It looks great. Here are a couple of pictures shortly before the install. Not3e that this is an old 3rd Gen Camaro dash, not NOS:

Old 06-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 247 Likes on 190 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42 Auburn

I use this. Works great, not greasy or shiny and has UV protectant. I wanted to post a pic but it ain't cooperating today!

Chemical Guys Total Interior Cleaner And Protectant (16 Fl. Oz.) Clear SPI22016 - Best Buy

Old 06-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 385 Fastburn
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 9-bolt posi, 3.27 gears

Originally Posted by gbeaird
Armor All has NEVER worked for me. While I have it, I haven't had the 303 products long enough to know how good they are, but seeing others use the products on old vehicle vinyl and plastic parts looks promising.

The process I've used that has lasted isn't a quick one, but seems to work. I learned it from a friend decades ago who used it on his '69 GTO dash with great success. I've since used it on our '86 SVO dash and '92 Camaro dash. Both dashes are prone to cracking (shattering, is more like it) with age and exposure.

The process is to pull the dash pad, slather it in Vaseline Petroleum Jelly and tightly wrap it in Saran Wrap. He left that GTO darn wrapped for a couple of weeks. Our SVO dash was wrapped for several months while we completed other restoration activities on it, and the Camaro dash was wrapped literally for years (the car is in storage awaiting time to work on it, which has just recently occurred).

After a long rest, unwrap the pad, wipe the excess PJ off, and then give it a good clean with soap and water. The PJ will have soaked into the pad surface, softened and restored some of its color. Dry after a good rinse. I did wipe the dash down with 303 Products Aerospace Protectant P/N 30313CSR, as an added protection, prior to installing. It looks great. Here are a couple of pictures shortly before the install. Not3e that this is an old 3rd Gen Camaro dash, not NOS:

Different strokes for different folks, the pad on my '83 has been soaked in armorall and is doing great. Whatever product is used the key is getting something with UV protection.
Old 06-28-2024, 01:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:27 BW 9 bolt

I just try not to leave mine in the sun too long. If it's parked out of the garage, I use a sunshade (unless it's winter). I have a dash mat over mine too.
Old 06-28-2024, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Firebird
Transmission: TH350

Originally Posted by 80schild
I just try not to leave mine in the sun too long. If it's parked out of the garage, I use a sunshade (unless it's winter). I have a dash mat over mine too.
So much this!! Both the Rustang and Camaro dashes were replacing pieces that had shattered from being stored out in the Texas heat and sun. Now they enjoy a ilife of leisure in our shop. :-)

Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 761 Likes on 585 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 2.73 Open

Originally Posted by gbeaird

That's interesting. I read some advice in a Mustang resto magazine many years ago where they used lanolin on wiring harnesses to soften brittle insulation. I've often wondered what it would do for a dash pad, but have not yet tried it.