Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Odd T-Top leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 07:30 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: T5WC
Axle/Gears: 3:27
Odd T-Top leak

I searched to my hearts content but couldn't find a similar issue.

My t-top is leaking from the map light. I put in new seals back in 1999 along with the black T-Bar. I know what you're thinking. Anyway, they are in mint brand new crack free and soft condition. Car has been garaged and looked after and has maybe 50'000 kilometers put on it in all that time. Never seen snow and I've had it out in the rain maybe 8 times in 20 years. I've never noticed it until this past week. The first time was a simple two drips after I washed the car. Thought I was seeing things. Then last night I was in a torrential downpour on the highway, and it was coming in through the swivel map light at more than a drip. Noticed it dripping on the rear seat and originally thought it was from the hatch, but then seeing it on the highway would mean it's from the front somewhere given the forward motion and wind.

I had a look and noticed what looked like a gap/space right at the inside corners of the seal where it meets the metal t-bar channel right dead center of the windshield, (where seal meets the bar, not where the bar meets the body) on both the drivers and passenger side of the bar. This would be on the outboard side of the seal. So the seal itself is making excellent contact with the glass. Wondering if the water is getting in the channel, as it looks like it normally would, and makes its way to those gaps. I've put in some sealant as can be seen in the pic. I should've taken it before I sealed it, but the gaps looked like square notches. I think they were supposed to be there but sealed/butted up against the bar. No idea why this started so many years later. I did however install a new ABS headliner. Plastic will channel water like ***** through a goose, maybe my other headliner was absorbing it more, because I've always had a small drip on that back seat.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Odd T-Top leak-20160627_083448.jpg   Odd T-Top leak-20160627_083457.jpg  

Last edited by EDGE; 06-27-2016 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro Iroc Z
Engine: 350
Transmission: Automatic
Re: Odd T-Top leak

Not really sure about your t-top issue. However, what seats are those? I like them!
Old 06-27-2016, 02:46 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: T5WC
Re: Odd T-Top leak

Originally Posted by Caddywampus
Not really sure about your t-top issue. However, what seats are those? I like them!
lol. Recovered factory original GTA seats.