Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Dash lights blink but turn signal doesn't

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash lights blink but turn signal doesn't

I am putting my son's 88 IROC back together. Down to putting the gauge cluster back in. Replaced dash lights with LEDs left the regular bulbs in the warning lights and turn signals. Everything is working except the passenger side turn signal indicator. Turn on driver side dash lights don't blink turn signal does. Turn on passenger side no turn signal and right side dash lights blink. Can someone help me with? Forgot to mention that the passenger side trunk signal indicator bulb is very dim with no turn signal...
Old 03-29-2016, 10:52 AM

Car: 1987 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5
Re: Dash lights blink but turn signal doesn't

Originally Posted by Brian28166
I am putting my son's 88 IROC back together. Down to putting the gauge cluster back in. Replaced dash lights with LEDs left the regular bulbs in the warning lights and turn signals. Everything is working except the passenger side turn signal indicator. Turn on driver side dash lights don't blink turn signal does. Turn on passenger side no turn signal and right side dash lights blink. Can someone help me with? Forgot to mention that the passenger side trunk signal indicator bulb is very dim with no turn signal...
Hello Brian. Was the passenger side turn signal indicator working before you removed the instrument cluster?

I had a very similar issue: passenger signal indicator AND signal itself only worked in cool weather, nonfunctional when hot. Furthermore, with headlights on the passenger signal indicator would illuminate permanently (not flashing) and front turn signal would not function, but rear turn signal did.

Long story short, I replaced the turn signal switch (inside the steering column) and all of my problems were solved. I think some water had infiltrated the steering column when I got rained on while driving with T-tops off.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have a question.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:09 PM

Re: Dash lights blink but turn signal doesn't

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION. TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION THE CAR WAS IN PIECES WHEN I GOT IT. IT HAS BEEN A JIGSAW PUZZEL. I HAVE TO CHANGE THE IGNITION KEY SWITCH AS WELL AS TIGHTEN UP THE TILT STEERING.