Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

A1 Auto - Weather Stripping Kit LEAKING

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 5.0 TBI H.O. soon to be LS3 6.2l
Transmission: 700r4 - Soon to be T56
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" LSD, 3.54 Gears
A1 Auto - Weather Stripping Kit LEAKING

I've purchased a complete T-Top (not C&C version) 1A Auto weather strip kits.

However i'm only having issues with the T TOP WEATHER STRIPPING on the passenger side! This was the Door triangles, complete t top set.

After installation, and proper break in of weather stripping (grease then applying conditioner).

The rubber on my passenger door is literally punctured where the corner of the window closes to the weather stripping.

The front driver side end of the T-Top (top part of weather stripping from door, bottom of t-top glass) is LEAKING RAPIDLY!!

This is not the quality i usually get from 1A Auto products - Not bashing just sharing my experience!

You guys are always very supportive to your customers but now i'm out of the cost of labor not to mention the cost to purchase the weather stripping parts and get it professionally installed.
Since i didn't purchase the weather stripping from the upholstery shop, He can't warranty a product that he didn't supply as well so now im out 500$+ and worse condition of weather stripping than before!! I watched the installation process and the demolding of current weather stripping -- I'm just that type of guy when anyone works/touches my car I observe and ask questions to learn.

Whats an even big bummer is its just one of the weather stripping pieces thats leaking - the passenger t top, not going to risk buying another kit just to use 1 piece of rubber for a 300$ Kit.

I am just sharing my experience and will upload more detailed pictures of where it leaks from, and the BIG (larger than quarter size) hole in the weather stripping as well. This is just on my passenger t top!!

It's been raining over here now in CA San jose and I'm literally cringing with every drop - I will post better pictures of the faulty area's and also of where it leaks. Its not just a drip either, It LEAKS!!
When I Take a turn my passenger/doorpanel/armrest get covered in water!

Please, If anyone can help in any way that would be widely appreciated and words couldn't justify my gratitude!!
Attached Thumbnails A1 Auto - Weather Stripping Kit LEAKING-image-2-.jpeg   A1 Auto - Weather Stripping Kit LEAKING-image.jpeg  
Old 02-06-2014, 02:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '84 Firebird TA & '87 Camaro LT
Engine: 350 V-8 & V-6
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 & 3.42
Re: A1 Auto - Weather Stripping Kit LEAKING

First I would contact 1A Auto. I have always had great response from them. On the other hand, they can't be responsible for the installation. Their weather stripping is working great on my car and I installed it myself.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

It looks like the weatherstripping on the t top is not meeting the body weatherstripping properly.
I have to agree with Hal. Installation is key to leak free seals, and a majority of the issues usually occur due to improper install. First off, I would make sure they don't need to be adjusted. It looks like it is not mating properly to the other seal. You need to get a better pic of the hole. If there is definitely something wrong with it, I am sure that they will replace it. I had an issue with something I purchased from 1A and it was replaced. You can't expect a vendor to take care of install costs. It never happens.
I am sure Tony will chime in here at some point. 1A is a good vendor with plenty of positive feedback.

Last edited by 82tarecaro; 02-06-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:10 PM

Car: 92 RS Heritage
Engine: 305

Originally Posted by Justin93
I've purchased a complete T-Top (not C&C version) 1A Auto weather strip kits.

However i'm only having issues with the T TOP WEATHER STRIPPING on the passenger side! This was the Door triangles, complete t top set.

After installation, and proper break in of weather stripping (grease then applying conditioner).

The rubber on my passenger door is literally punctured where the corner of the window closes to the weather stripping.

The front driver side end of the T-Top (top part of weather stripping from door, bottom of t-top glass) is LEAKING RAPIDLY!!

This is not the quality i usually get from 1A Auto products - Not bashing just sharing my experience!

You guys are always very supportive to your customers but now i'm out of the cost of labor not to mention the cost to purchase the weather stripping parts and get it professionally installed.
Since i didn't purchase the weather stripping from the upholstery shop, He can't warranty a product that he didn't supply as well so now im out 500$+ and worse condition of weather stripping than before!! I watched the installation process and the demolding of current weather stripping -- I'm just that type of guy when anyone works/touches my car I observe and ask questions to learn.

Whats an even big bummer is its just one of the weather stripping pieces thats leaking - the passenger t top, not going to risk buying another kit just to use 1 piece of rubber for a 300$ Kit.

I am just sharing my experience and will upload more detailed pictures of where it leaks from, and the BIG (larger than quarter size) hole in the weather stripping as well. This is just on my passenger t top!!

It's been raining over here now in CA San jose and I'm literally cringing with every drop - I will post better pictures of the faulty area's and also of where it leaks. Its not just a drip either, It LEAKS!!
When I Take a turn my passenger/doorpanel/armrest get covered in water!

Please, If anyone can help in any way that would be widely appreciated and words couldn't justify my gratitude!!
There are way too many reasons there is a leak for you to jump out and point the finger at 1A. The proper thing to have done was contact 1A directly and give them the opportunity to assist you.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:48 PM
Sponsor
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 715 Likes on 632 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

For the seal to be all damages like that seems like you door is out of alignment. Worn hinge pins and stop.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by 82tarecaro
It looks like the weatherstripping on the t top is not meeting the body weatherstripping properly.
I have to agree with Hal. Installation is key to leak free seals, and a majority of the issues usually occur due to improper install. First off, I would make sure they don't need to be adjusted. It looks like it is not mating properly to the other seal. You need to get a better pic of the hole. If there is definitely something wrong with it, I am sure that they will replace it. I had an issue with something I purchased from 1A and it was replaced. You can't expect a vendor to take care of install costs. It never happens.
I am sure Tony will chime in here at some point. 1A is a good vendor with plenty of positive feedback.

1A AUTO IS MY CHOICE FOR ALL NON GM OEM PARTS. PERIOD.

I am not bashing please do not misinterpret.
I know there are plenty of A1 vendors on this site and I am hoping the title will draw there attention. My door was not closed when the last picture was taken FYI
I've replaced both pins, bushings and retainers in my Camaro and K1500.

Secondly, I agree with the seating of the weather stripping being the biggest area of concern. Prep time is the biggest factor for anything aesthetic on an automobile. Regardless, I'd like to speak to a specific representative honed towards our 82-92 f body make to maybe elaborate any other experiences they can share with there previous consumers.

I will provide pictures but i work 6-6 everyday except sunday so what was in the picture was about as best as i could grab before i went my way to work.

When i received my weather stripping i let it rest in its 'to-be installed' position for a week. Still, I noticed the corner of the mouldings (where the top corner goes down the back of the cabin and meets the end of the door) was still contoured in a position that looked unnatural.

I'm not speculating what 'could of happened' Im simply stating what was going on since i first pulled them out of box.

I took it to an interior upholstery shop that is more then reputable - Family relative owned - I'm not questioning the quality of the product nor the service.

This has been my experience with the weather strip kit, MY EXPERIENCE. everything else that wasn't glued i've installed and has held impeccably. ON BOTH MY VEHICLES.

I use 1A Auto not only for there parts, but for there videos, Products, and availability of such a wide array of parts in the market.

I would just like to see if there's another form of resolving this other than buying the same kit to use one piece again.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

HI Justin, There's a warranty on the seals that we sell. Could you please call our customer service department at 888-844-3393 and they can look into your order, as well as go over this issue with you.

Tell them Tony sent yah. Let me know how you make out.

Regards,
Tony
Old 02-28-2014, 11:52 AM

Hi Tony,

Appreciate the response! I did manage to get in contact with Bryan with A1 Auto, However There is no exception for sending/purchasing individual seals.
Bryan diligently worked on pressing this matter for me in attempts to send me a replacement and at the least a single piece of weather stripping laying around or purchasable.

However Bryan was unable to find a spare or honor my warranty as I didn't have the original warranty card on my person at the time.

I do have pictures of the box when it was received from another TGO member. If i manage to get in contact with this member again and request an invoice/receipt scanned or emailed to me he can work something out.

I've contacted the original seller who i purchased the weather stripping from on TGO and am awaiting a response.
I have paypal proof of purchase on my half as well as the original box with all the pieces in the original packaging as it came - I can provide pictures for clarity.

Currently we are getting some heavy rains in Northern California and my camaro is suffering as well as starting to smell due to the leaks.

Any help with this would be appreciated moving forward with this matter.

I would also like to thank you Tony and the staff of A1 Auto for always pressing forward to helping your customers - Certainly this industries vendors could learn alot from you guys which is why I always keep coming back for more products from you guys.
Simply one unfortunate encounter does not diminish the respect I have for your guy's company nor the credibility of your team.

Thanks for the extended assistance.
Attached Thumbnails A1 Auto - Weather Stripping Kit LEAKING-image.jpg   A1 Auto - Weather Stripping Kit LEAKING-weather-strip.jpg   A1 Auto - Weather Stripping Kit LEAKING-screen-shot-2014-02  

Last edited by Justin93; 02-28-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you Justin