Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

4th gen power seat plastics - what did you do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 02:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Z w/T-Tops
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: G92
4th gen power seat plastics - what did you do?

Hello Everyone,

When I installed a manual Leather 4th gen seat onto my 3rd gen power seat track (using the 3rd gen seat controls and plastic housing), I discovered that although from outside of the car it looks good, when you look down over the controls themself, you can see the backside of the controls and wiring which to me, is an eyesore in a freshly restored interior.

Two questions for those of you with 4th gen power seats:

If I was to find a 4th gen control housing, is just that piece suffice, or, are there additional pieces needed to keep it from showing the control wires? I ask this in case I found just the main piece online, bought it and then found out I need additional pieces.

Second, my leather seats are from a '97 formula. The 4th gen started in 93; did they change the seat trim I am asking about before 97 OR after 97? Also, are these pieces the same, whether Firebird or Camaro? I ask this to make sure I don't end up with non-compatible parts.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by majobis; 09-08-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 monte aerocoupe
Engine: 383 HSR w/ novi 2000
Transmission: Built 4l80e circle d converter
Axle/Gears: Currie 9" 3.89 gears
Re: 4th gen power seat plastics - same design for full era?

When I switched my seats, I had a set of power and manual 4th gen seats. The power seat has a recess in the foam so the switch sits flush with the seat. I got a nice set of manual leather seats on the 4th gen power track with the 4th gen switch. It looks OK, but it does stick out some in the front though. I hope that helps. I could post a pic of it later for you.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:42 PM

Re: 4th gen power seat plastics - same design for full era?

So even though the fabric set and the leather set were both 4th gen, because the fabric one was originally designed to be a 'power seat', the assumption would be that the factory made a slight alteration to the seat to sort of bury the rear of the power seat controls?
Old 09-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 345 Likes on 281 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27
Re: 4th gen power seat plastics - what did you do?

Ive got 97 T/A leather seats.My 84z has a dr. power seat.With swap to the t/a seats the power lumbar switch was in the spot my 84 switch would need to go.So i snagged a switch from a Taurus & re-wired it so i could power the seat track.The taurus switch is flat, unlike my 84s.Also i mounted it on the inner side seat trim, facing the center console.

Not sure around what year, but later model t/a's seem to only have the power seat, no lumbar (round switch).The trim for the t/a w/ lumbar differs from the t/a's w/out lumbar.The camaros power seat switch w/ the toggle in the center is bulkier than the t/a switch.Trim differs too from camaro to t/a.Probably easier to swap trim/switch from a 4th gen t/a.

For the most part t/a's have a recessed mounting style.So the back of the switch is in the seat w/ a cut out in the seat foam.Camaros use a mounting style entirely on the plastic trim so the switch protudes & the trim is "thicker" than t/a.Camaro seat foam doesnt have any cut therefore.

Last edited by 84 1LE; 09-08-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by 84 1LE
Ive got 97 T/A leather seats.My 84z has a dr. power seat.With swap to the t/a seats the power lumbar switch was in the spot my 84 switch would need to go.So i snagged a switch from a Taurus & re-wired it so i could power the seat track.The taurus switch is flat, unlike my 84s.Also i mounted it on the inner side seat trim, facing the center console.

Not sure around what year, but later model t/a's seem to only have the power seat, no lumbar (round switch).The trim for the t/a w/ lumbar differs from the t/a's w/out lumbar.The camaros power seat switch w/ the toggle in the center is bulkier than the t/a switch.Trim differs too from camaro to t/a.Probably easier to swap trim/switch from a 4th gen t/a.

For the most part t/a's have a recessed mounting style.So the back of the switch is in the seat w/ a cut out in the seat foam.Camaros use a mounting style entirely on the plastic trim so the switch protudes & the trim is "thicker" than t/a.Camaro seat foam doesnt have any cut therefore.
Thank you as well. Ideally, I would have gone to a yard to check out some 4th gen donors in person, but the four I've been to only have manual seat cars.

Since you made a different switch swap, I'll ask this: does anyone know if a 4th gen power seat control has the same wiring connection as a 3rd gen one?
Old 09-08-2012, 02:30 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Not really, you're better off using the whole harness.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 monte aerocoupe
Engine: 383 HSR w/ novi 2000
Transmission: Built 4l80e circle d converter
Axle/Gears: Currie 9" 3.89 gears

The connector is the same. The leather seats I got had a 3rd gen power track with the switch just dangling there. That's why I used the 4th gen tracks, just worked better.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
Car: '02 T/A WS6, '91 T/A, '91 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1, LB9, L03
Transmission: T56, 700R4, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10 10 bolt, 2.73 10 bolts

IIRC, you couldn't get the same leather seats in a '97 Formula that you could have gotten in a '97 T/A. I know this to be a fact on the 98-02 models. The standard 98-02 T/A leather seats would be the same as the optional leather ones in the Formula for those years, but the optional T/A seats (with the nicer back pattern and power lumbar controls) were not available at all in 98-02 Firebirds and Formulas.

Do your seats have power lumbar controls?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by 84 1LE

When you mentioned the cutout in the foam, is there a cutout in the leather as well or just underneath? Photos of what I was referring to in my original post are below. The first shows a photo I found of how the back of the control is visible, like mine is now. The second photo is of what I want mine to look like.
Attached Thumbnails 4th gen power seat plastics - what did you do?-image.jpg  
Old 09-28-2012, 09:52 AM

Second photo:
Attached Thumbnails 4th gen power seat plastics - what did you do?-image.jpg  
Old 09-28-2012, 11:09 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Yes, the wires pass thru the leather/foam.Then under the seat to the main harness.