Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

B&M Megashifter - Matte Black Powder Coated

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: V8 5.0 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4 with B&M MegaShifter
Axle/Gears: Gear Ratio: 2.73 Ring Gear: 7 5/8
B&M Megashifter - Matte Black Powder Coated

In the quest to make my 89 Firebird Formula look more like a the X-Men Stealth SR-71 Blackbird Aircraft (LOL) I decided on going with a B&M Megashifter B&M 80692 to trick out my interior a little more and make driving my automatic more fun with a ratchet shifter. I kinda do my mods by what I can find a good deal on on thirdgen.org, craigslist and ebay or the junk yard. And fellow third gen'r, CoolBall, just so happened to have a Megashifter for sale out of his parts Camero and no use for it since his p1mp Camaro is a stick (yes, I'm jealous). So he gave me a real good deal, I ordered it up and he had it on my doorstep in a week.

Not a huge fan of logos or stickers (looks to Joe Dirtish to me...don't get me wrong, I love Joe Dirt, but you know what I mean...my old formula was a rolling advertisement!), so I started out by JB welding the "B&M" logo off the T-handle. I brain stormed other ways I could have covered it (I have a friend who is a pro-leather wrapper or padding, etc) but I like the steel feel of the shifter, over the plastic/rubber feel of the stock one, so went with JB welding the "B&M" away. I was reassured powdercoat would stick to J.B. Weld.

After using acetone to make sure I removed all the red paint off the "B&M", (I didn't want it bubbling out or expanding in the powdercoat oven), I mixed and poured the JB weld into the logo, let it dry for 24hrs and sat on my deck for a weekend sanding it down smooth. I started with course sandpaper - all the way down to 800 grit. While I was at it, I sanded off all the chrome that was showing on all parts above the boot.

Then to the powdercoater to get done all Matte Black (R.W. Little Powdercoating in San Diego - unbeatable prices! Tossed my buddy's Ducati parts and my other buddy's Jeep parts in the powdercoat bin also - more parts the cheaper for everyone) and after a week I got it all back. It looks killer!

While the parts were at powder coat, I double checked the operation of the shifter, tightened bolts and screws and added more greese, all while studing the installation instructions and threads online.

Also, the gear indicator on the Megashifter was a orange sticker that was all faded and actually fell off on me, so I painted the indicator with white nail polish...don't ask why, I guess because some chick left it in the house?!?!? Hahaha! But it came perfect. The white looks better than the orange in my all black car.

I also ordered the B&M 3ft Super Duty Race Shifter Cable B&M 80831 (so I didn't have to loop it around the transmission), a new B&M Boot B&M 80668 (the old one had a little tear and I'm @nal about that stuff), a Shifter Transmission Bracket and Lever Kit B&M 20462 (didn't have the old one) and a Jam Strait Hyper-Bright red LED bulb 194RH for the display window.

Did the whole install at the auto-hobby shop on base with my buddy. Installed the shifter Saturday and wired the Neutral safety switch, back-up lights and display light Sunday.

Installaion wasn't too hard but I'm glad my friend was there as an extra set of hands and eyeballs to help. Having the car on a lift was money too. I don't know why in the instructions it states "Will not fit in Formulas" because it fits perfect. I drilled new holes for the front bracket, cut the console with a dremel and cut and spliced the wires. It all worked out...so far.

Its all done and pretty awesome! I have a 2din DVD/NAV unit in the car and this shifter makes it way easier to see the screen for some reason. I was ratcheting that thing all over town today!

I think the Megashifter is awesome, WELL worth it if you want to make your automatic "shiftable" when you feel like it. When you don't feel like shifting, just pop it into drive and go! It totally looks sinister sitting up there on your console!
Attached Thumbnails B&M Megashifter - Matte Black Powder Coated-b-m-megashifter-black   B&M Megashifter - Matte Black Powder Coated-b-m-megashifter-stock.jpg  
Old 07-09-2012, 07:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Christine Z28
Engine: RV Cam and Intake 350 SBC
Transmission: 5speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08 ls Posi
Re: B&M Megashifter - Matte Black Powder Coated

Very cool, I'd say it makes your car look more like the punisher-mobile than anything else! You'd have to have fuel leaks, matte black paint, and satellite imaging to look like a blackbird lol.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dakota W.
Very cool, I'd say it makes your car look more like the punisher-mobile than anything else! You'd have to have fuel leaks, matte black paint, and satellite imaging to look like a blackbird lol.
Hahaha! Sat imaging...I think I can do that.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:39 PM

Car: 1982 Z-28
Engine: 383
Transmission: Turbo 350
Axle/Gears: Det. Posi, Superior Axles, 3:73 G

I really like the looks of that! I've had the Mega for a while now and to me this is a perfect upgrade.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by crazynights
I really like the looks of that! I've had the Mega for a while now and to me this is a perfect upgrade.
crazynights - Thank you very much. This is my first project car, and I have all these ideas about the mods and its really cool when it all comes together. Just washed her up and about to Megashift her down to Comic Con!
Old 07-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Christine Z28
Engine: RV Cam and Intake 350 SBC
Transmission: 5speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08 ls Posi

Originally Posted by PUNISH3R
crazynights - Thank you very much. This is my first project car, and I have all these ideas about the mods and its really cool when it all comes together. Just washed her up and about to Megashift her down to Comic Con!
Bat mobile beware! lol. Have you nominated anybody for august COTM?
Old 08-11-2012, 08:45 AM

Car: 92 rs daily driver work in progress
Engine: 3.1 , 204/214 cam
Transmission: 700 r-4, b& m megashifter
Axle/Gears: I want a posi with rear discs

My megashifter sucks. It takes alot to get it out of park and then from neutral to overdrive. Won't go lower than od.
The previous owner screwed the pooch somehow during install I guess.
I've heard if they're set up right they're killer. But as mine sits, I hate the shifter.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:18 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC
Engine: LSX 6.0 370, TU2 Cam, Fast intake
Transmission: T56 w/ lots of goodies
Axle/Gears: 8.8, Posi, 4.10, 31 Spline

Man that looks good. If my car was still auto id do mine the same way
Old 08-12-2012, 02:17 AM

Cadaver Puncher - get in there and fix it! It took some fine turning but the Megashifter in my Bird shifts super smooth. Its awesome ratchetting it thru the gears.

6SIX6 - I'd trade up for a stick any day, Bro.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:31 PM

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4

In the quest to make my 89 Firebird Formula look more like a the X-Men Stealth SR-71 Blackbird Aircraft (LOL) I decided on going with a B&M Megashifter B&M 80692 to trick out my interior a little more and make driving my automatic more fun with a ratchet shifter. I kinda do my mods by what I can find a good deal on on thirdgen.org, craigslist and ebay or the junk yard. And fellow third gen'r, CoolBall, just so happened to have a Megashifter for sale out of his parts Camero and no use for it since his p1mp Camaro is a stick (yes, I'm jealous). So he gave me a real good deal, I ordered it up and he had it on my doorstep in a week.

Not a huge fan of logos or stickers (looks to Joe Dirtish to me...don't get me wrong, I love Joe Dirt, but you know what I mean...my old formula was a rolling advertisement!), so I started out by JB welding the "B&M" logo off the T-handle. I brain stormed other ways I could have covered it (I have a friend who is a pro-leather wrapper or padding, etc) but I like the steel feel of the shifter, over the plastic/rubber feel of the stock one, so went with JB welding the "B&M" away. I was reassured powdercoat would stick to J.B. Weld.

After using acetone to make sure I removed all the red paint off the "B&M", (I didn't want it bubbling out or expanding in the powdercoat oven), I mixed and poured the JB weld into the logo, let it dry for 24hrs and sat on my deck for a weekend sanding it down smooth. I started with course sandpaper - all the way down to 800 grit. While I was at it, I sanded off all the chrome that was showing on all parts above the boot.

Then to the powdercoater to get done all Matte Black (R.W. Little Powdercoating in San Diego - unbeatable prices! Tossed my buddy's Ducati parts and my other buddy's Jeep parts in the powdercoat bin also - more parts the cheaper for everyone) and after a week I got it all back. It looks killer!

While the parts were at powder coat, I double checked the operation of the shifter, tightened bolts and screws and added more greese, all while studing the installation instructions and threads online.

Also, the gear indicator on the Megashifter was a orange sticker that was all faded and actually fell off on me, so I painted the indicator with white nail polish...don't ask why, I guess because some chick left it in the house?!?!? Hahaha! But it came perfect. The white looks better than the orange in my all black car.

I also ordered the B&M 3ft Super Duty Race Shifter Cable B&M 80831 (so I didn't have to loop it around the transmission), a new B&M Boot B&M 80668 (the old one had a little tear and I'm @nal about that stuff), a Shifter Transmission Bracket and Lever Kit B&M 20462 (didn't have the old one) and a Jam Strait Hyper-Bright red LED bulb 194RH for the display window.

Did the whole install at the auto-hobby shop on base with my buddy. Installed the shifter Saturday and wired the Neutral safety switch, back-up lights and display light Sunday.

Installaion wasn't too hard but I'm glad my friend was there as an extra set of hands and eyeballs to help. Having the car on a lift was money too. I don't know why in the instructions it states "Will not fit in Formulas" because it fits perfect. I drilled new holes for the front bracket, cut the console with a dremel and cut and spliced the wires. It all worked out...so far.

Its all done and pretty awesome! I have a 2din DVD/NAV unit in the car and this shifter makes it way easier to see the screen for some reason. I was ratcheting that thing all over town today!

I think the Megashifter is awesome, WELL worth it if you want to make your automatic "shiftable" when you feel like it. When you don't feel like shifting, just pop it into drive and go! It totally looks sinister sitting up there on your console!
Nice
Old 08-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 T/A WS6 T-Tops/92 RS
Engine: LB9/3.1
Transmission: 700R4/700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73/3.23

looks good man-love that shifter. The all black makes it look even better.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:09 AM

Car: 92 rs daily driver work in progress
Engine: 3.1 , 204/214 cam
Transmission: 700 r-4, b& m megashifter
Axle/Gears: I want a posi with rear discs

Wouldn't know where to begin. I took it out, made sure the cable wasn't messed up. Reinstalled, still the same. Couldn't get reverse light to line up and not be on during normal driving. So will have to connected to a toggle switch. I'm about to say screw it and save some money for a b&m pro ratchet. Or switch to an electric 700r4 and get a pushbutton us shift plate.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver Puncher
Wouldn't know where to begin. I took it out, made sure the cable wasn't messed up. Reinstalled, still the same. Couldn't get reverse light to line up and not be on during normal driving. So will have to connected to a toggle switch. I'm about to say screw it and save some money for a b&m pro ratchet. Or switch to an electric 700r4 and get a pushbutton us shift plate.

It's funny you mentioned this! Mine started showing the back-up lights in PARK, NEUTRAL and REVERSE. When I'm in park at like Walmart everyone thinks I'm backing up and gets all freaked out! They round up their children!

What's the fix? Shouldn't be too hard, is it? I'm still fighting my 3rd gen Firebird prototype Intellitronix digital dash install every weekend!

Cadaver Puncher - What's the fix?
Old 10-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 375 Likes on 303 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

I had that shifter and it worked good for 2 yrs and thats limited driving for me. Then started to not beable to shift into park or first depending on cable alignment. Could get one but not the other. Then it started missing shifts when slammed for the next gear. Couldnt figure it out so i replaced it for a turboaction cheetah. Well worth it although it doesnt look as good it functions like a dream and silky smooth. No more arm work outs wrestling it gear to gear like b&m
Old 10-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '85 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.23

That looks awesome! Excellent work!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
I had that shifter and it worked good for 2 yrs and thats limited driving for me. Then started to not beable to shift into park or first depending on cable alignment. Could get one but not the other. Then it started missing shifts when slammed for the next gear. Couldnt figure it out so i replaced it for a turboaction cheetah. Well worth it although it doesnt look as good it functions like a dream and silky smooth. No more arm work outs wrestling it gear to gear like b&m
Orr89RocZ - Those turboaction cheetah shifters look pretty cool! Any pics?

85_ZED28 - Thanks, man.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:57 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 375 Likes on 303 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

I am working on final install and getting console back in. The way the cable is run i may have to trim center console storage bin to get it to seat right. I also have to trim the shifter bracket to allow my window switches to sit right as well. It doesnt have a place for reverse lights switch. Gonna have to get creative for that one. Not an easy bolt in like the b&m but so far it was worth it
Old 10-16-2012, 11:28 AM

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4

I have the same shifter in my 92 RS, but once in awhile it stops working as it should. It will not move through the gears without pulling up on she leaver, so I can not go through the gears if I choose to. It will go into Drive, Park, Neutral and Rev. so it can be driven. But this is the second time, so I need to find the problem.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:09 AM

Car: 89 Formula WS6
Engine: LQ4 h/c/i
Transmission: TH-FO-HUNNIT
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Hey dude, where did you know how to drill for the new megashifter shift cover? Did you put the shifter together, then put the cover down and drill holes according to that? It'd be awesome if you could give me any advice on putting this together and all. Thanks in advance, man!
Old 11-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts
Car: 92 Lingenfelter Z28 articwhite
Engine: Aluminum 615BBC
Transmission: Th400wbrake/curri entps9" locker
Axle/Gears: 4.11/4.30/4.56

17+ years of drag racing/cruising. and still Glass Smooth shifting on My Mega Shifter.
even the GF. Has Driven the 10 sec Street Car to Get Her Nails DONE! (I WAS 10 min late getting home one day.)..not cool!! shes a ex now....lol
Old 11-27-2013, 04:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 RS
Engine: 4 bolt 350, .060 over
Transmission: 700R-4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by Dakota W.

I have the shifter in my 91' and love it! Built a 400/420 .060 over 4 bolt 350 mated to a 700-r4, just need a posi now since it spins the tire at the 6000 shift point and can't hook off the line. Nice job shaving and blacking it out, I agree with the "no plastic *****" comment.
Roy