Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Map pocket elastic repair guide.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Map pocket elastic repair guide.

I had a look at my map pocket which like most, the elastic has stretched out completely. I decided the elastic needed replacing and figured out an easy as pie way of doing it.

This was done on the pocket for a 91 Trans Am. Some of the older styles have a flap which likely doesn't have elastic, or have a sunglass looking pocket on the front. You may be able to use this method on other styles as well. If you can see the elastic at all, anywhere, you can probably do this although they may be a bit more difficult, need more finagling and likely have tighter areas to work with.

This took me maybe 15 minutes at most.

First you need to buy some 3/8 inch braided black elastic, exactly like factory. Such as seen in this link.
http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Braided-.../dp/B004KVM4FE
I bought mine off Ebay and bought considerably less, although this is the same brand I notice.

Next you need your map pocket removed of course, a stapler and some needle and thread.

Grab the elastic, still stapled, and pull it back and forth to make sure it moves freely and slides back and forth and isn't stuck or glued down somewhere.

Whatever you do, do NOT pull the old elastic out before doing the next part and do not pull it out the wrong way or you'll wind up sad and probably cursing up a storm.

Remove the staples holding it together. Take one end of the old elastic and one end of the new and lay about an inch of the new over the old and sew them together. Not in a lump, but nice and flat. Sew it along the edges, both sides is best. Make sure you tie the thread off properly and tightly.

Give both ends you just sewed together a few tugs and make sure they hold together. Now grab the other end of the old elastic that you didn't sew and pull. This will pull the new elastic through the path behind the old elastic. It may get a bit stuck when the sewed sections have to make the 2 U turns. Tug a bit harder or, if you can see the elastic inside the front of the pocket along the sides you can pull from there to get it past the turn and then continue.

Pull untill you have all of the old elastic out and the new elastic is through. Clip the threads off or cut the sewed end off, whichever.

Now make it like it used to look. You'll need to do your own testing to determine proper tightness. But you WILL need to pull it tight on both ends to get a good fit and good snap back from the front of the pocket. Once you think you have it right, take both ends, overlap them while holding them tight and place one staple right in the middle. Remember, on the old elastic, at least on mine, they did not just staple the ends together, they pulled had a long length on either side of the center staple, with the other ends pulled tight and 2 staples holding those ends in place.

Anyway, place one staple in the center and test the fit and elasticity. If it doesn't feel quite right, remove the staple and pull the ends even tighter. Just make sure you aren't going all Hercules and pulling them so tight there is no snap back.

Once you have the cirrect tightness, make it look factory. One staple in the center, and 2 each on the ends. Just remember to pull the ends tight as well because they will help the center staple from sliding loose.

Now you've got brand new factory elastic and a properly looking and functioning map pocket. This may be useable on other style of map pocket, the overhead sunglass pocket, or anything else. Even if you can't see the back side of the pocket or whatever it is, if you can open the pocket and see elastic through the openings in the sides you can do this. On those styles, you could pull the elastic through enough to clip it in half, sew a new piece on and pull it through that way. Just make sure you use the correct size braided elastic. 3/8 may not be used on all parts.

I'll add pictures of my finished pocket in a bit once I take them.