Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Wire removal for dash removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC-Z28
Wire removal for dash removal

Dash is dangling and ready to come out, but I can't figure out how to get the wires out the way on the drivers side so it will be removed. I thought this was going to be a piece of cake, turning out to be one of the biggest pain in the *** things I have done on this car. My searches haven't been able to help me.

Please assist me fellow thirdgenners! thanks!
Old 03-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,863 Likes on 1,419 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Wire removal for dash removal

That's because the wiring is SUPPOSED TO come out with the dash. That's how the factory put it together. If you do it that way, it's a total piece o cake.

Locate the bulkhead connector; down by the driver's left foot, about 4 - 5" square with about a million wires in it. Go locat the other side of it under the hood. In the center of that, there will be a small screw; 7 or 8mm head if memory serves. Loosen that screw and unplug the 2 plugs that plug into it (one goes to the engine, the other goes to the body, for headlights and turn signals and such). Now get back into the car, and unclip the fuse block that sits on top of that connector (has 2 barbed legs that just sort of grab onto it if I recall correctly). Now remove the 2 screws that hold the bulkhead connector itself to the firewall.

Now remove the dash with the ENTIRE wiring harness, INTACT, still attached to it. You will have to unplug certain things along the way: the ignition switch (2 plugs), the dimmer switch, the Fisher Body plug, the plugs to the radio, the ECM, and the AC ctrl head; and maybe one or 2 others depending on what options your car has.

As said, total piece o cake, and VERY easy to put back, since as said, that's how the car was built in the first place.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:22 PM

Car: 1986 IROC-Z28

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
That's because the wiring is SUPPOSED TO come out with the dash. That's how the factory put it together. If you do it that way, it's a total piece o cake.

Locate the bulkhead connector; down by the driver's left foot, about 4 - 5" square with about a million wires in it. Go locat the other side of it under the hood. In the center of that, there will be a small screw; 7 or 8mm head if memory serves. Loosen that screw and unplug the 2 plugs that plug into it (one goes to the engine, the other goes to the body, for headlights and turn signals and such). Now get back into the car, and unclip the fuse block that sits on top of that connector (has 2 barbed legs that just sort of grab onto it if I recall correctly). Now remove the 2 screws that hold the bulkhead connector itself to the firewall.

Now remove the dash with the ENTIRE wiring harness, INTACT, still attached to it. You will have to unplug certain things along the way: the ignition switch (2 plugs), the dimmer switch, the Fisher Body plug, the plugs to the radio, the ECM, and the AC ctrl head; and maybe one or 2 others depending on what options your car has.

As said, total piece o cake, and VERY easy to put back, since as said, that's how the car was built in the first place.
wow Im wishing I never got myself into this mess now...yikes. Thanks for the help
Old 03-11-2012, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 90 Formula -- tot resto in progress
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4 w/ 2500 stall, by Owen @ ARD
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi disc

I don't know about the fuse block clipping over the bulkhead connector,
since my Formula isn't configured that way. But sofa is spot-on about
the bulk-head connector, and then the collection of secondary connections.

Good luck.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:54 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi 9 bolt PBR

Or do what I did and find someone who has done it before to give you a hand.Its a real PITA if you dont know what your doing
Old 05-04-2012, 11:44 AM

Car: 1989 IROC
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 w/shift kit

my wiring is so bad that all the experts take one look at it and say...sell it....