Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Non-3rd/4th gen seat options

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '92 Camaro Vert
Engine: 305 TBI V8
Non-3rd/4th gen seat options

I currently have a set of Lear Siegler Conteur seats in my 92 camaro vert. I am trying to figure out my options in terms of other seats. I know I can go with racing seats, but IMO those look stupid without a harness, and I'm not putting in a cage. I'm also trying to do something a little more adventurous then just bolting in 4th gen seats.

Ideally, I'd like to get a set of bucket seats with the seat belt built in to the seat to make getting into the back a little easier. I've been thinking about ones from a BMW convertible because they are power, have lumbar, and heat. I'd like to know what all my options are though.

I'd like this thread to serve two purposes:
  1. post pictures of your seats, if you think they are unique. I don't mind if they are 3rd/4th gen or racing seats, I just don't want to see the same thing over again.
  2. Post if you have any stock seats from other vehicles bolted in, or measure seats in your other vehicles to see if they'd fit. As far as I'm concerned, any seat could be adapted to bolt in, as long as it's not too wide that the doors don't close etc.

Oh, and I mostly care about the front seats, but if anyone's done anything different with the rear seats (not including removing them) please post.

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2011, 03:27 AM

Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Non-3rd/4th gen seat options

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/inte...n-3rd-gen.html
Old 07-14-2011, 06:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 1990 - 5.7
Transmission: Tremec TKO
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt - 3:45

http://www.arizenracingsports.com/pa...n/CTGY/CAMPICS
A few guys on the board have these seats and love them, check them out. Not a bad price either for what your getting.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:20 PM

That looks like it's got a lot of information, I'll look through that. However, the intent of that thread was to list seats that will easily bolt in. I don't care about how easy they will be to attach, only that their physical dimensions will fit so I should get a broader list of options.

Originally Posted by Scamo-2.8
http://www.arizenracingsports.com/pa...n/CTGY/CAMPICS
A few guys on the board have these seats and love them, check them out. Not a bad price either for what your getting.
If I do go with racing seats I'll probably get those but like I said I think they look out of place without a harness. Plus, I'm a little concerned that because the headrest isn't adjustable that they will be so tall it'll make back seat passengers even more claustrophobic.

This thread isn't just about what seats I want though, so keep postin'!
Old 07-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 84 camaro, 88 trans am, 98 camaro
Engine: Modded , stock, LSX modded
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4, t-56
Axle/Gears: 327, 308, 373

Help my friend with these. made seat tracks and mock things up cutt and welded. these are OEM seats we found at a junk yard no clue what car we pulled them from wish we remembered

Name:  Picture034.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  52.0 KB

Name:  Picture036.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  53.8 KB

Name:  Picture038.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  54.8 KB
Old 07-14-2011, 04:33 PM

Looks good, but looks it it just barely fit. like the outside track is right up against the door sill.

What do you guys think of these seats: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2701/...ba72bd2aae.jpg

I've only had the Lear Seigler Conteur seats in for like 2 days, but I already LOVE the adjustable bolsters, lumbar support, and leg rest. If I could a seat that offers all of that with a built in belt that would be perfect.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:59 AM

Like I said in the OP I was originally looking for a seat with the seat belt built in, to allow easier access to the rear seats. After doing more thinking, I would much rather prefer to use a harness. This would look better because it would allow for many more seat options, and it would be safer. I really like the idea of the retractable 3 point harnesses that schrothe and corbeau make.

As this is a safety concern, there are a couple things I would like clarified in terms of installation. My Camaro is a convertible, has no roll cage, and I have no intention of adding one. Also, I have no intention of adding a harness bar because it would defeat the purpose of omitting the stock belts to make rear seat access easier.

My first question is; will having the harness with no cage make my car LESS safe? Some have said that the stock belts allow for you to lean to one side in a rollover so you don't land on your head. This makes sense, but what if the top of the seat is higher then the top of your head?

My second question is; is there any way to mount a harness without hindering use of the back seat? I know it has to be a specific angle below your shoulders so it doesn't crush your spine. What if the back of the seat that they go over, or the holes in the seat, arr higher than your shoulders? (I'm not getting an expensive fiberglass or carbon fiber seat, so they will have metal frames) Could the go over your shoulders, up slightly over the seat, then down to the floor? I was thinking of mounting the retractors to the place where the lower seat cushions bolt to the floor. Or, is it possible to have the shoulder belts mount directly to the seat? I was thinking with a 4 point you could just slide headrest guides through the shoulder mounts then into the seat. My main concern with this is that if the seat leans forward there would be nothing holding you back.

These may be stupid questions, but I'd rather ask all the stupid questions I can think of if it means being safer.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:43 AM

Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

to my knowledge, using harnesses without properly securing them would be fatal. properly mounting them i think pretty much means no back seat (or even less access with stock belts)
Old 07-15-2011, 12:29 PM

I agree, an improperly mounted harness would be EXTREMELY damaging, if not fatal, and certainly not worth the risk. If there's anything in your car you shouldn't do a half a$$ job on it's safety stuff. I was thinking that it may be possible to mount them to where the top of the rear belts mount. In '92 convertibles there's a retractor mounter on the hump behind the seat. Mounting the shoulder belts there would provide the correct angle, allow for use of the back seats (without too much inconvenience) and it's a good mounting point because the stock belts are mounted there.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 z28/1992 RS heritage edition
Engine: 350 tpi, 305 tbi
Transmission: 700R4,T5
Axle/Gears: G92

Originally Posted by tekkitan
to my knowledge, using harnesses without properly securing them would be fatal. properly mounting them i think pretty much means no back seat (or even less access with stock belts)
do a removable harness bar...
Old 07-15-2011, 01:15 PM

I was thinking about that, but would there be a way for it to be removed without tools and still be safe? Also, if the intent is to replace stock belts, then when I have passengers I would be limited to only a lap belt.