Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Can someon tell me...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010 | 04:23 PM

Car: 88 T/A. TOTALLED!! (not by me)
Engine: TPI 5.0
Transmission: 700r4 Auto
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi
Can someon tell me...

What is the little button on the dash that has a 'musical note' icon on it, and a slide next to it that says "gain"? I Just bought a nice 88 T/A, it's the first GM F body I have ever owned, and this is the only thing so far that I haven't figured out (what it's for) in the interior. Played around with it, but can't tell that it does anything. I'm guessing it has something to do with the radio??
Thanks,
John C.
Old 09-06-2010 | 04:44 PM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: LH6
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Auburn Posi
Re: Can someon tell me...

Do you have a pic of it? I don't think I've seen it.
Old 09-06-2010 | 07:10 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 RS / 1989 RS
Engine: 3.1L MFI / Vortec 383 TBI
Transmission: T5 / LS-T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 open / 3.73 Eaton posi

I believe that would be for bass control for the upper end stock stereo.
Old 09-06-2010 | 08:23 PM
Supreme Member
20 Year Member

Car: 89 Iroc Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi 9 bolt PBR

Its a gain switch for the pontiac factory performance sound stereo.Looks exactly like the picture.Your radio trim bezel should have a small emblem that says performance sound.There should also be 2 smaller speakers in the rear sail panels that are mounted in a black casing.
Attached Thumbnails Can someon tell me...-img_0742.jpg  
Old 09-06-2010 | 08:33 PM

Here we go. Just found this...
http://www.gtasourcepage.com/modelfeatures.html

look down towards the bottom of the page. It is just above the last item on the page. I don't know why my car has this tho, cause I didn't think that it was a GTA. The title lists the model as Pontiac FTG... I wonder if FTG means Firebird TransAm GTA? It doesn't say GTA on it- just says Trans Am, and 5.0 LITER FI. Does say "performace suspension" on the pass side of the dash too. Did the 'regular' T/A come with these option available also. And was the GTA offered with the 5.0 as an option? Any way to tell GTA by the VIN?

Last edited by 88PontiacT/A; 09-06-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-06-2010 | 09:25 PM

Car: 86 T/A
Engine: 5.0 TPI

My 86 T/A has the performance sound option with the gain control. It's not a GTA only option.
The title name "FTG" is probably an abreviation that the state puts on it. Who knows what it means.
Old 09-06-2010 | 09:57 PM

Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: n/a
Transmission: n/a
Axle/Gears: 3.27, I think

Originally Posted by 88PontiacT/A
Here we go. Just found this...
http://www.gtasourcepage.com/modelfeatures.html

look down towards the bottom of the page. It is just above the last item on the page. I don't know why my car has this tho, cause I didn't think that it was a GTA. The title lists the model as Pontiac FTG... I wonder if FTG means Firebird TransAm GTA? It doesn't say GTA on it- just says Trans Am, and 5.0 LITER FI. Does say "performace suspension" on the pass side of the dash too. Did the 'regular' T/A come with these option available also. And was the GTA offered with the 5.0 as an option? Any way to tell GTA by the VIN?
Do you have side vents on the front fenders? If you do you have a T/A. If you don't have side vents, then it's a Trans Am GTA. This is true if those front fenders are the original fenders.
Old 09-07-2010 | 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by robotic_junky
Do you have side vents on the front fenders? If you do you have a T/A. If you don't have side vents, then it's a Trans Am GTA. This is true if those front fenders are the original fenders.
If you're referring to the vents @ the bottom behind the front wheels, yes my car does have those. It also has the 15" (ugly) factory wheels that are corroded really badly under the clear coating all over. I'm pretty sure that everything is all original cause I bought the car from the original owner and he says that the car has never been wrecked / painted. I used to do a lot of paint / body back in the old days, and if any part of the car has ever been painted, I cant see it...Guess its a "regular" T/A then. That's cool tho, there were a lot less T/A's produced in 88 than there were GTA's. That makes it even more rare.
John C.
Old 09-07-2010 | 04:44 AM

Car: 1991 Firebird
Engine: n/a
Transmission: n/a
Axle/Gears: 3.27, I think

Ya, that's a T/A.

I had a friend in high school that also had a 88 T/A with a 5.0 TPI gray on the body and darker gray on the ground effects. He also had the same 15" rims you had.
Old 09-07-2010 | 09:12 PM

I actually got this car for two reasons;
1) I like it
2) My 15 yr old (soon to be 16) son likes it too.

When he turns 16 in a few months this will be HIS 1st car. I'ts something that we can work on, fix up and modify together. He can't wait to get a part-time job so he can start spending his money on it! Exhaust and new wheels and tires are our first priorities. I really like that he is interested, because I have been into cars since before I was his age, and I have tried to interest him in them, but to no avail... until about the last year or so and now he as finally decided that he wants to learn about them.

He decided about a year ago that he wanted to get a 1999-2004 Mustang GT. I like mustangs too (he wanted one because I have a 1990 GT thats a W.I.P. in the garage), but I convinced him that the T/A would pull just as much, if not more attention once it was fixed up 'cause there are a lot of mustangs around here, and almost NO third gen F body cars. Plus, it will be emissions exempt soon too. Hell, I don't really even want to let him have it because I want to drive it!! I Might just have to try to find another one for ME!

Sorry I got off topic.....
John C.
Old 09-07-2010 | 09:20 PM

Car: 86 T/A
Engine: 5.0 TPI

Originally Posted by 88PontiacT/A
I actually got this car for two reasons;
1) I like it
2) My 15 yr old (soon to be 16) son likes it too.

When he turns 16 in a few months this will be HIS 1st car. I'ts something that we can work on, fix up and modify together. He can't wait to get a part-time job so he can start spending his money on it! Exhaust and new wheels and tires are our first priorities. I really like that he is interested, because I have been into cars since before I was his age, and I have tried to interest him in them, but to no avail... until about the last year or so and now he as finally decided that he wants to learn about them.

He decided about a year ago that he wanted to get a 1999-2004 Mustang GT. I like mustangs too (he wanted one because I have a 1990 GT thats a W.I.P. in the garage), but I convinced him that the T/A would pull just as much, if not more attention once it was fixed up 'cause there are a lot of mustangs around here, and almost NO third gen F body cars. Plus, it will be emissions exempt soon too. Hell, I don't really even want to let him have it because I want to drive it!! I Might just have to try to find another one for ME!

Sorry I got off topic.....
John C.
Quality time in the garage with your son, working on a project and sharing your knowledge .... priceless!
I hope both your dreams come true.
Old 09-07-2010 | 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by 1piece@atime
Quality time in the garage with your son, working on a project and sharing your knowledge .... priceless!
I hope both your dreams come true.
Thanks man!As soon as I get some free time and some decent weather, I will be taking some pics of the car and posting them on the site. It may be a few days tho...
John C.