Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

brights stuck on...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 camaro rs 25 aniversary
Engine: 305
Transmission: auto
brights stuck on...

when i bought the car my bright swich did not work then one day while driving and messing with it i got them to turn on... now they wont turn off. ive heard something about a pin that needs to be adjusted in the wiper swich. does any one have a manual to reset the swich so i may turn my brights on and off?
Old 08-11-2010, 09:42 AM

Car: 1991 chevy rs camaro
Engine: 350 tpi 5.7
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 373
Re: brights stuck on...

my brothers 97 camaro did that but we just went and bought a new switch. idk if u can adjust it or not but id like to know as well for future reference if you can adjust this. please post when u fix the problem on how u did this
Old 08-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

If you have a tilt wheel, tilt the wheel in another position and try it.

What happens (especially in the tilt wheel cars) is that the rod has a hard time clicking the switch.

The lever pushes a rod that runs down the column - the actual switch is at the base of the column just above the brake pedal. If you get your head in the footwell, and pull on the lever, you'll see the rod moving, and see the switch. There are 2 little 7mm screws that hold the switch in place - loosen those, and slide the whole switch a tad to adjust.

You want to adjust it so that the rod is actuating the switch at the tilt position you use to normally drive (if you have a tilt wheel).
Old 08-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock

The switch eventually works loose and needs adjusting. When you pull the lever, it pushes a rod that goes down the steering column and pushes the switch causing it to click on and off. The switch has elongated holes for adjusting. Two little 7 or 8mm or I think 9/32" bolts hold it in place. You have to remove the panel under the steering wheel(5 T-28 torx bolts) to get to it. Feel around and find the rod and switch while pulling the lever and you'll see how it works. You can push in the switch to make sure it works Ok. Some people like to get in upside down to fix it, I find it much easier to drop the column, and while sitting in the drivers seat then look down the top of the column while reaching underneath to loosen the bolts, slide the switch forward to take up the slack, and then tighten in place. Don't crank down on the bolts/screws too hard and strip them out, just get them snug. If it tests out OK, button it up. Have fun

Sorry to repeat as above, I took a break while typing and I do that slow anyway!
Old 08-13-2010, 07:40 AM

Car: 92 camaro rs 25 aniversary
Engine: 305
Transmission: auto

well i do have a tilt steering wheel and adjusting it (to the top setting) allowed me to toggle my brights. so wanted to say thank you for the suggestion, will work on getting into the column when i have some more time.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:20 PM

Indeed, I accidentally got mine stuck on (82 Trans Am vin H) and while tilting the steering wheel did not seem to work all on its own, I did manipulate the windshield cleaner sprayer action and manage to get a click. Success!! Now I can drive at night without feeling guilty

Thanks for all the input. Now to try and dig in and do the adjustment as prescribed above...