Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

'92 Z28 headlight problem, HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009 | 06:30 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '02 Z06
'92 Z28 headlight problem, HELP!!

Hey all, just picked up a '92 Z28 today. For whatever reason, one of the previous owners had been toying with the headlight switch, so when I got the car the headlight **** and switch assembly that it mounts to were not secure (basically just dangling freely in the dash behind the plastic gauge surround trim.) So the headlights still worked when i got the car, but I tried to fix the problem and remount the **** back into it's place on the plastic gauge surround trim to the left of the steering wheel. On my old '91 Z28 I cold simply give the headlight **** a good tug and it would come free from the "rod" that it connects to. So I thought, ok I'll simply do this again to remove the ****, reinsert the rod into it's proper location on the trim peice, and then just simply snap the **** back on the rod like I could do with my old car. Well I pulled on the ****, and it pulled the whole entire rod out of the headlight switch assembly behind the dash with it! Now I can't get that rod to snap back into place and I have no way of turning on my headlights!!

I did a search on here and found out that there is a little black button on the bottom of the switch assembly that releases that rod, so obviously, I must have broken the switch assembly by forcing the rod out right? Where would I get one of these switches and how do you folks recommend removing it and replacing it? It appears as though removing the gauge cluster is the only way...?
Old 02-26-2009 | 02:38 PM
Banned

Car: 1992 Camaro RS & 1994 Mazda 626
Engine: 305 TBI V8 / 2.0 4-cyl.
Transmission: 700R4 / I have no idea
Axle/Gears: Stock 2.73 / I don't know
Re: '92 Z28 headlight problem, HELP!!

Originally Posted by Gr89RS
Hey all, just picked up a '92 Z28 today. For whatever reason, one of the previous owners had been toying with the headlight switch, so when I got the car the headlight **** and switch assembly that it mounts to were not secure (basically just dangling freely in the dash behind the plastic gauge surround trim.) So the headlights still worked when i got the car, but I tried to fix the problem and remount the **** back into it's place on the plastic gauge surround trim to the left of the steering wheel. On my old '91 Z28 I cold simply give the headlight **** a good tug and it would come free from the "rod" that it connects to. So I thought, ok I'll simply do this again to remove the ****, reinsert the rod into it's proper location on the trim peice, and then just simply snap the **** back on the rod like I could do with my old car. Well I pulled on the ****, and it pulled the whole entire rod out of the headlight switch assembly behind the dash with it! Now I can't get that rod to snap back into place and I have no way of turning on my headlights!!

I did a search on here and found out that there is a little black button on the bottom of the switch assembly that releases that rod, so obviously, I must have broken the switch assembly by forcing the rod out right? Where would I get one of these switches and how do you folks recommend removing it and replacing it? It appears as though removing the gauge cluster is the only way...?
My RS had the same problem. Cost me like $25 to fix because I was too lazy to do it myself. Day I picked my car up, it was getting dark and I went to pull the **** and it fell on the floor! Lol... I think we drove it home at like 100mph...
Old 02-26-2009 | 03:19 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87IROC, 740iBMW, 328iBMW, 86GMC
Engine: 5.7, 4.4LV8, 2.8, 6.0
Transmission: Manuals & Auto's
Axle/Gears: 3.27, 3.42
Re: '92 Z28 headlight problem, HELP!!

Two options: New or used switch assembly. It's not that hard to replace, just takes time mostly. You can do it.

For my money, I'd spend a couple of extra bucks and get a brand new part (that's what I did) and buy it from the GM parts dealer. Or, you can shop around but when it comes to used electronics and well worn parts like this.. well, new just seems like cheap insurance.

Good luck