Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

carpet advice??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carpet advice??

well first ive got a red carpet in my 85 T/A and first need a good remedy to get old coffee/cola out of a carpet and want to dye it to most likely a dark purple and thought about just adding a blue on top and make a purple but i wont know what color it would turn till it was already on so if i bleach the carpet and make my own purple then spray and scrub but i dont know what type of dye to use an old friend that works at a car shop he said use a rit dye but ive read that it dosent like to adhere evenly and it dosent like to stay just on the carpet as in it transfer onto other objects anybody have any advice or good dyes because im pretty sure its a stock carpet and i know its not cotton is why rit wont work but dose anyone know what material it is and if you can what dye to use
Old 09-26-2008, 08:38 AM

Re: carpet advice??

rit works on lots of different materials, i've used it to color shoes and it even gets into the rubber. but it would sure take a lot of it to do an entire carpet...
Old 09-26-2008, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by nope
rit works on lots of different materials, i've used it to color shoes and it even gets into the rubber. but it would sure take a lot of it to do an entire carpet...
well im not sure what treatments house carpets use i checked yahoo awnsers and that what it was about but they said it transfers on to your clothes how dose that work and if it would wokr even if i had to get 1-- packs of rit dye it would be cheaper than a ne carpet haha if you have tried it on automotive carpet or know someone pleasa let me know ive been excited to get started but im awaiting good news maybe a sealer treatment over the dye hmmm these sites are awesom for brainstorming
Old 09-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt, 3.45

A buddy of mine tried to dye his tan carpet black using rit dye, and it didn't work at all. We let it soak overnight in a plastic tub of the dye, and the next day when we went to hose off the excess dye, it all washed off. Well, most of it did, it wound up just looking like really nasty tan carpet afterwards.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ward
A buddy of mine tried to dye his tan carpet black using rit dye, and it didn't work at all. We let it soak overnight in a plastic tub of the dye, and the next day when we went to hose off the excess dye, it all washed off. Well, most of it did, it wound up just looking like really nasty tan carpet afterwards.
thank you you probably just saved me a from quite a good pain it sounds like

has he found any other typs or brands of dye hes lookin at or tried
Old 09-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 371 Likes on 282 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

The best way to clean a rug; hose it down and use a wet-dry vacuum to remove the water..... Repeat. If the water in the vacuum is still brown, repeat again. Once the rug is "clean" and the excess water is sucked out use 2-3 towels to hand dry it as well as you can. (I usually remove the seats from the car so I can get to the whole rug. )

When it comes to dying the regs - I've used the "fabric-color" with good results. It's supposed to be a spay can dye for plastic & fabric. I HAVE ONLY USED BLACK and GREY. Black works great ( hard to cover over red ) and the Grey looked like crap. This stuff WILL wear out over time - but it does work pretty nice. I used it on the seats and door panels in my last project car :

Old 09-28-2008, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by John in RI
The best way to clean a rug; hose it down and use a wet-dry vacuum to remove the water..... Repeat. If the water in the vacuum is still brown, repeat again. Once the rug is "clean" and the excess water is sucked out use 2-3 towels to hand dry it as well as you can. (I usually remove the seats from the car so I can get to the whole rug. )

When it comes to dying the regs - I've used the "fabric-color" with good results. It's supposed to be a spay can dye for plastic & fabric. I HAVE ONLY USED BLACK and GREY. Black works great ( hard to cover over red ) and the Grey looked like crap. This stuff WILL wear out over time - but it does work pretty nice. I used it on the seats and door panels in my last project car :

hey hey finally some good news thank you ive been asking this question everywhere for a few months but what was the cost an how much did you need and how long did the color last and did it just fade or did it rub off?
Old 10-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 371 Likes on 282 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

I can't tell you exactly how much of the spray dye I used...... This interior was completely grey and the parts I dyed are the seats ( middle front, top & bottom on all seats as well as the whole back and sides of all seats ) the front and rear carpets (rugs were black already ) the speaker panels, the sun visors and the lower 1/2 of the door panels. I'm 'guestimating' that I used 5-6 cans of dye at about $6 a can.

The color lasts for awhile if you take your time and put a couple layers of color on stuff.... It's best applied when you spray it on front at least 2 different angles - or directions. The more use/abuse it gets the quicker it will fade. ( it doesn't really "rub off".) It will fade over time - but as long as you take your time when you first do the work, re-applying a coat to darken it again is really quick & easy.

The picture I posted was taken in early June. Since than I've put a little under 1000 miles on the car and the drivers seat is JUST starting to show a slight bit of fading. But for about $36 worth of dye, It was MUCH cheaper than buying and installing black interior parts in the car !

Good Luck !