Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

gas guage 82-92 fixed

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gas guage 82-92 fixed

hello i got an 86 iroc and used to have a 84 z28 had this problem twice so im guessing it is common on camaros and alot of people r asking how to fix or what the problem was it is simple b4 you drop your gas tank check your guag cluster on the back of it theres that plastic with the copper running through it chances are this needs to be replaced im guessing this is common cause who hasnt taken thier dash apart for one reason or another the copper gets damaged when you take out the cluster or from general wear and tear any way when it gets damaged this causes your gas guage to read straight up and if you have a look on the back of your cluster you will see the connection for the guage and if you follow it it runs right on the edge of the plastic thats where the damage occurs then if you follow it to the end its the 4th one in from right 2 left on the bottom its a pink wire now how you choose to fix it i soldered a new wire from the gas guage to the copper where it connects to harness not to the harness though or you can just run a new ground to the guage or get a new palstic with the copper in it all i did was take the cluster apart pull the clear plastic then the plack metal housing then when you r lookingat gas guage you can see the the commection its on the left side use your test light if your guage comes down than there you go this is just my experience hope this helps
Old 08-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 IROC Z28
Engine: 357 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi
Re: gas guage 82-92 fixed

Originally Posted by irocz4c
hello i got an 86 iroc and used to have a 84 z28 had this problem twice so im guessing it is common on camaros and alot of people r asking how to fix or what the problem was it is simple b4 you drop your gas tank check your guag cluster on the back of it theres that plastic with the copper running through it chances are this needs to be replaced im guessing this is common cause who hasnt taken thier dash apart for one reason or another the copper gets damaged when you take out the cluster or from general wear and tear any way when it gets damaged this causes your gas guage to read straight up and if you have a look on the back of your cluster you will see the connection for the guage and if you follow it it runs right on the edge of the plastic thats where the damage occurs then if you follow it to the end its the 4th one in from right 2 left on the bottom its a pink wire now how you choose to fix it i soldered a new wire from the gas guage to the copper where it connects to harness not to the harness though or you can just run a new ground to the guage or get a new palstic with the copper in it all i did was take the cluster apart pull the clear plastic then the plack metal housing then when you r lookingat gas guage you can see the the commection its on the left side use your test light if your guage comes down than there you go this is just my experience hope this helps
Well I've had this problem with my RS (sold) and my IROC and both times it was in fact the sending unit. I think after being wash in gasoline for 20 years they just wear out.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC-Z
Engine: 370 LSX, LS3 Top End
Transmission: Built T-56
Axle/Gears: 9" Aluminum Center 3.89's

Wow that was a really long sentence
Old 08-20-2008, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by 89ROC-Z
Wow that was a really long sentence
wow then you sit here and do the punctuation smart ***
Old 08-20-2008, 01:12 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Z28
Engine: L69 305 H.O.
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by irocz4c
wow then you sit here and do the punctuation smart ***
No, really. You do need to use some punctuation. Anyway, what wear and tear would there be if the cluster hasn't been removed?
Old 08-20-2008, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin84Z28
No, really. You do need to use some punctuation. Anyway, what wear and tear would there be if the cluster hasn't been removed?
no i dont
and have you ever owned a camaro anyone who has had one knows the dash rattles and shakes around over time which causes wear and tear besides that every camaro on the road has been taken apart at least once for one reason or another i have owned 4 camaros so far and have 3 other buddies who have camaros as well so out of 7 camaros i have had to fix this problem 5 times out of 7 cars so you tell me thats one of the reasons people sell em there to scared it gonna cost money to fix when it is an easy fix
Old 08-20-2008, 11:27 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS, 66 Mustang, 78 t/a
Engine: 5.0 TBI, 289, 400
Transmission: 700R4, C4, th350

PLEASE use some commas and those dots called periods. It hurts to try and figure out where out where your sentence ends. Everything just collides dude. It isn't hard to press those important keys. I have no idea what your first post is about because it just hurts to read a run on sentence.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:51 PM

Received 181 Likes on 133 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Your sentence structure sucks and if you want people to read your posts, then I suggest that you DO use punctuation. You're off to a great start here, newbie!! And in response to your post about every Camaro on the road has been taken apart once, is just plain ignorance. I have one that has never been apart! Of the 6 Camaros that I've owned, only one had the dash out. It was a 69 and was out just to be cleaned.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:40 PM

Car: 1992 Rs
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
Your sentence structure sucks and if you want people to read your posts, then I suggest that you DO use punctuation. You're off to a great start here, newbie!! And in response to your post about every Camaro on the road has been taken apart once, is just plain ignorance. I have one that has never been apart! Of the 6 Camaros that I've owned, only one had the dash out. It was a 69 and was out just to be cleaned.
You know I have a question Scott. Why is it every time I read a post on the interior thread it always seems your pissed? I totally understand he needs sentence structure but i'm talking about other threads. It just seems really unfriendly around here in this section of the forums.

Sorry just had to ask.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:19 PM

Received 181 Likes on 133 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Originally Posted by Sonymaster20
You know I have a question Scott. Why is it every time I read a post on the interior thread it always seems your pissed? I totally understand he needs sentence structure but i'm talking about other threads. It just seems really unfriendly around here in this section of the forums.

Sorry just had to ask.
You must not be reading all of my posts. Because of what you stated, I did a search for posts made by me in the Interior forums and found 2 that I had an attitude. Would you believe that both were to new members that came in here thinking they knew all the answers? One user comments on the fact that the post was one long sentence and he responds with a pissy attitude. Real smart for a newbie. The other post was from someone that was absolutely sure the wood grain interior in his car was factory. When told that it wasn't, he attempts to call me a loser! It's amazing that these new guys that recently joined TGO know so much more than those of us that have been here for 10 years and when challenged, we're the losers.