Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

91 camaro convertible z28 .. new nordskog digital dash .. dash removal question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008 | 04:09 PM

Car: 91 Camaro Z28 Convt.
Engine: 305 TPI (built)
Transmission: 5 spd
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi
91 camaro convertible z28 .. new nordskog digital dash .. dash removal question?

how do you get the headlight switch "****" off ..

the dealer mechanic told me there is a button on the side of the switch ..

ive looked for a good hour and cant find it ..

can anyone that has done this before tell me exactly where it is ..

thanks ..

i got my digital gauge cluster today .. and im eager to install it but cant get the dash apart b/c the headlight switch is holdin me up ..
Old 01-29-2008 | 08:20 PM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: 2012 Corvette
Engine: LS3
Transmission: TR6060
Re: 91 camaro convertible z28 .. new nordskog digital dash .. dash removal question?

Pull out the fog light switch, and look on the bottom of the headlight switch. There is a little spring loaded button sticking out of the bottom of the headlight switch. Turn the headlights on, press the button, and then pull the **** out. You can gently push the **** back in and turn the headlights off without locking it back into the switch.

Could you post up some pictures of the cluster? Before you install and and after? I bought one of these a while back but got screwed and ended up getting my money back. What color did you get?

Last edited by compuwiz1937; 01-29-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-29-2008 | 08:54 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 RS / 1989 RS
Engine: 3.1L MFI / Vortec 383 TBI
Transmission: T5 / LS-T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 open / 3.73 Eaton posi
Re: 91 camaro convertible z28 .. new nordskog digital dash .. dash removal question?

I'm interested to see this too. I have the Dakota Digital cluster in my 92 RS since about 2004. I like the looks of the Nordskog gauges, but didn't know about them until I already had the Dakota Digital piece. I understand that installation is very similar.
Old 01-29-2008 | 09:28 PM

yea i'd be glad to take pictures ..

i sure did wait a LOOOOONG time to get this thing ..

i "pre ordered" it back in november last year .. and it was supposed to ship mid december ..

according to nordskog .. they only make the 91 - 92 dash panel once a year .. starting december .. and they only make a limited quantity ..

i almost got restless .. but had no alternative b/c my stock one is broken .. tach / speedo .. and the dealer wanted $610 to "fix" it .. NOT REPLACE IT

so $462 (with shipping) sounded awsome for a LIFETIME WARRANTY fully digital cluster ..

ill take pictures and keep yall updated .. if all goes to plan ill start tommorow after high school .. (im 17) ..

and thanks for the detailed instructions on how to get that headlight **** out .. the dealer mechanic told me ..(exact quote)

"umm .. hmmm .. ummm .. i think thurs a .. umm .. thing u gotta press on it .. umm .. yea " ..

so you can see how helpfull they are .. especially when u just paid them $80 to tell you itll be $600 to fix it ..

i HATE dealerships .. lol

neways .. thanks again ..

and ill get some pics up tommorow of it before it goes in .. and after if i get that far ..

EDIT: forgot to add .. i got the RED one .. took them a month to get the LED's b/c they kept failing there quality check and nordskog kept sending them back to HP or whoever makes them ..

but i was happy to wait b/c that just shows me atleast there making a quality product .. looks REALLY nice when i took it out the box .. im anxious to see it actually work ..
Old 01-29-2008 | 09:44 PM
Supreme Member

You got a good deal there I think. I paid a shade over $900 for mine. I had to supply a ready to install instrument panel and bezel for them to convert, and when they say 90 day turn around time, it really is. It also carries a lifetime warranty.
Old 01-29-2008 | 10:27 PM

yea ... mine is a circuit board panel with all the LED's / gauges on it, a new temps sender, a toggle switch (for the 0-60, 1/4 mile ET, and top speed features) and a blacked out piece of plexiglass that goes over the panel so it has a "black out" appearance when you switch the panel off ..

it all came profesionally boxed / packaged .. everything has its own bag and all sits between two pieces of foam .. and about 5 pages of instructions on exactly where to connect each wire .. and what everything does / how to calibrate the speedometer if you got different gears, transmission, tires, etc ..
Old 01-30-2008 | 06:43 PM

ok .. got the cluster out .. and ive been grinding on it and fitting the new panel for a couple hours now ..

basically you take out all the original gauges .. and clearance a few things and i hot glue'd it in place ..

but i had the bright idea of keeping my turn signal / high beam indicator / check engine light by cutting the original decals off of the old gauges and gluing them on ..

then i put the cover on (dont think your supposed to) but it looks friggen awsome .. pics dont do it justice ..

but i have a problem .. just found out they didnt put on a wire for the coolant gauge ... so i gotta call them or email them .. and somehow find out where it goes and solder me a wire on the board .. not worried about it at all .. except ive allready drilled / cut the board to fit the way i wanted it .. and its got a good bit of glue holding it in ..

ill get a pic once i solve the wire problem and get it lit up ..
Attached Thumbnails 91 camaro convertible z28 .. new nordskog digital dash .. dash removal question?-104_0833.jpg   91 camaro convertible z28 .. new nordskog digital dash .. dash removal question?-104_0834.jpg   91 camaro convertible z28 .. new nordskog digital dash .. dash removal question?-104_0841.jpg  
Old 01-30-2008 | 06:46 PM

ok ..and heres a couple when i got it together ..

kinda pissed about that wire though .. but if they tell me where to solder the wire .. problem solved ..

im really gonna be pissed if i have to send it back .. but i dont see why i would have too ..

neways .. the first pic is w/ flash .. and the second is without ..
Attached Thumbnails 91 camaro convertible z28 .. new nordskog digital dash .. dash removal question?-104_0842.jpg   91 camaro convertible z28 .. new nordskog digital dash .. dash removal question?-104_0843.jpg  
Old 01-30-2008 | 06:51 PM

Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: SBC 396 6.5L
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Moser 12Bolt Spool

Hey adrian. Got a quick question. How do you hook up the wires on the new cluster? Does it come with a plug. i seen it up on ebay and it says its a direct fit but from your pics it doesnt look direct at all...... Not a big deal for me but was just wondering because i will also buy one and want to know what im up against before hand .

Oh mine is a 87 iroc 305 tpi. Dash is a lil differnt style wonder if theres a differce in how the kits com togerther?

Last edited by liljon96; 01-30-2008 at 06:56 PM. Reason: forgot to add
Old 01-30-2008 | 07:02 PM

naw .. itll be the same kind of kit ..

just a board w/ the digital guages and any sending units you require ..

basically it all hooks up to the wires that are allready at the dash ..

its not a "plug and play" kind of deal as what you would expect ..

but its really not that hard .. if you know what positive and negative mean then you are more than qualified for this job .. haha ...

basically theres positive (key on) wires, ground wires, sending unit wires (which are allready at the gauge cluster you just gotta splice into them), a headlight "dimmer" 12v wire that dims the LED's when its dark, and a switch for the 0-60, 1/4 mile time features ..

i havent installed it yet .. but ill let you know how dificult it is .. right now i have run into a problem where nordskog forgot a wire on the panel and i cant figure out where it goes .. so ill just wait till they respond to my email and i'll solder me a wire on there ...
Old 01-30-2008 | 07:55 PM

Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: SBC 396 6.5L
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Moser 12Bolt Spool

thankyou adrian
Old 01-30-2008 | 09:51 PM

damn ..

i would HIGHLY recomend nordskog for gauges / or any of their products ..

recieved my digital cluster yesterday and i fitted it today and noticed a wire "missing" from the board ..

so i sent them an email .. expecting a response maybe late tommorow or friday .. you know how businesses go ..

but got a response two hours later at 10:00 at night (way after any business would be open) ..

if you ask me ..NOW THAT IS CUSTOMER SUPPORT ..

and the guy ive been talking to said .. quote

attached are 2 pics that show the location of the blue wire. Let me know if these are good enough to add the wire. Sorry for the inconvenience

and i shall say the pictures showed EXACTLY where the wire goes .. and very clearly ..

two thumbs up to them from me ..

neways .. now i should be able to finish my camaro on time .. and it is looking really good .. if your looking for a replacement cluster for a third gen, i would by another of these panels .. even if i had two camaro's, there would be one in each ..

Old 01-30-2008 | 10:04 PM
Supreme Member

Looking good. Looks similar to mine powered off (pic shows up in my sig randomly with refresh of browser). I like the LED dial around the numbers, I might get one of these for my 89.
Old 01-30-2008 | 10:13 PM

yea .. you can see the gauges in the picture ..

but in person its black ..and you cant see anything ..

the instructions didnt say how to mount the lense / panel or anything specifically .. but i figured out that i can keep all my main functions like indicators / check engine light / high beam light .. and then its fairly simple wiring to hook up all the gauges ..

and if anyone wants to put it back stock in the future .. i havent molested the connectors in the car ..

i'd recommend getting one .. especially for the price .. and they got a lifetime warranty .. unlike the dealer .. and they look cooler ..

i'll take a pic once i get it installed tommorow and powered up .. its supposed to have red led's ..

EDIT: found that picture .. those gauges look really nice .. and i like that bar on top of the speedo / tach .. if mine look that good then i'll be really happy ..

u just sent yours off to be done, didnt you? .. because i had to dissasemble mine and grind on it for a little while then grind / fit them into the "cradle" where the stock gauges were

Last edited by Adrians91Z28; 01-30-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-31-2008 | 12:25 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Adrians91Z28
u just sent yours off to be done, didnt you? .. because i had to dissasemble mine and grind on it for a little while then grind / fit them into the "cradle" where the stock gauges were
Yeah, that may be the difference in price as your assembly is done by you, all I had to do was install and wire it up.
Old 01-31-2008 | 02:56 PM

Car: 91 Camaro vert

This is rilly cool, might get this in the futer... If i do get this i would spray paint the gray panal to a black dont like the gray

Does the gas show up acuretly?

Last edited by cool z; 01-31-2008 at 02:59 PM. Reason: ...
Old 01-31-2008 | 03:47 PM

i fixed the missing wire .. took about two minutes .. just heat up the solder on the board and stick the wire to it .. and its done ..

cool z:

the panel isnt grey .. its the stock black .. its just the camera flash makes it look grey ..

and about the gas guage ... i dont know yet .. im about to wire it up and see how everything works .. but everything should work perfectly .. i dont see why not ..

Al Hasse:

yea .. probably why the difference is .. basically the same concept with the gauges .. but i still wouldnt pay $400 for someone to put it together .. its REALLY easy .. all you need is a dremel and a hot glue gun and a couple hours of "relaxation time" .. lol ..

but then again .. if it was the only one available at the time .. i would pay $900 over the $610 dealer "fix it" price for the original (crap) gauges ..
Old 02-01-2008 | 10:57 AM

installed the cluster this morning

HOLY CRAP .. it looks awsome ..

i love this thing..

i took some pics right after i turned the ignition on for the first time ...

just need to start to check if the oil pressure / tach / speedo work

coolant temp is reading outside temp ..

just gotta put my new temp sensor in and change my spark plugs ... then ill be back on the road

damn i love this car ..
Attached Thumbnails 91 camaro convertible z28 .. new nordskog digital dash .. dash removal question?-104_0846.jpg   91 camaro convertible z28 .. new nordskog digital dash .. dash removal question?-104_0848.jpg  

Last edited by Adrians91Z28; 02-01-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-01-2008 | 01:16 PM

Car: 91 Camaro vert

I rilly like the look of this... do you think we could get the LeDs in a dif color?
Old 02-01-2008 | 03:01 PM

yea .. nordskog makes them in a few different colors ...

i got mine for $462 w/ shipping ..

but i think there is blue, green, red, and maybe yellow .. go to the summit website .. they have them listed on there (but no pics)

and if im not mistaking the blue is like $50 more or something ..

if you got a 91/92 cluster .. then plan on waiting a LOOOOONG time to get it b/c they told me they only make them in december due to the very low demand ..

but i must say the wait is well worth it .. its a very nice product
Old 02-18-2008 | 06:42 AM
15 Year Member

Car: camaro
Engine: 3.1 :(
Axle/Gears: stock

can you show us the dash in action, i mean while driving or so.
wanna see the leds around it light up
Old 02-18-2008 | 09:23 AM
Supreme Member
20 Year Member

Wow, that looks really nice.

I've always liked digital

Hey, had a question for you. What are you going to do with your old gauges?

I'm in the process of converting my cluster to LED, and I had the needle off my batt. gauge. I dropped it, and broke the needle in 2

I was wondering, if you're going to toss your old gauges, would it be possible if you could send me the needles?

Send me a PM if that's possible? I'll pay for the shipping of course.

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2008 | 11:30 AM

ill see what i can do for a video .. its pretty crappy right now b/c when i stomp it .. something wierd happens around 3200 rpm ..

it will stumble for about .5 seconds then shoot all the way to redline as if the tires broke loose ..hahah ..

guess i just need a tune ..

as for the guages .. there lying on my shop floor .. dont know if i have any use for them .. u just want the needle or the whole section .. send me a pm, im sure we could work somethin out ..
Old 08-27-2009 | 08:12 PM

I realize this is an old thread but how did it end up?
Old 08-27-2009 | 08:42 PM

yea this is a little old .. havent been on the site in a while ..

stripped the car last year for paint / restoration ..

got most the way done in college .. but got a job right out of college and the camaro got put in the garage at home collecting dust .. I start it up every now and then but I got a blown injector right now since I left stock injectors on the car after building the motor (cam, heads, exhaust, etc)

as for the gauge cluster .. I love it .. would recommend it to anyone that has gauges that dont work .. very easy to install and looks / works awsome
Old 08-27-2009 | 10:17 PM

Car: 1992 Rs
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Do you have any pictures of the car? I remember the amount of work you did and followed your thread the whole way through. Did you ever finish the body work?
Old 08-28-2009 | 06:12 AM
15 Year Member

about nordskog. I also got the digital dash and I love it 2.
but 3 weeks ago I emailed them about ordering some gauges, but they don't take new orders for the moment,
and when I asked if they where out of business they said yes, fr now they are.

looks like the crisis hit them very hard
Old 08-28-2009 | 11:17 AM

damn .. this recession thing is killin everything

I do know the guage cluster was only made once or twice a year due to the low demand .. had to wait a good 3 months for mine ..

as for the body work .. I got everything painted except the front clip and side skirts .. the front fenders are primed and blocked ..so whenever I get time I'll finish her up

thinking of going to college .. so might have to sell it sometime in the future
Old 08-28-2009 | 02:13 PM
Former Sponsor

That stinks. Those gauges are awesome.
Old 08-28-2009 | 03:29 PM
15 Year Member

you can still get them trough summit if you want 2.
Old 10-09-2009 | 08:57 PM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am Daytona 500
Engine: Crossfire 305ci V8
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 4 speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip/posi

awesome install dude
Old 12-05-2010 | 01:26 PM
Supreme Member
10 Year Member

Car: 1 Owner 1986 TA with a WS6 package
Engine: 5.0 EFI
Transmission: THM700R4
Axle/Gears: 277 Posi Speedo

go to interiors and their you will find the answer.
Old 04-06-2011 | 11:02 PM

Car: 1989 IROC 406 SBC (2012 Fusion)
Engine: 406 Chevy-World Sportsman heads
Transmission: 700R4 B&M, Redline clutches, 2800
Axle/Gears: Australian 9 bolt,I think 3.73

Bought an 89 Iroc with the Nordskog digital display. It seems like it's just a flat glass display, I wonder if I can buy or make the trim, those half circle shapes to dress it up. Just got the car today, so far the tach isn't working, the gas is at 99 so it's not working, the oil-water-speedo are all working fine though. I have a separate gas guage..... can I buy dress up for the dash? Like I said it's just a glass panel without separation between the different readings for speedo, gas, oil pressure, etc.
Old 04-06-2011 | 11:02 PM

Car: 1989 IROC 406 SBC (2012 Fusion)
Engine: 406 Chevy-World Sportsman heads
Transmission: 700R4 B&M, Redline clutches, 2800
Axle/Gears: Australian 9 bolt,I think 3.73

I may post pics tomorrow of the dash, the car pics are posted.
Old 04-07-2011 | 05:09 AM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by DoWork2day
Bought an 89 Iroc with the Nordskog digital display. It seems like it's just a flat glass display, I wonder if I can buy or make the trim, those half circle shapes to dress it up. Just got the car today, so far the tach isn't working, the gas is at 99 so it's not working, the oil-water-speedo are all working fine though. I have a separate gas guage..... can I buy dress up for the dash? Like I said it's just a glass panel without separation between the different readings for speedo, gas, oil pressure, etc.
actuall it is just a print with a black plexyglass infront of it.
but I also reinstalled the black bezel back infront of it. so you could actually do the same, just find 1 at your local scrapyard.