Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Anyone ever tried the do it youself headliner kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ever tried the do it youself headliner kit?

Pricing headliners and come across this on Ebay. Any good?
I cant afford a headliner. Hell, even buying this kit would be pushing it.

Anyone ever used one of these? I was wondering if it would look good or turn out like crap.
Any problem areas where it bunches up? What are the odds it will fall down without me touching it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...192327739&rd=1
Old 01-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700r4
Re: Anyone ever tried the do it youself headliner kit?

I've done a couple myself. Not a bad job for the average guy. I get the material at the local fabric store, glue at the parts store. Be real sure to get glue that's for headliners, any generic spray glue just won't hold it up there. I use a brush to clean off the foam remains from the backer board, needs to be pretty clean for the glue to stick.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 04 Silverado
Engine: 4.8
Transmission: auto

Headliners are easy, there are a TON of posts here on how to recover a headliner if you know how to search. I redid mine headliner, sail panels and visors for maybe $20 plus my labor
Old 01-22-2008, 10:17 PM

Is it hard to located the dome light/visor holes?
How did you do it for $20? Whered you find the fabric with the foam on it for that?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:21 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?

There are a few factors to consider when deciding whether or not to recover your headliner. The first is to determine the condition of the headliner. If it's cracked or broken, and you don't know how to repair it, you're not going to get good results recoverng it. Likewise, if you damage it during removal (which is NOT hard to do), you're in the same boat.

Then there's the actual process of recovering the headliner. Recovering a hardtop headliner is a piece of cake, and it's something that I think anybody can do as long as they take their time and are capable of following simple directions. Recovering a t-top headliner is quite a bit more involved, and requires practice and some forward thinking in terms of the sequence of steps you take. Getting the inner corners of the headliner to look good is difficult because the material doesn't stretch. There are ways around this, but they aren't things that a typical novice is likely to accomplish sucessfully. The t-top headliners are also more vunerable to breaking and deterioration because most of them have been leaked on at one time, and the material is a less rigid shape. I've seen a lot of guys here recover t-top headliners. A couple guys were proud of their work, and rightfully so... it looked good. But most often, I saw pics of headliners that looked like they were recovered by a 5-year old. I've done a few, and once I figured out the tricks, I had great results, but prior to that they didn't look good at all.

I'm certainly not trying to discourage anybody from trying... especially if you have a hard top. Hard top headliners are easy. But if you have a t-top car, just make sure you know what you're getting into before you wind up making a mess.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:18 PM

If i were to buy this kit, what was the nsame of the color the headliner came in for 89?
Theres a few shades of grey in the auction I think. Need help picking out the right one
Old 01-24-2008, 10:46 AM

Car: 1991 Z28 1LE
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

It doesn't really look like a kit, it just looks like the fabric and dome light clips.
Personally I wouldn't bother with it. You can go to fabric stores like Micheals or Joannas (they usually stock headliner fabric), pick out a color that matches yours closest. Then use a quality spray adhesive 3M.

I agree with Jim that T-top headliners can be very tricky for a first timer or even for someone who has done it a couple of times. Just go slowly and take yout time. I've done 2 T-top headliners myself and was very pleased with the results they weren't perfect but only noticeable with the tops off.

Also anything can be undone, on my first one the board was broken into 2 peices and I just used fiberglass cloth to re-join them and make the board stronger.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird Formula
Engine: 2004 LQ4
Transmission: T-5 WC

I redid mine, I broke the board around where the seatbelt goes through, so I took some fibreglass cloth, and epoxied that on, turned out pretty nice.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 04 Silverado
Engine: 4.8
Transmission: auto

This is what I did to fix the board. I didn't want to go buy anything so I cut strips of old cloth, saturated them in Elmers wood glue, set them, and it worked like a charm that glue dries hard as a rock
Old 04-13-2008, 11:20 PM

Will Michaels carry sand grey? Also, how do I tell if my headliner board is still good?
Old 04-14-2008, 12:05 PM

Car: Different Rides but 1991 Firebird
Engine: V6 3.1 in Bird

Joann Fabrics carries all of the great colors. 3m Headliner clue in the Orange can. Ive done headliners on non t tops cars and trucks and not hard at all, but did my 1st T Top headliner a month ago and just took my time and the inner corners where the hardest to do, but just take your time and a lot of pulling and glueing and pulling some more and for being my 1st time on a t top liner it came out great. The stuff that is stuck onto the liner when you pull off your old fabric is very easy to come off. Get your vaccum and the brush attachment and go to town and it will come all off. Good Luck. I got picks of the before and after but my camera is sick or dead.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:13 PM

How exactly do I take my headliner out to redo it out of the car? I have an 86 firebird with a hardtop.... The upholstry shot quoted me 175$ to recover it... Screw that.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:21 PM

I am stuck on the seat belt clips and the dome light?? I can get the back plastic pieces out but getting the headliner board in the front out is confusing me.

I am going to use the fabric thats on there and some good 3m 77 spray.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-21-2008, 10:04 PM

Car: 90 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 one wheel peel

Travis Odell did a pretty cool headliner, and he used a real rebel flag as the fabric!
Old 04-22-2008, 03:09 AM

Car: 1991 Z28 1LE
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56

for the dome light it is held on by 2 bolts, if you have the bolts that have a bar extending out of the bolts then take some needle nose pliers and just pull the clips off then a tiny wrench and take the bolts out.

The seatbelt peices are very hard to get off without breaking them try using 2 flattip screwdrivers and pushing in on either side lightly.

Are you saying that you're going to use the same fabric that is already on there? If so then it is really not going to look good, there is foam on the other side of the fabric and when you peel the fabric off some of the foam stays on the fabric and alot of it stays on the board. I highly recommend spending the $20 on brand new fabric.