Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.
View Poll Results: Should I use P&S?
Yes
52.94%
No
17.65%
Depends
29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Who has used Peel and Seal? Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: GTA
Engine: 383 HSR
Transmission: TH-700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Who has used Peel and Seal? Good or Bad?

This week I will be sound proofing the car. I have read up on the website comparisons and all that jazz. However, I have been looking into Peel and Seal.

It is rubber, mixed with asphalt substance that is self adhesive and comes with an aluminum backing just like dynamat.

Some say it is a hack job, some say it could smel, some say it was the greatest thing ever.

Voice your opinions please, I want to know your experiance with it.

If you have no experiance and ramble on with stupid nonsense about you get what you pay for then take a hike. I am looking for people who have personal experiance.

-Cale
Old 07-17-2007, 07:30 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Re: Who has used Peel and Seal? Good or Bad?

It depends. I've used it in the doors of my Camry, and I've used it on smaller items in various cars with good results. It's important to make sure that the surface you're putting it on is very clean, and after I stick it in place I use a heat gun to get it good and hot, then press and/or roll it so that it will adhere well. If you don't heat it and press it on while it's hot, it will likely peel off at some point in the future.

Also, I don't use it for roofs or trunk lids, because this material is fairly heavy, and can't handle the same kind of heat that the name brand stuff can handle, and I can't imagine the mess it would make if it were to separate from a roof or trunk lid. I've talked to a lot of people, especially those in hotter climates, who have wound up with an awful mess because the peel & seel separated from their roof or trunk lid.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:50 PM
Supreme Member

What I am looking to do is use the P&S on the floor only, and the super quality stuff on the doors and roof later in the future. My floor gets hot as a mother and I could use some sound deadening.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 82z28
Engine: 406
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.23

quite a bit of experience over at www.splbassx.com
Old 07-18-2007, 12:47 PM

Car: 87 formula
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T5

I voted no. I haven't used peel and seal, but there are butyl based sound deadeners that are pretty cheap. I know elemental designs gives a 20 % discount on their stuff if you type in forum in the search on their web site.

I guess it depends how cheap that stuff actually is. You can get the skinny V1 from elemental designs for 80 cents a square foot. Another thing to consider is you might have to air out your car if what people saying about it smelling bad is true.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 87 formy
I voted no. I haven't used peel and seal, but there are butyl based sound deadeners that are pretty cheap. I know elemental designs gives a 20 % discount on their stuff if you type in forum in the search on their web site.

I guess it depends how cheap that stuff actually is. You can get the skinny V1 from elemental designs for 80 cents a square foot. Another thing to consider is you might have to air out your car if what people saying about it smelling bad is true.
Why would you vote against something you know nothing about?
Old 07-18-2007, 02:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73

I've used it, all over my black Trans-am, including the roof.

I'm not exactly in Texas, so i'm not sure about heat resistance, but it is a black car, and it's gotten up to mid 30's here in Calgary. Don't fool yourself into thinking it's easy to remove, once it's on IT'S NEVER COMING OFF, unless you use a heat gun, and a scraper. Try it as an experiment, use a heat gun, and roll it onto your floor panel. Put away the heat gun, let it dry up for a day. Then try to remove it, without the heat gun. I guarantee you won't get it off nicely, or with your sanity intact.

I'll vote yes for it here, the price is pretty good, I think I bought 6 rolls at $13/roll, and I have 1.5 rolls left to finish the doors.

Email me if you want some pictures of it, I think I have some on my computer at home.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: sbc 400
Transmission: th350

Being a previous and current user, I voted "depends". this stuff does a decent job at a good price. I would not use it on the roof out of fear that it may fall and make a decent mess. However, it did stand up to my cargo area pretty well without any real issues. Couple parts peeled a bit after 4 years, but they were areas i know i didn't prep all that well. i never had any smell, maybe a little in the first hot summer, but nothing that bad. i was on a crunch with time on my current install, so i ended up using it again. had i more time and thought this one out a bit more, i probably would have gone with raammat because price/performance is better.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by nelapse
Why would you vote against something you know nothing about?
I voted no because from the prices I saw on the internet it isn't any cheaper than good car sound deadener. I mainly voted no because it's asphalt based. In hot and cold temperatures it'll eventually become brittle and come off. You guys would have to tell me how much it costs for a roll, because unless it's really cheap, I'd take something that's butyl based and wont ever come loose.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Supreme Member

If you've never used "good car stuff" or "cheap inferior stuff" how can you say how easily one is going to fall off, and how much better the other one is?

I've seen (not installed) dynamat, and it seems identical to peel-n-seal. I'm going out on a limb to say that you're paying for the name, like most things in this type of industry.

I'm just saying don't knock it until you've tried it. It's not like double sided tape or something, this is the stickiest stuff i've ever dealt with - ever. It's a PAIN to work with, which means I don't think it'll ever come off. It stunk when I was using a heat gun to install it, but never since. Not in a nice hot day driving around for hours.

Here's the only picture I could find of it in there. I was just showing what stuff I was going to put in stereo wise. The black mud there is rocker guard from a gallon pail. That stuff WILL heat up and wipe off, I have it dripping from the underside of my car now But in curvy areas I used it instead of the peel-n-seal.
Attached Thumbnails Who has used Peel and Seal? Good or Bad?-stereo-stuff.jpg  
Old 07-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 S10 pickup 2700lbs
Engine: 4.3L Z TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08 7.625"

ok wow interesting thread here and good timing too,

i have a car i have to sound deaden and ASAP because we are buying new carpet VERY SOON and i have no clue what this peel and seal is or where you get it and how much it is

i went to summit racing and looked up dynamat and holy crap thats stuff is 200 bucks!

wtf ??

13 a roll ??

where ??

help ??

thanks..

Last edited by Randy82WS7; 07-18-2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:34 PM

Car: 86 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 V8 carb'd
Transmission: 700r4

You get it at lowes in the roofing dept.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...17-81326-PS625
Old 07-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Supreme Member

And only at Lowes... I got my mom to pick up 6 rolls from me when she was in Montana. $13 is for a 6"x25' roll I think.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:52 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 S10 pickup 2700lbs
Engine: 4.3L Z TBI
Axle/Gears: 3.08 7.625"

nice

i gotta go and get that then like tomorrow and get this thing ready for the new carpet

thanks
Old 07-19-2007, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Sonix
If you've never used "good car stuff" or "cheap inferior stuff" how can you say how easily one is going to fall off, and how much better the other one is?
I've used what I consider good products. I put in raammat and elemental designs v1se in my truck. They were both easy to install and IMO wont ever come off. Both were relatively cheap at around 2 dollars a square foot (less for the ED and more for the raammat) and there is decent stuff out there at comparable prices to peel and seal.

The only reason why I'm arguing against peel and seal is because for a little bit more money you can be sure that what you put in your car is good. With peel and seal some people have luck with it and some people don't. I don't see any reason for anyone not to pay a little more (less even for the discounted ED v1) to know something will work well. Do you really want a whole mess of peel and seal in your floor if your one of the people that doesn't have luck with it?

Anyway, everyone else in this thread seems to be in love with peel and seal, so put it in your car. As long as it's not in mine I don't care.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:57 AM

Car: '85 TA
Engine: Aluminum Fuelie
Transmission: Mother of All Manuals

Go with RAAMmat, V1SE, or Second Skin Damplifier. I've used both RAAMmat and Damplifier, and I would say they are about the same. It all depends on the quality you're looking for; I would never go with the junk meant for roofs.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:14 PM
TGO Supporter

I've seen (not installed) dynamat... blah blah blah
So you've never used the good stuff either, but your opinion is any more valid than his?
Old 07-19-2007, 02:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 1985 Iroc-Z
Engine: 440LSX
Transmission: l460e
Axle/Gears: 3.55 Wavetrac

I used Peel and Seal on the entire cargo and passenger area floors on my 85. I used Dynamat on the installation of my sail panel speakers. Dynamat is a more pliable material to work with and is not as "sticky" and is easier to mould around the various contours of our cars. Peel and Seal is stiffer and a little tougher to cut and shape for fitting in those contours I mentioned above. It also cost a lot less money. I spent about $60.00 on Peal and Seal to do my floorboards. It would have cost me about $500.00 if I used Dynamat. As for odors, I have had no problems and I live in the Houston area(HOT). I also added a ACC carpet set with the mass backing soundproofing insulation. The results were great with the combo of the two.A lot less road noise and no hot floorboards. I was concerned about the possible odor problem and maybe with the new carpet with the mass backing it keeps it in check, I don't know. All said I am pleased with the results.By the way, I did not use anything on the roof areas as I have t-tops and had already installed the headliner before I insulated the floorboards. Hope this helps. Badman
Old 07-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
So you've never used the good stuff either, but your opinion is any more valid than his?
oh I'm not saying Dynamat is bad. I have no doubt it's a good product. I'm not saying anything about the product I know nothing about, i'm just saying that the product I have used is good, and stands up to the rigors (since i've used it, I can say that). If he hasn't used peel-n-seal he can't say it's bad eh?
Just like I can't say Dynamat is bad.
Anyway, that's just symantecs...

Badman - that's a good post right there, a solid back to back test, I appreciate it.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:44 PM
TGO Supporter

oh I'm not saying Dynamat is bad. I have no doubt it's a good product. I'm not saying anything about the product I know nothing about, i'm just saying that the product I have used is good, and stands up to the rigors (since i've used it, I can say that). If he hasn't used peel-n-seal he can't say it's bad eh?
It's your assumption that Dynamat is the same as peel and seel that I'm commenting on. It may look the same, but that doesn't mean it is. The compounds are different, and the dynamat (along with all of the other car-specific products) are much more heat resistant. If you take a look at the tests in the link I posted earlier, you'll see that the failures occur at very different temperatures. That's not to say that Dynamat is superior or not, but there are differences that may be worth the money to some buyers.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:43 PM
Supreme Member

The way I see it, the way I planned it from the get go is, use Peel and Seal on the floor only. If it gets too hot a melty who cares? It will not fall anywhere... it has aluminum backing like dynamat and will not seep through my carpet and the smell shouldnt be a huge deal since I will still use oem sound deadener. If I have to I will duct tape the edges to completely seal each piece to eachother.

As for the sides of the car and roof, I will use the most heat resistant I can find since I get 120 heat index daily. I was planning on doing this much later. I am replacing my carpet friday and that is why I am only doing the floor.

I can take pictures and do a step by step if anyone is interested and I can measure how much I used as reference.

Is thread should not be a debate. It is suppose to be a collection of people who have actually used it and shared their experiance.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Supreme Member

By the way I forgot to mention something. I also sealed all edges of the Peel and Seal with foil tape, the kind you use on A/C ducts. It gave it a cleaner look and covered areas where I had to piece together overlapping sections. The downside is the tape is pricey, about $6.00 a roll. I would post pics but for some reason they have disappeared from my computer.Maybe they melted from the heat! Badman
Old 07-19-2007, 09:13 PM
Supreme Member

Badman - that's a good post right there, a solid back to back test, I appreciate it.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I used P&S in my car, when I had the interior out.

I'm pretty happy with it, It's much cheaper then Dynamat , and I like that you can just go to Lowes to get it.

To make it a little easier to install, I got it warm before applying. It's a little more flexible that way

Old 07-29-2007, 11:07 PM

When I restored my '69 Charger, I covered the entire floor area with P&S, and it most certainly helped. I will say that I wished I'd used a more "professional / heavier" product for my firewall to further reduce heat and sound transmission from the engine bay.

A couple years ago, I built a 3000GT VR4, and in that car I used exclusively Dynamat Extreme throughout the entire car.... I wished I'd researched more before using it due to the "Extreme" price involved. But, on that note, sound and heat were both dramatically reduced.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:32 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Camaro SC, 1999 Z28
Engine: GMPP 350HO, LS1
Transmission: Built 700r4/EDGE 3200, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Eaton 7.625, 3.42 Zexel Torsen

just picked up a roll of P&S yesterday, going to experiment with it in my cargo area tomorrow.

should make a big difference, seeing all i have is carpet and floorpans, lol. think it will quiet down my 80 series any?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:30 AM
Supreme Member

I did my entire floor last weekend. I am very pleased with the results. I left the car in my shop, windows up at 110* for the whole work week. When I opened it up, no tar smell.

I am happy with my results, the sound is much better and the heat from the firewall is gone.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:41 PM

Car: 1985 z-28
Engine: 350ci
Transmission: 700-r4

I applied my Peal and Seal in the winter with only heating the roll indoors. I used spray adhesive for extra stick. That stuff is not coming off with the spray adehesive on freshly por15'd floor boards!

Only advise is to do every square inch around the trans tunnel and the firewall because with aftermarket carpet and no insulation it really heats up. I have long tube headers and they get hot on the floor.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:20 PM

Car: 85 Z28. 95 Chevy silverado1/2/ton
Engine: 350/TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.73 duragrip posi

thanx folks this is some great info on the products and quality!! but can some one help me with how to get the product inside the doors or should i even worry about that part. once again thanx for the great help i think i willl go with second skin in my 85 Z28.